[BwayDems] Ending the Government Shutdown

Congressman Jerry Nadler CongressmanNadler at mail.house.gov
Wed Jan 16 13:58:13 EST 2019

JANUARY 16, 2019
Click here if you have trouble viewing this email
U.S. Representative Jerrold Nadler

Ending the Government Shutdown
In my view, this is the President’s shutdown of the federal government. He is blackmailing the American people and holding the country hostage in order to build what I believe is an unnecessary and un-American border wall. I stood on the House floor last week to support numerous funding bills that would re-open critical government agencies. Too many Americans are working without pay or on furlough with no idea when or if they will ever get back to work. Too many are watching as vital services and benefits slowly disappear. This will only get worse as the shutdown continues, which is why I am working to end this shutdown soon.

VIDEO: Click here to watch Rep. Nadler speaking on the House floor in support of legislation that would re-open government agencies.

Protecting the Validity of the U.S. Census
Last year, the Administration announced the addition of a question about citizenship to the 2020 census- the first question of its kind to be included on a census since 1950- which a U.S. District Court in New York has recently ruled against. Given what I believe has been a zeal for anti-immigration enforcement from this Administration, asking for citizenship information will, in my view, frighten many immigrants from answering, which will produce a census that excludes a large part of the immigrant population. It is absolutely essential that every single New Yorker is counted in the census, which determines the number of seats each state receives in Congress and how to distribute billions in federal funds to state and local communities. I believe Mayor De Blasio made an excellent choice in selecting Julie Menin as Director of the Census for New York City. An inaccurate count on the census could have disastrous consequences, including the loss of crucial assistance for New Yorkers across our city and state. I look forward to working with Ms. Menin to protect the accuracy and integrity of the census.

 Combating Corruption & Fighting
For The People
With a new Democratic Majority in the House, I believe the American people made clear that they resoundingly reject the culture of corruption in Washington. In my view, too many Americans believe that their voices have been drowned out by the power of big money, and that their elected officials are no longer accountable to the people. Congress has a responsibility to ensure that elected offices are held accountable to the people, and the new Majority has made this our first order of business.

Rep. Nadler introducing H.R. 1, the For The People Act.

I was proud to stand with my fellow House Democrats to introduce H.R. 1, the For The People Act, a sweeping package of what I believe are long-overdue, pro-democracy and anti-corruption reforms that will return us to government of, by and for the people. This legislation will make it easier, not harder, to vote; end the dominance of big money in our politics; and ensure public officials work for the public interest. Without this legislation, I believe our democracy will find itself more and more at the mercy of moneyed interest instead of the American people. House Democrats will not stand down in this fight, and I am proud to help lead their efforts as Chair of the House Judiciary Committee.

To learn more about the For The People Act, please click here.

 Reforming Our Criminal Justice System
For far too long, the federal criminal justice system has not been fair for all Americans. Before the turn of the new year, I fought for the First Step Act to be signed into law, making critical reforms to our sentencing laws and our prison system. These changes will help reduce the impact of mandatory minimum sentences, and reduce the rate of recidivism by ensuring access to mental health counseling, education, vocational services and substance abuse treatment needed to help incarcerated individuals become productive members of society.  There is still more work to be done, but this critical legislation is a positive first step.

To read more about the First Step Act, please click here.
Get Updates in Real Time
Want to check out more of my work for New York's tenth congressional district? Make sure to follow me on Twitter as well as on Facebook, and YouTube, where you can see more of my work on these and other issues.
Sincerely,
Jerrold Nadler
E-Newsletter Sign Up Contact Me

REACT
Let me know where you stand on the issues. Click here!
CONNECT
facebook
Facebook
youtube