[BwayDems] Fwd: Gale Brewer Statement on Daily News layoffs

Pat Almonrode palmonrode at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 07:54:59 EDT 2018

From: *Manhattan B.P. Press* <press at manhattanbp.nyc.gov>
Date: Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 12:28 PM
Subject: Statement on Daily News layoffs

Statement from Manhattan B.P. Gale A. Brewer.
View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/manhattanbp/daily-news-layoff?e=169b3bba9b>
*For Immediate Release:* Monday, July 23, 2018
*Please Contact:*
Andrew Goldston | agoldston at manhattanbp.nyc.gov  | 917.960.1187
  *Brewer statement on Daily News layoffs*

NEW YORK – Reacting to the news of a 50 percent editorial staff layoff at
the *New York Daily News*, Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer today
issued the following public statement:

"TRONC's executives should be ashamed of themselves for hollowing out a
storied newspaper with a tremendous record of getting things done for the
people of this city.

"Written local news -- both online and in print -- is essential to
keep government honest and effective and ensure problems in our society are
exposed and addressed. Our city, our state, and our nation will be worse
off without robust local journalism.

"We can't sit back and be totally reliant on over-leveraged media
conglomerates or billionaires for what is an essential public service. I'm
not sure what form it should take, but it's clear that our city and state
government need to do more to support local newsgathering, reporting, and
publishing."

# # #
<https://nyc.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bf27f3da34498cc55bd5e1da4&id=991c785af0&e=169b3bba9b>
<https://nyc.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bf27f3da34498cc55bd5e1da4&id=011638e33d&e=169b3bba9b>
<https://nyc.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bf27f3da34498cc55bd5e1da4&id=28ae180d11&e=169b3bba9b>

Office of the Manhattan Borough President · 1 Centre Street
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Centre+Street++19th+Floor&entry=gmail&source=g>·
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Centre+Street++%C2%B7++19th+Floor&entry=gmail&source=g>19th
Floor
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Centre+Street++19th+Floor&entry=gmail&source=g>