[BwayDems] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- NEW YORK ASSEMBLY MEMBER O'DONNELL PROUDLY APPLAUDS LANDMARK SUPREME COURT DECISION ALLOWING FOR GREATER FREEDOM AND EQUALITY FOR SAME-SEX COUPLES

Callie Wilson callieewilson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 10:08:17 EDT 2015

NEWS FROM ASSEMBLY MEMBER DANIEL O'DONNELL

Contact: Callie Wilson, 206-898-2918; callieewilson at gmail.com
245 W 104th Street, New York, NY 10025

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NEW YORK ASSEMBLY MEMBER O'DONNELL PROUDLY APPLAUDS LANDMARK SUPREME COURT
DECISION ALLOWING FOR GREATER FREEDOM AND EQUALITY FOR SAME-SEX COUPLES

June 25, 2015-- Elated by today’s historic and long-awaited Supreme Court
decision, which would require all U.S. States to offer same-sex marriage,
Assembly Member O’Donnell said the following:

"I am immensely proud to be American today. The Supreme Court majority
opinion affirmed our entire country’s commitment to its founding principles
of liberty and equality. LGBT Americans are being told that their rights
matter, and their humanity is recognized at a Constitutional level, not
considered a matter of public opinion or individual state preference.
Today's decision will have a profound impact on so many individual lives.
As someone who once abandoned a dream of being an elected official and
lived for over a decade in a closeted relationship, I know how important
societal recognition is.

"Let us rejoice in our hard fought victory, and then use it to keep
struggling for true equality, freedom from workplace discrimination, and
rights for the transgender community. I know today is just the first of
many national victories that will help us achieve equal treatment for all
citizens, and I am eager to see what the next generation will achieve with
so many more doors open to each of them."

###

Daniel O’Donnell, the first openly gay man elected to the New York State
Assembly, has been a progressive voice advocating fair and sensible
legislation since he was elected to represent the 69th District in 2002,
including the author and sponsor of New York State’s Marriage Equality Law,
which was signed into law in 2011. His district includes Manhattan Valley,
Morningside Heights, and the Upper West Side.