[Water News] DJ Gongol & Associates Water News - May 4, 2009

Brian Gongol waternewsadmin at pumpstoreusa.com
Mon May 4 15:55:24 EDT 2009

Thanks for reading this week's edition of our weekly water news report.
Please feel free to forward this news to a colleague.

Highlights from the past week

News headlines are giving renewed coverage to concerns about
pharmaceuticals showing up in our drinking water. It's not exactly the
kind of publicity we might want in the water industry, but might it help
draw attention to the issues we really do need to talk about?
http://www.gongol.net/newsletter/2009/04/27/

The EPA plans to conduct surveys to find out if new contaminants are
making their way into the nation's water supplies:
http://www.gongol.net/newsletter/2009/04/28/

Columbus, Nebraska, is being ordered to raise its levees or face some
serious consequences from FEMA:
http://www.gongol.net/newsletter/2009/04/29/

A bipartisan bill has been introduced in the Senate to put $1.8 billion
into the separation of stormwater sewers from sanitary sewers:
http://www.gongol.net/newsletter/2009/04/30/

Gorman-Rupp's tips for selecting a solids-handling pump:
http://www.gongol.net/newsletter/2009/05/01/

Featured product: Flap gates

Most of the equipment used in the water and wastewater industries is
hidden from public view. Pumps, clarifiers, bar screens, and the like
are ordinarily either kept inside buildings or are only found inside
plants where the public rarely visits. Among the few items of equipment,
though, that almost everyone has seen is the simple flap gate -- usually
in quiet service discharging stormwater into a lake, river, or stream.
But all flap gates aren't created equal: While cast iron has been the
material of choice for many years, it's being eclipsed by stainless
steel and aluminum, and for good reason. Cast iron is becoming
increasingly difficult to obtain from reliable domestic producers,
particularly as Chinese demand increases. Meanwhile, stainless steel and
aluminum can be fabricated in ways that allow them to be stronger than
cast iron. Cast iron takes its strength from sheer mass; stainless steel
and aluminum, by contrast, take their strength from structural design,
delivering a stronger gate with less metal. That makes fabricated flap
gates easier to mount and install than comparable cast iron gates, among
other advantages. And the difference between a stainless steel gate and
a cast iron gate in terms of reliability and corrosion resistance is
significant.

We're happy to offer fabricated flap gates for stormwater, water, and
wastewater installations of all types. If you'd like to know more,
please visit http://www.pumpstoreusa.com/gates/flap/ or call us at
515-223-4144 and ask for details.

Your comments are welcomed