[BwayDems] Thursday Forum

Michael Gallagher michael.gallagher at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 18:23:14 EST 2016

Greetings to members of the Broadway Democrats. I look forward to Thursday
night’s candidate forum. In advance of that, I’d like to introduce myself
and comment on some of the critical issues facing us – in District #13 and
nationally.

I’m Mike Gallagher and I’m a stay at home Dad with four kids from
Washington Heights.

I am running for Congress in the 13th District because I believe our
current politicians are captive to a political system that favors the
wealthy and the connected. We need a voice to represent our concerns and
push for real change. During Charlie Rangel’s tenure, there have been some
gains made here in the District but there is so much more to be done and we
need new leadership to do it.

Some of the issues I care most about:

TAX REFORM

GRADUATED RENT TAX DEDUCTION

•    The federal tax code favors homeowners who deduct up to $100,000 per
year in mortgage interest. Renters get no relief.

•    States have tried it – and it works. There should be a federal credit
for renters.

PROTECTION AND EXPANSION OF THE EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT

•    It’s a direct and simple subsidy for low-income working American
families.

•    We need to improve, expand, and make this critical support permanent.

A GREATER RETURN TO NEW YORK OF TAX DOLLARS WE SEND TO WASHINGTON

•    New York gets back LESS than the dollar it pays the federal government
in tax. This must change.

PROTECTIONS FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES

NEW INVESTMENTS IN AFFORDABLE HOUSING THAT COME FROM TAX REFORM AND OTHER
SOURCES. THE FEDERAL HOUSING WELL HAS GONE DRY.

•    Relief for the lower middle class, for the working poor, and to
address the ongoing homeless problem in NYC

•    Too many New Yorkers are increasingly housing insecure

•    Gentrification has driven rents up

INCREASE MINIMUM WAGE

PUSH FOR LEASE STABILIZATION FOR SMALL BUSINESSES

IMPROVED ACCESS TO HEALTHCARE – A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT

•    Defense of Obamacare – for starters.

INVESTMENTS IN EDUCATION

•    It’s an investment in our future

•    Training our kids for 21st century jobs

PAID PARENTAL LEAVE AND UNIVERSAL CHILDCARE

•    Caring for our children is WORK

MAKING US ALL SAFER

MORE EFFECTIVE GUN CONTROL and CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM

•    Bail reduction – stopping the pay or stay phenomenon

•    Reduced sentencing for nonviolent offenses

•    Restoring constitutional voting rights to vast #s of Americans (mostly
men of color) whose criminal records prevent them from participating in our
democracy.

•    Respectful policing

FOREIGN POLICY

•    ISIS is not an existential threat to the American way of life.

•    By no means ignore ISIS but think back to what really was an
existential threat - the USSR/Cold War, the Cuban Missile Crisis.

•    Proliferation of nukes is still a threat. Iran deal is promising.
North Korea is an exemplar of the risks.

•    Addressing Russian aggression in the Ukraine and possibly in Syria,
for starters.

I look forward to introducing myself and discussing these and other
challenges on Thursday evening. Thanks for your consideration.

Michael

--
Gallagher for New York
1463 5th Ave.