[BwayDems] Join us for Parole Justice Advocacy Day Tue, Jan 11

Meika Mustrangi meika2008 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 09:34:34 EST 2022

Join the People’s Campaign for Parole Justice on our first Parole Justice Advocacy Day in 2022
On Zoom - Tuesday, January 11 - 9:30am to 3:30pm

Sign up at bit.ly/ParoleJusticeJan11 <http://bit.ly/ParoleJusticeJan11>

We'll gather via Zoom for rallies, legislative meetings, and a press conference.  You are welcome to join and stay for as long as you can.  Please join us to support the movement to pass the Elder Parole and Fair & Timely Parole bills in 2022.

Broadway Dems strongly supports passage of the Elder Parole and Fair and Timely Parole bills.  Let's bring our seniors home.  Many of them have already served decades in prison and have completely transformed themselves.  We must stop criminalizing people for life.  And we must end mass incarceration in our country.  People 50 and older now comprise a quarter of New York’s prison population and their numbers continue to grow despite the overall decrease in our prison population in the last twenty years.  According to a recent study by the Center for Justice at Columbia Univ. (full report <https://centerforjustice.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/content/New%20York's%20New%20Death%20Penalty%20Report.pdf>; one-page summary <https://centerforjustice.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/content/FINAL%20One-pager%20Columbia%20Report.pdf>), in the last decade 56% of deaths behind bars were of people 55 and older and 1 in 3 people who died behind bars had served at least 15 years in prison.

The Elder Parole bill will make those who are at least 55 years old and have served at least 15 years of their sentences eligible for parole consideration.

The Fair & Timely Parole will make parole hearings fairer for those who are parole eligible.  Instead of denying parole requests based mainly on the severity of the original crime committed many years ago, parole boards will also take into account the person’s rehabilitation and readiness for release.

See Broadway Dems' Memos of Support for the Elder Parole bill <http://www.broadwaydemocrats.org/uploads/1/2/8/2/128210197/memo_support_elder_parole_broadway_dems.pdf>  and the Fair & Timely Parole bill <http://www.broadwaydemocrats.org/uploads/1/2/8/2/128210197/memo_support_fair_timely_parole_broadway_dems.pdf>.

Sign up for the virtual event at bit.ly/ParoleJusticeJan11 <http://bit.ly/ParoleJusticeJan11>