[BwayDems] Public Advocate Tish James: Protecting victims of sexual violence

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Thu Feb 22 00:45:38 EST 2018

|   |

|  |

|   |

|  |

|      Friends,

Earlier this week, I called on the de Blasio administration to defend a constitutional challenge to the Victims of Gender-Motivated Violence Protection Act, a law that gives victims the right to sue for damages and relief.

Fox News anchor Charles Payne, joined by 21st Century Fox, was challenging this law in a case brought by Scottie Nell Hughes, a journalist suing the company for gender-motivated violence, gender discrimination, retaliation, and defamation. Hughes alleges that Payne raped and sexually assaulted her for years. When she ended the relationship, she was retaliated against: blacklisted from Fox News, and publicly defamed.

Yesterday, Charles Payne succumbed to public pressure and dropped his challenge to the law, signaling an important victory in our quest to protect all victims of sexual violence.

This is a win for Hughes, but it’s truly a win for every woman and victim who has spoken up and said #MeToo and #TimesUp.

We will always do everything in our power to prevent sexual violence and provide victims with an opportunity for justice to be served.

Sincerely,

|  |

|   Letitia James

New York City Public Advocate  |

|  New York City PublicAdvocate, 1 Centre Street,  15th Floor North New York, NY 10007   |

 OPA, 1 Centre Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10007, United States