[geeklog-modules] Suggested CSS standards for plugins

Tom tomw at pigstye.net
Wed Dec 1 12:45:03 EST 2004

  -----Original Message-----
  From: geeklog-modules-admin at lists.geeklog.net
[mailto:geeklog-modules-admin at lists.geeklog.net]On Behalf Of Simon Lord
  Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 12:31 PM
  To: geeklog-modules at lists.geeklog.net; geeklog-modules at lists.geeklog.net;
geeklog-modules at lists.geeklog.net; geeklog-modules at lists.geeklog.net;
geeklog-modules at lists.geeklog.net
  Subject: Re: [geeklog-modules] Suggested CSS standards for plugins

    I say hurrah.  I would even go so far as to suggest a common set of
generic templates.  Providing and requiring the use of a more consistent GUI
would make it easier for everyone - Programmers, Themers and Users alike.
Of course to make it work it will have to be well documented.

  The templates already exist. However, no one has the time at the moment to
document it all. Dirk is maintaining/supporting it to a degree but I haven't
had any free time lately. I've been working with Blaine to help him update
the forum and we figured it would be easier to weasel in our efforts slowly
by integrating a subset of the work we've done to date on the templates just
on the forum specifically.

  The issue at hand is that maintaining a module as complex as the forum is
a real pain in the ass if it's not somehow tied to the theme. What I mean by
this is that lots of Geeklog users put some solid hours into designing
creative themes only to have that work thoroughly VOIDED by a non compliant
module because they are NOT designed to be theme friendly. So Blaine and I
spent the better part of a year trying to solve this issue through css.

  The idea is to *suggest* to module developers to use an approved list of
css tags that would be tied into the entire theme. This way simply dropping
a new module into any GL installation would result in that module INSTANTLY
looking like the current overall theme of the site and saving the site owner
hours if not days of hard work.

  That said, understand that all this work is already done, please don't go
and try to create some common set of generic templates and css standards.
Blaine and I spent a year doing this already (with Dirk's loving approval).
I just need some free time to create a design document for it, hopefully
Blaine can create something on a smaller scale for module developers while I
author one for theme developers.(?)

  Maybe during the Holidays?

    --
    Tom Willett
    tomw at pigstye.net

  Sincerely,
  Simon

  Maybe you misunderstood, I was simply saying that I applaud the effort to
make things easier and more uniform and encouraging more such work.  Excuse
if I hit a hot button.