[BwayDems] Fwd: O'Donnell Statement re PBA Lawsuit

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 12 14:35:57 EST 2018

|  |

 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEContact: Yannis TrittasDeputy Chief of Stafftrittasy at nyassembly.gov  718-787-7859 O'Donnell Statement on PBA's Lawsuit Invoking 50-aAssembly Member O'Donnell Calls Lawsuit "Ludicrous", Reiterates need to Amend 50-a New York, NY - 1/12/18 - Assembly Member Daniel O'Donnell was dismayed by the news of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association's lawsuit against the city of New York over the release of body camera footage invoking Section 50-a of the Civil Rights Law. As the sponsor of Assembly Bill (A3333), which repeals 50-a, and (A3335) which would amend 50-a, O'Donnell chose to release the following statement: Transparency has been proven to be a necessary component of repairing relations between communities and law enforcement. Body cameras and the footage collected from them are technological gifts that can give us invaluable insight to improve training and community relations. I commend NYPD Commissioner O'Neill for the footage he has released. The footage released to date has been successful in better understanding the dangers officers face on a daily basis, and in clarifying the circumstances of officer-involved shootings. The footage released has not been part of disciplinary measures, and has not put any officers in danger, so the PBA's lawsuit is ridiculous. It is a clear indication that they remain stalwart in opposition to transparency regardless of context and undeniable benefits. Assembly Member O'Donnell introduced (A3333) which would repeal 50-a of the civil rights law, and (A3335) which would amend section 50-a, after hearing testimony from the Committee on Open Government on the need for this change.  Section 50-a keeps personnel records pertaining to the police, correctional officers, and firefighters that "are used to evaluate performance toward continued employment or promotion" confidential. However, amending or repealing 50-a would not strip anyone of these protections. Requests for personnel records through the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) would protect law enforcement in the same way it protects all other public employees. FOIL permits a government agency to withhold records when, for example, disclosure would interfere with an investigation, identify a confidential source or involve an unsubstantiated allegation or complaint. These same privacy rules and regulations would apply to police officers, correctional officers, and firefighters.

| Daniel O'Donnell, the first openly gay man elected to the New York State Assembly, has been a progressive voice advocating for fair and sensible legislation since he was elected to represent the 69th District in 2002. He is known as a leader of LGBT rights, including authoring and sponsoring of New York State's Marriage Equality Law, which was signed into law in 2011, and the Dignity for All Students Act, which was the first time trans rights were written into New York state law. His district includes Manhattan Valley, Morningside Heights, and the Upper West Side. He serves as the Chair of the Tourism, Parks, Arts and Sports Development Committee, and of the Codes Subcommittee on Criminal Procedure; and is a member of the Education; Codes; Environmental Conservation; and Tourism, Arts & Sports Development committees.  |

| Please follow my social media to keep up-to-date: |

|  |  |

 |  |

|  |

| Assembly Member Daniel O'Donnell, 245 West 104th Street, Suite 1D, New York, NY 10025 |

 |  |