[BwayDems] Thanks for attending last Thursday's forum - follow-up

Pat Almonrode palmonrode at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 16:11:33 EDT 2015

Dear all,

Thanks to those who attended the Broadway Democrats' forum on Thursday
night. We were treated to two informative presentations about environmental
issues affecting all New Yorkers, and we had the opportunity for some
interesting discussion.

*Sean Dixon, Staff Attorney with Riverkeeper, gave a presentation about
crude oil transportation on the Hudson.* Right now, many millions of
gallons come down the Hudson from the Port of Albany, on barges, tankers,
trains, and through pipelines. Some of this is crude from the Bakken
formation in North Dakota, which is very volatile and has already been
involved in numerous explosions around the country; some of it is from the
Alberta Tar Sands in Canada, and the consistency and other properties of
this oil make clean-up extremely difficult, especially if spilled in water.
Inspection and oversight of the infrastructure used to move this oil is
woefully inadequate. I've attached a pdf of a slightly different version of
the presentation. The last page includes some actions you can take.

*Our second presentation on Thursday was from the Sierra Club. Volunteers
Steve Preskill and Roger (whose last name I didn't get) presented Sierra's
new Beyond Coal campaign*, a concentrated effort to stop the use of this
dirty, destructive fuel for electricity generation in New York State. I've
attached a fact sheet about that program - which also includes some action
steps.

*For Earth Day:* I encourage you to take part in any or all of the *actions
planned for next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday by Rising Tide-NYC and
others
<https://www.facebook.com/events/522774071194271/permalink/526013407537004/>.*

*And finally: *Please consider joining *350NYC <http://350nyc.org/>* and/or
the *People's Climate Movement-NYC <https://www.facebook.com/pcmny>* to
help fight climate change - about which *President Obama said (just today)
"there's no greater threat to our planet." <https://youtu.be/_csblV1PJ4o>*

Thanks, and Happy Earth Day (next Wednesday)!

Pat Almonrode
Secretary, Broadway Democrats