[BwayDems] [Rep. Rangel] Fwd: COLLEGE MENTORING INFO SESSION (4/17 5:30pm at Aguilar Library in East Harlem)

Socrates Solano socrates.solano at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 12:46:26 EDT 2014

[image: College Mentoring Info Session]

*RANGEL TO HOST COLLEGE MENTORING INFO SESSION *

NEW YORK, NY- Congressman Charles B. Rangel will be hosting the event *"College
Mentoring Info Session" on Thursday, April 17 from 5:30pm to 6:30pm at the
Aguilar Library on 174 E 110th St, New York, NY. *The event will feature a
presentation by Marianna Tu, Chief Program Officer America Needs You, which
provides intensive career development, mentorship, and professional
networks to enable students to realize their aspirations. The presentation
will include information for college students and high school seniors on
how to apply for the program.

"I strongly believe that we must give every possible amount of support to
our youth so that future generations will have the ability to succeed in a
global economy and face the challenges of tomorrow," said Rangel, who is
also one of the earliest co-sponsors of the DREAM Act when it was first
introduced in 2001. "Education is key to lifting people out of poverty and
opening doors to opportunity. I am dedicated to providing adequate
resources for our students to help them achieve their dreams."

Over this decade, employment in jobs requiring education beyond a high
school diploma will grow more rapidly than employment in jobs that do not.
Of the 30 fastest growing occupations, more than half require postsecondary
education. With the average earnings of college graduates at a level that
is twice as high as that of workers with only a high school diploma, higher
education is now the clearest pathway into the middle class.

Currently 96% of America Needs You's Fellows persist in college, over 94%
completing internships, and 100% successfully transferring from community
college to four-year institutions. With an average starting salary of
$52,000, America Needs You's Alumni are well on their way, with 91%
reporting their work is in their industry of choice.

For more details and to RSVP for the event, please visit
http://rangel.house.gov/event/college-mentoring-info-session

###

*Hannah Kim*
Communications Director