[BwayDems] Fwd: Family Separation Policy Runs Counter to American Values

Pat Almonrode palmonrode at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 17:49:01 EDT 2018

JUNE 20, 2018
Click here
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/news/email/show.aspx?ID=M3JPEPI6ZRDYWVJZCVM4RRJ62Q>
if you have trouble viewing this email
[image: U.S. Representative Jerrold Nadler]
 *Family Separation Policy Runs Counter to American Values*

*At a press conference, Rep. Nadler spoke in opposition to the
Administration's new, zero tolerance immigration policy.  *

>From its earliest days to the present, I believe the Administration has
relentlessly pushed an anti-immigrant agenda, including ending the DACA
program and implementing a travel ban specifically targeting seven Muslim
majority countries. Earlier this month, I penned an Op-Ed about my views on
the Administration’s new, zero tolerance immigration policy that separates
families and, in my opinion, ignores due process. Under this new policy,
which was designed to deter even people with a legitimate right of asylum
from attempting to enter the country, parents are arrested and criminally
prosecuted, and their children taken away from them. These children may be
taken many hundreds of miles away – and there is no system to reunify them
with their parents after the parents’ criminal cases are resolved.

We have a legal and moral obligation to protect the most vulnerable among
us, which surely includes children. Congress must not let the
Administration's enforcement policy continue, and I intend to introduce
legislation to address this issue.

The full text on the Op-Ed can be found here
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=470021-53157372>
.
*Fighting Effort to Eliminate LGBT Teen Crime Victim Data*

Last month, I joined over 50 House Members in submitting comments to the
Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) in response to the
agency’s attempt to eliminate sexual orientation and gender identity
questions from the National Crime Victimization Survey. Federal studies
have shown that young LGBT individuals face higher rates of criminal
victimization than their straight, heterosexual peers - including higher
rates of being bullied, physically attacked, and threatened with weapons in
schools. In my view, this would rollback LGBT protections, and there is
simply no meaningful justification for the BJS to remove sexual orientation
and gender identity questions from the National Crime Victimization Survey.

To read our full letter, please click here
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=470022-53157372>
.
*Celebrating the Transformation of the South Brooklyn Maritime Hub*

For over thirty years, I have advocated for the development of a container
port in Brooklyn. Last month, I joined the New York City Economic
Development Corporation to celebrate the reactivation of the South Brooklyn
Marine Terminal (SBMT) as a major shipping hub.

I fundamentally believe that an active Brooklyn container port is
imperative for the economic vitality and environmental well-being of the
City. Over the next several years, these docks will eliminate thousands of
semi-truck trips, reducing pollution, noise, and traffic. The opening of
this terminal will put our waterfront back to work, ensuring that our port
district overall retains its position of dominance on the eastern seaboard
of the United States.

This is an absolutely essential part of moving goods more efficiently,
growing sustainable and local jobs, and protecting our environment, and I
am proud of the progress that has been made to open the SBMT.

*Modernizing Copyright Laws to Ensure Fair Compensation*

The music industry comprises a significant part of New York City’s economy.
I have long been an advocate of fair compensation for performers,
songwriters and studio professionals, and I was proud to be one of the lead
sponsors and authors of the Music Modernization Act, which significantly
reforms the process for licensing mechanical reproduction royalties,
guarantees payment to legacy artists for music recorded prior to 1972, and
creates several provisions to ensure that music creators receive fair
market value for their work. This bill was supported by a broad coalition
that includes songwriters and artists, publishers and labels, and Internet
and digital media companies, and I am thrilled that, with overwhelming
bipartisan support, we passed the legislation in the House by a vote of 415
to zero.

Read my full statement in support of the Music Modernization Act here
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=470023-53157372>
.

*Speaking Out to Defend Women’s Health*

The Department of Health and Human Services recently proposed a rule that
would require facilities receiving Title X family planning funds to be
physically separate from those that perform abortion, eliminate the
requirement that women with unintended pregnancies be counseled on their
full range of reproductive options, and ban abortion referrals. In my view,
this proposed rule is simply another ploy to defund Planned Parenthood and
limit women’s constitutionally protected right of access to care,
completely ignoring the rule of law and precedents established under Roe v.
Wade. I believe these actions by the Administration have made it clear that
Americans’ right to comprehensive healthcare, and to make one’s own choices
about having a family, are increasingly under threat.

*Get Updates in Real Time *
Want to check out more of my work for New York's tenth congressional
district? Make sure to follow me on Twitter
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=470024-53157372>
as
well as on Facebook
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=470025-53157372>
, YouTube
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=470026-53157372>,
and Flickr
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=470027-53157372>,
where you can see more of my work on these and other issues.

 Sincerely,
[image: Jerrold Nadler]

[image: E-Newsletter Sign Up]
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=470028-53157372>
[image:
Contact Me]
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=470029-53157372>
[image: Share on Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/news/email/show.aspx?ID=M3JPEPI6ZRDYWVJZCVM4RRJ62Q&t=Family+Separation+Policy+Runs+Counter+to+American+Values>
[image: Share on Twitter]
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/Components/Redirect/twitter.aspx?url=https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/news/email/show.aspx?ID=M3JPEPI6ZRDYWVJZCVM4RRJ62Q&name=Family+Separation+Policy+Runs+Counter+to+American+Values>
REACT
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=470030-53157372>
Let me know where you stand on the issues. *Click here!*
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=470031-53157372>
CONNECT

[image: facebook]
<https://jerroldnadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=470032-53157372>