[BwayDems] a letter from Marc Landis for City Council (District 6)

Marc Landis landisforny at gmail.com
Thu May 9 01:32:59 EDT 2013

Dear Broadway Democrats members,

*I’m running for City Council because I want to make sure that the Upper
West Side, and all of New York City, can be what we dream – a
multigenerational, economically and culturally diverse community where we
can raise our families, watch out for our neighbors, and lead the fight for
economic and social justice.*

Times are tough for many of our neighbors – the cost of rent, food and
everything else keeps going up, while wages stagnate, benefits are reduced
and pensions are at risk. Our public school teachers struggle with the
Tweed bureaucracy and “teaching to the test.” Our small businesses are
under siege from increased rents and nuisance fees.

*We need New York City to work for all of us, protecting working families
and strengthening the middle class – and this year’s city elections give us
the opportunity to take concrete action. My priorities for New York City
include:*

- Protecting existing affordable housing on the Upper West Side, and
creating new affordable housing units on the Upper West Side and throughout
New York City, including ownership of affordable cooperatives and
condominiums.
- Ensuring that every NYC public school student has access to a
fully-funded, top quality education, and lifting up all of our schools to
meet that standard through smaller class sizes and increased attention to
every student’s individual needs.
- Protecting and enhancing our quality of life and public safety by
supporting our senior centers, parks, playgrounds, libraries and the mass
transit system that holds everything together.
- Electing a City Council Speaker who will be focused on progressive
goals, and reforming City Council rules and procedures to eliminate “lulus”
and the political distribution of member items.
- Fighting for a budget that provides a helping hand to New Yorkers in
need, treats workers fairly, and invests in NYC’s aging infrastructure.
- Reforming our tax system so that NYC’s need for additional revenue
falls upon those most able to pay the bill, rather than the most vulnerable.

It’s easy for people to talk about these priorities; quite another to have
the experience to make them happen. As a veteran activist, I have a record
of fighting to make change happen:

- Fighting for campaign finance reform through Citizen Action of New
York.
- Suing the Salvation Army to protect low- and moderate-income women,
including seniors and survivors of domestic violence, from mass-eviction.
- Building a coalition to create Frank McCourt High School on West
84thStreet.
- Halting illegal construction by the NYC Department of Education and
opposing the co-location of Success Academy Charter School.
- Leading bus trips to Pennsylvania and organizing phone banks to elect
a Democratic president and Democratic members of Congress.

My record in supporting workers’ rights, protecting tenants, opposing
hydrofracking and fighting for campaign finance reform has inspired many
progressives to endorse my candidacy, including Citizen Action of New York
City, 1199 SEIU Healthcare Workers East, 32BJ SEIU, New York Hotel Trades
Council, UFCW Local 1500, CWA District 1, Community Free Democrats,
Democracy for New York City, State Senator Adriano Espaillat, Assembly
Member Richard Gottfried and many others. (For a complete list of
endorsements and other information, visit
www.VoteLandis.com<http://www.votelandis.com/>
.)

Thirty years ago, my first experience in Manhattan petitioning was on
behalf of Curtis Arluck’s district leader campaign. I am proud to continue
to work with all of you today. I would be honored to be endorsed by
Broadway Democrats, and I ask for your support.

Sincerely,

Marc Landis

--
Marc Landis