[BwayDems] November Club Forum on Elder Parole and Fair & Timely Parole

Meika Mustrangi meikarovnyc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 17:12:39 EST 2021

[image: high quality broadway dems logo.jpg]

Thanks to all who attended The Broadway Democrats' Forum: PAROLE REFORM FOR
ELDER PEOPLE IN PRISON

on Thursday, November 11.

*** If you missed the forum you can watch the inspiring conversation *HERE*
<https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/play/yjbP3HFQDkTrc_6H7iMETUNsVMUQvbQAlBi-bssoAlP6M3nXjQut-mvdTkP3F5i1w2CzcPBoEn4AKo35.lKtxSB1Hv2XuUaQY?autoplay=true&startTime=1636678875000>.
***

We are grateful to our extraordinary speakers:

   -

   Jose Saldana, Director RAPP Campaign - Release Aging People in Prison
   <https://rappcampaign.com/>
   -

      Twitter: @RAPPcampaign <https://twitter.com/RAPPcampaign>
      -

   Sean Kyler, Operations Manager Advocacy and Partnerships Vera Institute
   for Justice <https://www.vera.org/>
   -

      Twitter: @verainstitute <https://twitter.com/verainstitute>
      -

   Melissa Tanis, Communications and Digital Media Coordinator Center for
   Justice at Columbia University <https://centerforjustice.columbia.edu/>
   -

      Twitter: @JusticeColumbia <https://twitter.com/JusticeColumbia>
      -

   Steve Zeidman, Director Criminal Defense Clinic at CUNY School of Law
   <https://www.law.cuny.edu/academics/clinics/defenders/>
   -

      Twitter: @SteveZeidman <https://twitter.com/SteveZeidman>

In the last decade nearly 1,300 New Yorkers died in prison: 56% of these
deaths were people 55 or older, one third had served at least 15 years of
their sentences, and roughly 50% were Black.

The Center for Justice at Columbia Univ. released a new report which finds
that more people have died in NYS prisons in the last decade than the
number of people who were executed during New York's over 350-year use of
the death penalty.  These deaths were mainly of older people serving long
sentences.  Read the report
<https://centerforjustice.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/content/New%20York's%20New%20Death%20Penalty%20Report.pdf>
.

At our forum we unanimously passed a motion to support the 'Elder Parole'
bill (S15 <https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/s15/amendment/a>-Hoylman
and A3475
<https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/a3475/amendment/a>-De La
Rosa) and the 'Fair & Timely Parole' bill (S1415
<https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/s1415/amendment/original>-Rivera
and A4231
<https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/a4231/amendment/original>-Weprin),
introduced in the Legislature in January 2021.  People should not die in
prison or be released at the end of their lives as a consequence of
extremely long sentences.  Revenge for the original crime committed decades
ago should not be our guiding principle.  Instead, we must look at what
people have done and accomplished during their time in prison.  We, the
Broadway Democratic Club, will support both bills as they are reconsidered
in the Legislature in 2022.

HAPPENING TOMORROW!
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 22 AT 7 PM

Learn more at RAPP's November Virtual NYC Meeting

Register HERE
<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMucOmtpjgiG9XnX8xOWJZLZsvSoxjXPMUs>

Thank you,

Joe and Meika