[geeklog-translations] Fwd: Bad spanish translation! (better later than never) Please, Tell me if ramiro update spanish.php, if not i will do it.

Fernando Bernardini f.bernardini at mchsi.com
Mon Mar 17 05:42:31 EST 2003

I just see this  post in the mailing list webpage, and as nobody answer to it in the last two weeks, I feel like doing it.

Ramiro Téllez Sanz  is right.  I'm native spanish lenguage, and i have to say there are some mistakes in the spanish.php file.

I'm running geeklog-1.3.7sr1 , i installed yesterday.  I'm going to fix all these mistakes in the spanish.php file and send it back to ??? Who am i suppose to send it??

I don't agree with Ramiro in some situations, because he speak "Real Academy Spain" and i speak "Castellano" (wich is a Spanish dialect).
  per example "enviar a un amigo" (send to a friend) is fine the way it is, you don't need to change it to "enviar a alguien".   (Ramiro's suggestion in this case is not wrong but unnecessary for "Castellano dialect)

Also, i found more mistakes that ramiro didn't mention, I will fix all the ones he's mention and all the ones he skip too.

Ramiro said:
* "Next" is not "próximo" in your case, but "Siguiente".    (I think that "próximo" work fine in some situations to replace next, but in some other situations "Siguiente" will work better)   (it seems that for "Real academy Spain" it sound wrong all the time).

* "Previous" should be "Anterior"   ( i totally agree with this, but i did search for Previous in Spanish.php file and i couldn't find anything that match that word)  Ramiro, Where did you see this word?.

* "Limite por comentario" should be "Límite por comentario" (note the
accented í). Then, "El valor por defecto es 100" should be "El valor                   (i totally agree with this, Limite goes allways with accent in i in every dialect)
por misión es 100". Finally, "Grabar la información" is as simple as
"Guardar" ;-)

etc. etc. etc.

Well, I hope somebody tell me if Ramiro update the file, so i won't lose time doing what somebody did.

If he didn't do it, i will make it and i will make a report of every change  specifying the "line number" of the change in spanish.php

Thanks for making Geeklog, the minum thing i can do is contribute to make it better.

bye the way, Spanish is number 3 speaking lenguage in the world, so as you can imagine there are plenty of diferent dialect.
As an example of dialect, the word "catch " in english is the same as "cojer" in Spain, but in my country (Argentina) the word "cojer" means "having sex".   So, even speaking the same lenguage, the use of words are sometimes very different in different countries.

Argentina (south America) and many other south American countries speak a dialect called "Castellano", wich is very very very simillar to "Real academy spanish" (the one that is talked in spain), but different at the same time.  Spain people use synonyms that we don't use.

That's why i sometimes disagree with Ramiro. Some synonyms that "Spain" people is used to listen and read every days, don't sound good for "Castellanos" people.   In fact "Castilla" is a state in Spain where most of South American countries inherit their dialect.

So instead of modifying spanish.php I'm thinking of creating a new one called  Castellano.php   that will match to a bunch of countries and regions that speak this dialect.

What do you think??

I'm waiting for orders!!!

It's like British english and American english, and Canadian english, and Australian english, etc. etc.  They understand each other, but they use different synonyms for different situations.  Sometimes Even in the same country, I live in California right now, and pepole from here speak very different than people from New York, etc. etc.

So, would you mind if I create a new one called Castellano?

Thanks!!!

FB.