[BwayDems] Call Cuomo: Stop the Astoria NRG Power Plant

Eric Weltman eweltman at fwwatch.org
Tue Mar 16 07:14:42 EDT 2021

Call Cuomo:

Stop the Astoria NRG Power Plant

877-235-6537

Last week, Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and eight other members of New York’s Congressional delegation sent a letter to Governor Cuomo<https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/new-york-elections-government/ny-nyc-queens-astoria-power-plant-aoc-cuomo-20210309-y2fu5nbamjeargwnw76oeybz24-story.html> urging him to stop the Astoria NRG fracked gas power plant proposed for AOC’s district in Queens.

New York members of Congress are speaking up because they know that the plant, if built, would add toxic smog and particulate matter that would worsen respiratory illnesses and degrade air quality across Astoria, northwest Queens, and nearby Bronx and Manhattan neighborhoods. These neighborhoods’ residents already have elevated rates of asthma.

The Congressional letter<https://ocasio-cortez.house.gov/media/press-releases/ocasio-cortez-8-nyc-members-express-concerns-about-astoria-nrg-plant> points out “Studies show a higher rate of COVID-19 severity and mortality in communities like ours that have suffered from historically high particulate matter. At a time when our focus should be on increasing public health outcomes, the addition of a new fossil fuel burning plant does the exact opposite.”

Meanwhile, the plant would deepen New York’s reliance on climate-destroying fracked gas, and entirely contradict city, state, and federal climate goals. We can create good union jobs by building renewables or battery storage instead! We don’t need this toxic plant.

Call Cuomo at 877-235-6537 & tell him to reject the Astoria NRG power plant.

Text “CuomoMondays” to 69866 to sign up for weekly text alerts about calling Cuomo to stop fossil fuel projects.

[cidimage001.png at 01D7198F.7CE8D390]

Eric Weltman
Senior Organizer
Food & Water Watch<https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/> and Food & Water Action<https://www.foodandwateractionfund.org/>