[BwayDems] Bill de Blasio for Mayor

Bill De Blasio bill at billdeblasio.com
Wed May 8 09:17:37 EDT 2013

Dear Broadway Democrat:

I write to humbly request your support for my mayoral campaign this year.
The Broadway Democrats are an important progressive force in our city. The
Club’s commitment to principles of economic and social justice and your
tradition of community organizing are critical as we fight for change.

On the issues that matter the most, my track record is one of real
progressive change:

• *Progressive Taxation for Universal Early Childhood Education and
After-school Programs* – I am the only candidate who proposes an income tax
surcharge on the wealthiest New Yorkers in order to ensure that all our
children get full day pre-K and all middle school kids have a safe place to
go after school.

• * Transparency and Reform* – I created a national coalition to fight
back against the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision which opened the
floodgates for corporate spending in our elections -- we successfully
pushed companies to change their spending policies, and we will not stop
there.

• *Affordable and Safe Housing* – Through my Landlords Watchlist, I have
worked with tenants and organizations across the city to hold landlords
accountable. I have introduced an eight-point plan that will create real
affordable housing and put a stop to developer giveaways at the expense of
working New Yorkers.

• *Respectful Policing* – It’s past time for change. First, our city
needs an Inspector General. Second, we need a new police commissioner who
does not believe that racial profiling is an effective policing tool, but
instead believes in community policing that keeps our neighborhoods safe
and strengthens relationships between police and community.

I would be the first mayor in history to serve while having a child
attending our public schools — so improving education is personal to me.
That’s why I’ve challenged Mayor Bloomberg’s plans to close struggling
schools, demonize teachers and threaten them with layoffs, and transfer
power from parents to out-of-touch chancellors like Cathie Black.

As a lifelong progressive reformer, grassroots organizer, and populist
fighter, I’ll take on the elite who profit from the status quo at the
expense of taxpayers, families, and everyday New Yorkers. From battling
the flood of corporate money and corrupt insider deals that infect our
politics to challenging the well-heeled interests that block common-sense
gun control, I promise to be a voice for those too often forgotten by City
Hall. At a time when Wall Street has hit historic highs and one in five New
Yorkers lives in poverty, I firmly reject Mayor Bloomberg’s belief that
homelessness isn’t a real problem, that higher taxes on millionaires are
unfair, and that big developers deserve more help than mom-and-pop shops.

My number one goal as mayor is to tackle the shameful income inequality
that threatens to make New York City a playground for the rich and an
unaffordable daily struggle for everyone else.

Now, more than ever, our city needs a strong progressive champion as mayor.
I’m campaigning on a bold vision of equality and justice for all New
Yorkers. These themes have been at the center of my entire career, and they
are the very same ones at the heart of your Club’s mission.

I hope that together we can create real change in 2013. If you would like
further information, please visit our website at www.billdeblasio.com,
e-mail info at billdeblasio.com, or call (718) 222 2928.

Sincerely,

Bill de Blasio