[geeklog-devel] GSOC 2010 application for Improvement in Configurations GUI

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Sun Mar 28 11:26:43 EDT 2010

At 08:46 PM 3/27/2010, Abhishek Shrivastava wrote:
>Overall, this project will completely overhaul the way Configuration
>works and looks to the user. The end-product of this project will be
>a totally new version of configurations page with rich GUI based on
>jQuery, AJAX-based search tools for configurations and
>per-option-based access control lists for users.

I'm hoping I'm reading this incorrectly. But search-based
configuration sounds like a bad idea to me. I like the idea of
grouping things better. But I still want to be able to slog through
page after page of configuration so I can see all the possible
configuration options at a glance. Making the configurations respond
to "search" would require adding a lot of alias words to the various
configuration options.

I like the idea of having a separate control table for config info.
the conf_values table should just have the data. A separate table
should be used to control the configuration layout. As for
permissions, I would suggest looking at SEC_hasRights. You should
have two fields in the database: the first is a comma separated list
of features. The second is either "AND" or "OR". You then pass these
two fields directly to SEC_hasRights to see if the user can modify
that configuration option.

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.0.0.19 - 10.004.170).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/