[Water News] DJ Gongol & Associates Water News - June 7, 2010

Brian Gongol waternewsadmin at pumpstoreusa.com
Mon Jun 7 19:03:30 EDT 2010

Thanks for reading this week's edition of our weekly water news report.
Please feel free to forward this news to a colleague.

Highlights from the past week

Spring was exceptionally quiet around here, but summer has arrived with
a fury:
http://www.pumpstoreusa.com/newsletter/2010/06/01/

Our new display debuts at the IWPCA convention:
http://www.pumpstoreusa.com/newsletter/2010/06/02/

A drought-related food crisis strikes a population as large as Michigan's:
http://www.pumpstoreusa.com/newsletter/2010/06/03/

EPA opens comment period for sanitary sewer overflows:
http://www.pumpstoreusa.com/newsletter/2010/06/04/

Featured product: Grit traps

The first line of defense for many wastewater treatment plants is the
headworks, where large debris and inorganic materials are removed from
the incoming water so they can be kept out of the treatment system. An
essential part of the headworks mix is the grit trap, and our firm has
had a major influence over the way grit traps are operated.

We were the first to apply self-priming pumps to the task of grit
removal from grit traps, and that innovation has found its way into
common use throughout the industry. Self-priming pumps are capable of
extracting rocks and sand from grit traps and depositing them in
separating and washing equipment for proper disposal. The use of
self-priming pumps in this type of application results in lower
maintenance and greater safety for the operator than many of the older
approaches.

Grit traps come in a variety of designs, but it has been our practical
experience that an effective grit trap is designed to induce the
settling of solids without gimmicks. We like the Waste-Tech/Kusters-Zima
low-RPM design with an available submersible gearhead.

If you'd like to know more, please visit
http://www.pumpstoreusa.com/grittraps or call us at 515-223-4144 and ask
for details.

Your comments are welcomed

If you have any comments to share with us about this newsletter, or if
you have questions about any of our products, please visit
http://www.pumpstoreusa.com/contact/ and let us know. Thanks for reading.

Sign up

If you were forwarded this newsletter, sign up to receive it
automatically at http://www.pumpstoreusa.com/subscribe/weeklywaternews/