[BwayDems] Fwd: Manhattan Community Board 7 ADVISORY

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:54:50 EDT 2020

From: Community Board 7 / Manhattan <mail at cb7.org>
Date: Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 12:50 PM

| MCB7 SPEACIAL COMMUNITY ADVISORY |

|   |

|  |

| Community Advisory Notices |

|  |

Dear Members of our Upper West Side Community:
The challenges and consequences of the responses to the Coronavirus and Covid-19 seem to be expanding on a logarithmic scale. We offer the following sources of information in hopes they are useful, recognizing that you will want to keep checking trusted sources of information regularly to keep up with the latest. We hope this will enable you to remain safe and healthy through this crisis.
The Most Vulnerable Among UsWe recognize that the links to information shared below may be of limited utility to the most vulnerable among us, including the elderly, the very young, those with existing infirmity or health issues, and the mobility challenged, as well as those caring for them. Just as in Superstorm Sandy, the aftermath of September 11th, and the transit strikes, we will all be grateful for anyone who is able to look in on and shop or otherwise provide for those in our buildings, neighborhoods or sphere who would otherwise go without in the midst of the larger-scale responses to this crisis.
CB7 In-Person Meetings for the Rest of March are CancelledWe at Community Board 7 have taken actions in accordance with the advice of experts to try to balance our completing the essential work on our plates while protecting the public and each other from unnecessary risks of the transmission of the virus.To that end, all in-person CB7 public meetings have been cancelled through the end of March. We will evaluate how to handle our April calendar at our virtual Steering Committee meeting on Tuesday, March 17th, beginning at 6:30. We are working out whether that meeting will simply be a conference call (to which the public is invited to participate) or an interactive online virtual meeting – please stay tuned to our email blasts for further details.
The CB7 District Office Staff Will Be Working Remotely Until Further NoticeIn keeping with the latest recommendations, the CB7 District Office Staff will work remotely, and the Office will be closed until further notice.The Staff will have remote access to the computer server and databases maintained by the Office during this period, and should be able to continue their work.Responding to emails, the processing of applications and all of the other work of the District Office and the Board will continue via remote access, and should encounter minimal disruption. If you encounter significant problems with connectivity or responses, please let the Chair of the Board know via email (address below).Telephone calls to the District Office will go to voicemail, which will be checked at least once per hour during normal business hours, and the Staff will respond or refer the calls after retrieving them from the voicemail system.
The Latest on Prevention, Diagnosis and TreatmentSources of information on prevention, diagnosis and treatment relating to the Coronavirus and Covid-19 infections can be found at the following websites (which appear to be updated frequently), among many others:
>From New York City:https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/health/health-topics/coronavirus.page
>From New York State:https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus/
>From the Centers for Disease Control:https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2Findex.html
To sign up for the New York City text notification system relating to Covid-19, you may: Text “COVID” to 692-692.
Public SchoolsNew York City Public Schools will close starting Monday, March 16th. As of this writing, the plan is for schools to remain closed until the end of the previously scheduled Spring Recess (Monday, April 20th). Public school students will engage in one or more forms of remote learning, and teachers will use the time for, among other things, professional development. Certain facilities will be made available to the children of certain health care workers, first responders and others during the period of closure.
For the latest details and information, please consult the Department of Education website:https://www.schools.nyc.gov/alerts/nyc-public-schools-will-close-starting-monday-march-16-2020
Additional information for public school families is available at:https://www.schools.nyc.gov/school-life/health-and-wellness/coronavirus-update
The Community Education Council for Community School District 3 (Upper West Side and Southern Central Harlem) has cancelled its public meetings through the end of March, and will post further details on its website:https://www.cec3.org/
Charter, Private and Religious SchoolsAs of this writing, most charter, private, independent and religious schools serving students in CB7’s District have been or will be closed leading in to their Spring Break, which for all but charter schools are on a different timetable than that observed by most public schools. Information about charter, private, independent and religious school closures is available from one or more of the following sources:https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/nyregion/school-closings-ny-nj.htmlhttps://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/nyc-schools-closed-coronavirushttps://abc7ny.com/health/live-mayor-de-blasio-to-make-an-announcement-regarding-nyc-schools-/5989875/https://catholicschoolsny.org/advocacy-services/corona-virus/
Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Movie Theaters and Entertainment VenuesBy order of the Mayor, effective as of March 17 at 9 AM: To prevent the further spread of COVID-19, all bars, restaurants, and cafes are limited to take-out and delivery.All nightclubs, movie theaters, and entertainment venues must close.It appears that the only way to patronize local eateries is through take-out/delivery, and we encourage you to check directly with the restaurants, cafes and the like as to their hours, offerings and availability. Doubtless they will welcome continued business.
As you know, virtually all organized sports at the professional and college levels have either cancelled or indefinitely suspended their operations.Other Large Scale Gatherings – Cancellations and Social-Distancing
As you doubtless have already heard, Governor Cuomo has directed that events at which more than 500 people are expected to gather are to be canceled, and there are directed restrictions on gatherings of fewer than 500 people to require space between participants.
The Governor’s directions can be found at:https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/during-novel-coronavirus-briefing-governor-cuomo-announces-new-mass-gatherings-regulations
Social Distance: Some helpful guidance on how to maintain appropriate social-distance in public spaces can be found at:https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-what-does-social-distancing-mean/607927/
Also as you likely have heard, scores of arts, cultural, sports and entertainment events have been cancelled or closed. One source of closings and cancellations relating to events on the Upper West Side can be found at:https://www.westsiderag.com/2020/03/12/coronavirus-related-closings-on-the-upper-west-side-a-running-list#comment-410310
A Word About Small BusinessesWe at CB7 do not presume to question or contradict the advice of experts on the best practices in the current environment, and recognize that not all of our residents have the same vulnerabilities to this pandemic.Without retreating from that position, we are also keenly concerned for our small businesses in our neighborhoods, and for the workers at our local businesses, who will be affected by the economic consequences of the responses to the outbreak.
Shop Locally When Possible. To the extent safe and consistent with applicable directions, including without limitation the Governor’s direction on capacity at public gatherings, we encourage everyone, now more than ever, to shop locally and consider the impact of even small purchases on the stores in our community. While it may be convenient to order from online services for groceries and other goods, if a safe way to shop our local stores is an alternative, we hope you will consider it. We already have a scourge of empty storefronts, and hope not to add to that condition.
Renewing our hope that you remain safe and healthy –
Mark DillerChair, Community Board 7/Manhattan markdillercb7 at gmail.com917-691-0865 |

|  |

|   |

|  |

|  ‌ ‌ |

|  |

|  |

|  Community Board 7 / Manhattan | 250 West 87th Street, (Broadway & West End Avenue), New York, NY 10024  |