[geeklog-devel] GSOC 2010 application for Improvement in Configurations GUI

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 12:00:01 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Joe Mucchiello <joe at throwingdice.com>wrote:

> At 08:46 PM 3/27/2010, Abhishek Shrivastava wrote:
>
>> Overall, this project will completely overhaul the way Configuration works
>> and looks to the user. The end-product of this project will be a totally new
>> version of configurations page with rich GUI based on jQuery, AJAX-based
>> search tools for configurations and per-option-based access control lists
>> for users.
>>

> I'm hoping I'm reading this incorrectly. But search-based configuration
> sounds like a bad idea to me. I like the idea of grouping things better. But
> I still want to be able to slog through page after page of configuration so
> I can see all the possible configuration options at a glance. Making the
> configurations respond to "search" would require adding a lot of alias words
> to the various configuration options.

I think the idea with the "search" configuration is to supplement, not
replace, the existing categorized configuration pages. That way you can slog
through all the pages when initially configuring (or reconfiguring) your
site. But when you just want to change one item you can just search for it
rather than trying to figure out on which page the item is found.

-Vinny