[BwayDems] Parolee Voting Rights Passed in the Assembly Today!

Luis Roman rjac.bwaydems at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 00:05:45 EDT 2021

Dear Broadway Democrats,
S830 was voted on today in the NYS Assembly and passed! (It had already
passed in the NYS Senate.) Now, it will be sent to Gov. Cuomo to be
signed.  Once signed into law, *it will end felony disenfranchisement in
our state.*

The law will automatically restore the right to vote to anyone convicted of
a felony as soon as they are released from prison.  Parole will no longer
be an excuse to deny people their right to vote and New Yorkers
re-integrating into society will finally be able to participate in our
democracy.

*Thank you* to all of you who had a chance to call your Assembly member and
express your support for the bill.  We had a very quick turnaround for our
first action as a newly formed committee.  We’ll try to give you more time
next time.

"With the passage of this bill, we are one step closer to dismantling the
vestiges of segregation-era felony disenfranchisement in New York. We are
sending a clear message to the rest of the country: the right to vote is
foundational to our democracy and should be expanded, not restricted."
- Assembly member O’Donnell

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/politics/new-york-bill-voting-rights/index.html

With gratitude,

Racial Justice Action Committee

P.S. Thanks to Meika Mustrangi for all the research and writing on this
project!