[BwayDems] REMINDER Make NYS Truly Blue - Next Wed Aug 29th PLEASE RSVP

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Tue Aug 28 19:16:24 EDT 2018

Fellow Broadway Democrats -
Like us, you are probably saddened and frustrated by the horror show that is our current national government (sorry, but there's no other way to put it).  But at least here in NY State, there is something real, concrete and immediate that we can do.

As you might know, for the past six years a handful of rogue Democratic State Senators aligned themselves with the Republicans, keeping the State Senate in Republican hands, even though Democratic members outnumber them.
This might seem like an intra-party fight that has no impact on real lives.  That would be wrong. As a result of this action by the Independent Democratic Coalition (IDC):
   - NYS has not passed legal protections for transgender individuals.

   - We still don't have the DREAM Act, allowing undocumented immigrants the chance to access in-state scholarships and financial aid.

   - NY State, this great progressive beacon, has no state law to protect abortion rights if the Supreme Court overturns Roe, which seems more and more possible with the recent Supreme Court vacancy.

If the IDC members had aligned with the Senate Democrats, as they were elected to do, these bills would have been law long ago.

Perhaps the most galling part of this situation is that right here in Manhattan, on the Upper West Side, West Harlem, Washington Heights and Inwood, we have one of those very State Senators.  Marisol Alcantara ran 2 years ago for an open seat as a Democrat.  She won, and immediately aligned herself with the IDC and the Republicans.
Now that it's election season again, she and her fellow IDC members are saying they are with the Democrats, but for how long and at what cost?

We have a clear and easy choice this year - Robert Jackson, a true blue Democrat.  Robert started his political career suing NYS for our fair share of education funding for our public schools, and then successfully ran for the City Council in 2001. We can personally attest to his dedication, decency, hard work, energy and most of all, his deep commitment to progressive values.

Join us to meet State Senate candidate Robert Jacksonnext Wednesday, August 29th, 6:30pm
Please RSVP at https://secure.actblue.com/ donate/maurakeaney#
(Address provided when you RSVP)

If you can't join us, we hope you will still consider a contribution to support this effort - you can donate at https://secure.actblue.com/ donate/maurakeaney#

Best,Maura & Mark