[BwayDems] MUST READ ABOUT PEOPLE'S CLIMATE MARCH

LizSostre at aol.com LizSostre at aol.com
Fri Sep 19 19:53:06 EDT 2014

Join the People’s Climate March –
Sunday, September 2lst
Pat  Almonrode
Secretary, Broadway Democrats
On Sunday,  September 21, thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands) of
people will take to  the streets of Manhattan for The People’s Climate March,
demanding strong action  to confront the impending climate crisis.  The March
is timed to catch the attention of world leaders, who’ll be in  town for
the UN General Assembly and for the special UN Climate Summit, called  by
Secretary General Ban Ki-moon for the 23rd.  We’ll march to show them that there
is popular will for a binding global  climate treaty to sharply reduce
emissions of greenhouse gases.
We’ll also be  marching for climate justice,  demanding solutions that
prioritize communities and peoples that are already  feeling the effects of
climate change – primarily marginalized, low-income,  communities of color, here
in the US and throughout the world.  The people already most affected by
climate change, and those most likely to continue to be affected as the
climate  spirals into chaos, are those who have contributed the least to the
problem.  So we’ll be marching to demand the world  we know is actually within
our reach:  a world with an economy that works for people and the planet; a
world safe from  the ravages of climate change; a world with good jobs, clean
air and water, and  healthy communities for all.
The March has  been planned and organized by a large and diverse coalition
of groups – labor,  faith, social-justice, and environmental.This is not
just about saving the polar  bears – the environment is where we all live,
work, play, learn, and  love.  And the March will be much  more than just the
usual bunch of liberal white tree-huggers – the March will be  led by members
of these frontline communities, and by indigenous groups from  around the
world, including some from small-island nations whose very existence  is
threatened by the sea-level rise associated with climate change.  Also, hundreds
of major labor groups  have signed on to march, in recognition that the “
climate-vs-jobs” formulation  of the fossil-fuel industry is a false dichotomy,
and that we’re all in this together.
As those of  us organizing the March like to say, “to change everything, we
need everyone” –  and that includes you.  Come help us make history!  Here’
s what you need to know to  participate:
·        The March will start at Columbus Circle;  go east on 59th Street
to 6th Avenue; south on 6th Avenue to 42nd Street; and  west on 42nd Street
to 11th Avenue; ending on 11th Avenue between 38th and 34th  Streets:

·        The March is organized by contingents or  affinity groups.  There
will be  contingents for labor, faith, the arts, the Bronx, anti-fracking,
LGBTQ, parents  and children, elected officials – you name it, somebody has
organized a group to  participate in the March.  Of  course, all are welcome
to march simply as individuals, but you might want to  find a contingent to
march with.  The best way to do that is to go to the March website, and find
a  group.  You can do that at http://peoplesclimate.org/organizing
·        Don’t go to Columbus Circle to join the  March!  The different
contingents will each have a pre-March assembly area; most of these will be
along Central Park West, north of Columbus Circle.  The assembly areas will
be posted on the  website (http://peoplesclimate.org//march/) once they’re
determined.  Unaffiliated folks will probably be  directed to file in behind
the last organized contingent – so if you’re  unaffiliated, you might not
start marching until 1:00, 1:30 or even  later.
·        It will probably take about two hours to  walk the whole route.
There will be accommodations for those who  don’t want to (or can’t) walk
the whole distance.  Again, watch the website
http://peoplesclimate.org//march/.
·        There is no kickoff rally planned;  however, all are welcome to
the multi-faith prayer service of the Interfaith  Contingent.  That service
will start  at 11:00 at the Interfaith Contingent’s assembly area – 58th
Street between 8th  and 9th Avenues (note: this contingent will not assemble on
Central Park West  because it’s likely to be too large).
·        There are no plans for a  rally/concert/speeches at the end of the
March, but there will be some inspirational, educational,  and fun events
to mark the finish.  For more information, watch the website –
http://peoplesclimate.org//march/.  There will also be a closing multi-faith  service at
6:00 pm at the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine, with more  world-class
musicians, powerful speakers, and numerous dignitaries in  attendance.
Because of the expected  crowds and heightened security, you should plan to get
there early.  Passes are not required but are strongly suggested; go to
http://religionsfortheearth.splashthat.com to request a pass.
·        Finally, one reason this March will be  so big is that thousands
of people are coming from all over the country to join  us.  Many of them
will need a place  to stay for a night or two.  If you have a spare bedroom, a
couch, or  even space on your floor for a sleeping bag, please host a
visiting marcher or  two.  Go to www.humanhotel.com to  register as a host.
Please join  us on Sunday, September 21 as we make history!  If you have
any questions, please feel  free to email me (Pat Almonrode) at
palmonrode at gmail.com.
See you in  the streets on the 21st!