[BwayDems] September 9th Meeting - Forum on the #LessisMoreNY Act & ANNOUNCEMENT about Club Vacancies

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Sun Sep 5 00:06:42 EDT 2021

Justreminding everyone to join us for our September 9th club meeting, Stop theParole-to-Prison Pipeline!, on Zoom starting at 7:30pm. We have a vibrant panelof speakers to talk about the #LessisMoreNY Act, including staff from the KatalCenter for Equity, Health & Justice, staff from the Center for Justice atColumbia University, NYCLU Executive Director Donna Lieberman, and personsadversely affected by the current parole system. The act has passed both housesof the legislature in June and now only needs Gov. Kathy Hochul's signature tobecome law. The meeting starts at 7:30 p.m. sharp; the first half hour will beclub business, with the forum starting at 8:00pm.
Comelearn about this commonsense Criminal Justice reform bill, which has beenendorsed by several D.A.'s and many other law enforcement officials, as well asover 300 civil rights organizations and community groups, and join us in TakingAction and asking Gov. Hochul to sign it ASAP. State Sen. Brian Benjamin –recently nominated by Gov. Hochul to serve as our next Lt. Gov. - is the#LessIsMoreNYsponsor in the Senate. State Sen. Robert Jackson and AssemblymemberDanny O'Donnell are co-sponsors of the bill.
RSVPat: bit.ly/broadwaydems-sept9

Officerand Steering Committee Member Vacancies

Muchto our sorrow, Club President Heather Ducharme has resigned from office toattend law school. Therefore, we have a vacancy for Club President. OurVice-President and previous President, Joe Nunley is serving as actingPresident and would like to run to serve the remainder of the unexpired term.

Thiswill create a domino effect of possible vacancies. If our Vice-Presidentbecomes President, we have a vacancy for Vice-President. Our RecordingSecretary, Richard Siegel, who has been Vice-President and Presidentpreviously, is interested in running to fill the vacancy. If Richard iselected, there will be a vacancy for Recording Secretary which SteeringCommittee Member Laura Mandel has volunteered to run for. If Laura is elected,there will be a vacancy for the Steering Committee.

Inall these cases, additional nominations for Officers and Steering Committee maybe made from the floor at the meeting. Please consider nominating yourself, orsomeone else who's willing and able!

It’sa little bit like the old lady who swallowed a fly . . .

Eligibilityto Vote in Club Elections

You’llbe able to participate by phone, even if you can't use the Zoom video features.Here's how to pay your dues and how to vote. To vote in club elections, youmust be an eligible, voting member of the Broadway Democrats.

   - You mustlive in the 69th Assembly District, or an area that used to be in the 69th ADbefore redistricting;
   - You musthave attended at least one of the previous nine monthly public meetings; and
   - You mustbe up to date with your membership dues.

Dues ($10 seniors/students, $25 all others) can be paidthrough PayPal using your Paypal account or your debit/credit card on ourwebsite at http://www.broadwaydemocrats.org/pay-your-annual-dues.htmlOR paid by check mailed to the Broadway Democrats, P.O.Box 1099 Cathedral Station, New York, NY 10025. Please let us know ifyou mail a check.

Thingshave been confusing in our virtual world. If you’re unclear whether you’veattended one of the previous nine monthly public meetings or any of the otherrules OR if you can’t zoom at all, please feel free to contact District LeadersPaula Diamond Román & Curtis Arluck atdistrictleaders at broadwaydemocrats.org

Welook forward to "seeing" you September 9th! RSVP at: bit.ly/broadwaydems-sept9