[BwayDems] BP Gale Brewer distributes free reusable grocery bags for Earth Day Weekend.

Pat Almonrode palmonrode at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 08:51:51 EDT 2018

B.P. Brewer will be distributing free reusable grocery bags for Earth Day
Weekend.

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/manhattanbp/brewer-distributing-free-reusable-bags-for-earth-day-1182621?e=fd77120a5a>

*For Immediate Release:* Friday, April 20, 2018
*Please Contact:*
Andrew Goldston | agoldston at manhattanbp.nyc.gov | 917.960.1187

*B.P. Brewer invites New Yorkers to pick up free reusable grocery bags for
Earth Day this weekend*

NEW YORK – Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer announced that for
Earth Day, which falls on Sunday, April 22, her office will be distributing
reusable grocery bags for free at greenmarkets and grocery stores around
Manhattan. In addition, Brewer's office will distribute reusable bags on
Saturday, April 21 at the Car-Free New York Day event in Washington
Heights on St. Nicholas Avenue near West 183rd Street.

New Yorkers throw away an average of 10 single-use bags per person every
week, and the city as a whole throws away more than 9 million single-use
plastic bags a year, generating 90,000 tons of plastic bags in our waste
stream at an annual cost of more than $12 million. Moreover,
petroleum-based plastic bags never biodegrade and litter New Yorkers'
streets, trees, public parks, and waterways, creating a public nuisance,
polluting the environment, and posing a hazard for wildlife.

"New York City has a problem with plastic bags -- a 90,000-ton, $12 million
problem. But by bringing reusable bags when we go shopping, we can all be
part of the solution," said Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer.
"Please stop by and pick up a bag from one of our giveaway sites this
weekend!"

Free bags will be available on a first-come, first-served basis at the
locations listed below on Sunday. They will also be distributed on Saturday at
the Washington Heights Car-Free New York Day event.

*Earth Day (Sunday) Reusable Bag Giveaway Locations:*

*Location*

*Address*

*Giveaway Hours*

Tompkins Square Greenmarket