[BwayDems] May I have your support?

Keith Wright keithwrightforny2016 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 13:50:43 EST 2016

Dear Broadway Democrats:

In the midst of an election season sure to go down in history, I’m reminded
once again of the contribution that our democratic clubs make towards the
electoral process. The Broadway Democrats are synonymous with dogged
activism and progressive convictions. Your membership fights hard to
improve the community, and is committed to electing leaders who share your
vision of inclusion and progress.  I share the
vision of the Broadway Democrats.

Succeeding Congressman Rangel won’t be easy, but I’m up for the challenge.
I believe my experience combined with my legislative successes makes me the
right choice to represent our community in Congress.  My path to Washington
DC has been strengthened by the support of Assembly Member Danny
O’Donnell.  From the age of 21, when I first worked for the Ministry of
Public Health in Nigeria, public service has been my life and passion. My
record of accomplishments speaks louder than the rhetoric of others, and I
look forward to continuing my record of delivering results as a member of
the United States House of Representatives. During my decades in public
service, I have fought for economic equality, blind justice and community
advancement. Some highlights include:

-  Raising the state’s minimum wage with indexing during an economic
recession and for the first time in nearly a decade

-        Securing an unprecedented $100 million in state funding for the
New York City Housing Authority

-        Sponsoring the legislation that ultimately abolished the draconian
Rockefeller Drug Laws

-        Co-sponsoring the Marriage Equality Act

-        Consistently ranking 95% or higher on EPL/Environmental Advocates
Environmental Scorecard

-        Ushering the State’s new policy of appointing the Attorney General
as Special Prosecutor in instances of police misconduct

-        Calling for a moratorium on the building of luxury housing in the
midst of New York City’s crippling affordable housing crisis

-        Authoring and passing the Domestic Workers Bill of Rights;
mandating, for the time in U.S. history, that domestic workers receive time
off, sick days, safe and just working conditions

-        Increasing New York State’s public assistance grant for the first
time in twenty years, and increased unemployment benefits in the midst of
an economic recession that left many without a job

-        Successfully increasing SCRIE benefits for seniors

But the work doesn’t end there. I’m currently a sponsor of and working to
pass legislation to: eradicate the co-location of schools in New York City;
mandate labeling of genetically modified foods; pass the Gender Expression
Non-Discrimination Act (GENDA); incentivize the hiring of women and
minority screenwriters and directors, in an effort to diversify the
entertainment industry; mandate equal pay for equal
work by passing the Equal Pay Act, to name a few. I've been an outspoken
opponent of the ZQA plan, one that unfairly targets certain areas of the
City and ignores the real concerns of community members like you. In
Congress, I will work tirelessly to find innovative solutions to the
student debt crisis, that is hindering millions of young Americans and
destabilizing our economy. I will fight vigorously to protect and preserve
public and affordable housing by changing the Area Median Income
requirements. I will be an ardent defender of voting rights and work to
stop the erosion of the democratic process.

I pride myself on representing the people of this city, and I humbly seek
your endorsement in this historic election. I am confident that our
collective goals are within reach, and I look forward to working together
for the betterment of our community long into the future.

Sincerely,

Keith L.T. Wright

--
Rasheida T. Smith