[BwayDems] Upcoming events, meetings & opportunities from Sen. Espaillat <5/27/15 edition; 22 items>

Elizabeth Lorris Ritter elritter at adrianoespaillat.org
Wed May 27 18:03:53 EDT 2015

[image: Inline image 1]

*Wednesday, May 27th, 2015*

*Dear Neighbor,*

*This is a short e-blast to highlight just a few things going on the next
few days.*

*There’s a meeting about US Post Office issues TONIGHT, two Town Halls Rent
Regulation tomorrow & next Thursday, an important announcement regarding
Ft. Tryon Park special event closure tomorrow, the Uptown ArtStroll opening
reception on Friday  and several fun festivals and events this weekend. *

*Registration is open for the Outdoor Uptown Games on June 14th at
Riverbank State Park. **It’s a great way for District 6 3rd – 8th graders
to get some exercise and learn about competitive track in a fun
environment. Everyone’s a winner, with medals for all participants and
ribbons for place winners in each of 4 events. Free! T-shirts and snacks
are also provided. Sunday, June 14th, 8am-noon. (Onsite registration closes
at 8:45am.) Call 212-544-0173 or email **eventsRSVP at adrianoespaillat.org*
<eventsRSVP at adrianoespaillat.org>* for more information. *

*Scroll down for information about things happening:*

·         *Tonight, tomorrow & Friday (10 items)*

·         *This weekend (7 items)*

·         *Looking ahead / save-the-Dates! (5 item)*

*Please share this e-mail with friends/neighbors. If you know someone who’d
like to subscribe, have them e-mail me with their ZIP code. If you have an
event you’d like to list here, email me the details (PLEASE: text or .doc
format, not .pdf or .jpg).*

*Best,*

*Liz Ritter*

****TONIGHT, TOMORROW & FRIDAY*** (10 items)*

*Community Postal Forum* Come share your concerns with representatives from
the US Postal Service on issues affecting Harlem, Washington Heights and
Inwood, in particular the 10027, 10033 and 10034 Post Offices. At the Seymour
Milstein Family Heart Center, 173 Ft. Washington Avenue (near W. 168th
Street). *Wednesday, May 27th, 6pm – 8pm.*

*Park West Policy Forum: the Roots of the Affordable Housing Crisis *Featuring
Professor Richard Wolff, noted economist, author and radio host. Scarce
affordable housing in New York City, excessive housing costs in most
Americans' budgets, explosions from Ferguson to Baltimore and beyond are
all symptoms of global economic change. As capitalism's center shifts away
to Asia, South America, etc., the US economy "adjusts." Business and the
rich are best positioned to adjust and so become richer. The "middle class"
evaporates and sinks into the 99% whose bottom layers are increasingly
marginalized and desperate. Prof. Wolff's talk will explain the causes and
consequences of capitalism's shift and the problems it poses. At Saint
Michaels Episcopal Church, corner of 99th Street and Amsterdam Avenue. All
are welcome. For further information: call 917-338-6415 or email
PWPolicyForum at gmail.com. *Wednesday May 27th, 6:30pm – 9pm.*

*34th Precinct Community Council *meets at Isabella Geriatric Center, 515
Audubon Ave. @ W. 190th St. *Wednesday, May 27th at 7pm.*

*How to Start and Run a Successful Retail Business* With Princess Jenkins,
founder of The Brownstone, and special training by Square. You will learn:
legal forms of business; company logo and trademarks; how to buy
merchandise; store finances; merchandise and price-points; finding the
right location; retail interiors; app market place; how to sell online.
Sponsored by the NY Women’s Chamber of Commerce. Free, but you must
purchase a $25 textbook. At City College, W. 137th St. & Amsterdam Ave. For
more information/RSVP: Lawrence Miles (lmiles at nywcc.org / 212-491-6940).
Still a few seats left; register now!* Thursdays, May 28th & June 4th, 6pm
– 9pm.*

*Town Hall Meetings on Rent Regulation *Join Senator Espaillat and other
elected officials and advocates as we discuss how to strengthen rent laws.
Already 35,000 regulated units have been lost under current rent laws since
their passage in 2011. More than 200,000 have been lost since the early
1990's. New York is in the midst of a housing crisis, we cannot hope to
climb out of if we continue losing affordable housing. It is imperative we
expand rent regulations to stop sharp rent increases that are forcing
working New Yorkers out of their homes. With less than one month remaining
until the expiration of rent laws, I will be hosting two town hall meetings
so residents are informed about how these laws affect them, and to talk
about specific proposals for how the rent laws can be improved. The two
town hall meetings will be held in Inwood at the Washington Heights Academy
(202 Sherman Ave. at W. 204th St.) on *Thursday, May 28th at 6:30pm* and in
Washington Heights at Fort George Presbyterian Church (1525 St. Nicholas
Ave. at W. 186th St.) on *Thursday, June 4th at 6:30pm.*

*Sunset on the Hudson, The Fort Tryon Park Trust's Annual Gala* *Honoring
Lynden Miller. *Lynden Miller has been a tireless advocate for and designer
of beautiful gardens throughout New York City and beyond. The Fort Tryon
Park Trust is excited to celebrate Lynden's extensive contributions to the
green spaces of NYC, and hope you'll consider joining them. Benefit
proceeds will help sustain this historic park, underwriting horticultural
staff; free environmental, cultural and fitness programs, and targeted
capital improvements. Purchase tickets online (
https://www.forttryonparktrust.org/sunset_on_the_hudson_gala.html); call
212-795-1388 x300 for event/ticket info. For a short but inspiring video on
Ms. Miller’s work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab6V_00YqKI&app=desktop. *Thursday,
May 28th (6:30pm cocktails in the Heather Garden; 7:30pm dinner on the
David Rockefeller Linden Terrace). W/C acc.*

*A note from the Northern Manhattan Parks Administrator & Fort Tryon Park
Trust Executive Director*

*Dear Friends, *

*Tomorrow, Thursday May 28th from 6pm to 10pm there will be a private
fundraising event in Fort Tryon Park, the Fort Tryon Park Trust's Sunset on
the Hudson Gala. This Benefit event occurs every other year, and its
proceeds help support supplemental park maintenance and horticulture staff,
park improvements and over 250 free public programs. The Heather Garden and
the Linden Terrace will be closed for the event from 5pm to 10pm. There
will be no vehicular access to the park drives between 6pm and 10pm. The
southern section of the park can be accessed from the Fort Washington
Avenue Terrace, and from the staircase on the east side of Margaret Corbin
Circle. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes, but due to SLA and
other regulations, we need to restrict access to these areas to just event
attendees that have purchased tickets in advance. Please enjoy the rest of
Fort Tryon Park's 67 acres.*

*Jennifer Hoppa*

*33rd Precinct Community Council *meets at the Precinct, 2207 Amsterdam
Ave. @ W. 171st St. *Thursday, May 28th at 6:30pm.*

*A universe of Borders: An Evening of Short Stories & Spoken Word *The
philosopher Julia Kristeva describes the world of literature as "a universe
of borders, seesaws, fragile and mingled identities." Come explore this
universe with four New York–based artists— ePRHYME, Matthue Roth, Daniel
"Majesty" Sanchez, and Samantha Turk—during an evening of short stories and
spoken word, in conjunction with Dream Uptown, a project of the Fort Tryon
Jewish Center. At Word Up! 2113 Amsterdam Ave. at W. 165th St.;
347-688-4456. *Thursday, May 28th, 6:30pm–8:30pm.*

*12th Annual ArtStroll Opening Reception *honoring Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ty
Jones, Andrea Arroyo and Eduardo Gomez, will kick off a month-long
festival, celebrating arts and culture in Washington Heights-Inwood and
West Harlem. Hosted by the Sugar Hill Children’s Museum of Art &
Storytelling, Broadway Housing Communities and the Northern Manhattan Arts
Alliance. At the Children’s Museum of Art & Storytelling, 898 St. Nicholas
Avenue (btw. W. 154th & W. 155th Streets.) Email artstroll at nomaanyc.org or
visit www.artstroll.com for more information. *Friday, May 29th, 6:30pm*
*-8:30pm.*

****THIS WEEKEND*** (7 items)*

*The Great Fish Count *Pull on a pair of waders, cast a net, and find
marine life in New York’s waterways. Maybe you’ll be the first to find a
seahorse or the long-sought 222nd species in the Hudson River. From the
piers along the West Side Highway to the tips of Jamaica Bay and the East
River, NYC’s rivers, bays, and estuaries are teeming with life. Drop by one
of many sites throughout and beyond the city to join top ecologists and
biologists to catch, count, identify, and release the animals you discover
in our swarming waters. Uptown locations include: Fort Washington Park (173
rd St. & the Hudson River, just below the GWB) from 11am – 1pm and Inwood
Hill Park (W. 218th St. & Indian Road) from 9am – 10am. Part of the World
Science Festivalworldsciencefestival.com/greatfishcount. *Saturday, May
30th. *

*Festival & Carnival del Boulevard *An event for the whole family: music,
folk dancing, food kiosks, games for children, and much more!On St.
Nicholas Avenue / Juan Pablo Duarte Blvd. from W. 181st to W. 185th
Streets. Presented by the Juan Pablo Duarte Foundation; call 917-270-4987
or email laura at jpdfoundation.org. *Saturday, May 30th, 10am – 6pm.*

*Crime Prevention Fair *Bring your bikes, cell phones, laptops and iPads!
Bikes will be marked with an identification number using an engraver. A
decal, which is difficult to removes, is affixed to the bike; in the event
that it’s removed, “VOID” appears on what remains. If the bike is stolen
and recovered, it can be traced. You can also register your electronics
with the NYPD so they can be recovered if stolen. You may also enjoy
refreshments, and the beautiful RING Garden. At the Riverside/Inwood
Community Garden at the confluence of Riverside Drive, Dyckman Street &
Broadway. For more information, contact P/O Erik Rodriguez: 212-927-9301 /
erik.rodriguez at nypd.org. *Saturday, May 30th, 10am – 2pm.*

*PS/MS278 Spring Fair *We are expanding our annual Spring Fair this year.
We have received our permit to allow us to have 219th Street blocked off
and we will be having several new activities and events there from rock
climbing, basketball, obstacle courses, arts and crafts, a DJ and more.
Free and open to the public, even if you don’t have a kid in the
school! *Saturday,
May 30th, 11am – 5pm.*

*Multicultural Festival: Celebrate Diversity; Celebrate You *New York City
is "home to the world". Join us for a celebration of our diverse cultural
traditions. There will be live performances; food; a fashion show;
activites for children; health, safety & wellness activities; and
information resources. Free and open to the public! For more information,
or to register to perform, be a vendor, or exhibit, please visit
www.multiculturalfestival.nyc, email info at multiculturalfestival.nyc or call
212-862-4858. On St. Nicholas Ave., btw. W. 141st & W. 145th Streets.
*Saturday,
May 30th, noon - 7pm.*

*Green Gym Day 2015 *Come explore the cliff-side parks of northern
Manhattan, traversing a total of six parks over six miles of breathtaking
views of both the East and Hudson Rivers. Participants may choose to hike a
portion, or all of the inspiring trek. Join Green Gym Day's magical journey
through New York City's finest green spaces with Hiking-For-Life NYC 2015,
an optional fundraiser benefiting Moving For Life and their dance exercise
and wellness programs for cancer prevention and recovery. Along the way,
Moving For Life will lead health-giving stretches, and Green Gym Day will
teach participants how to turn any park into a green gym.
http://movingforlife.org/. Sign up registration
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hiking-for-life-nyc-2015-tickets-16685928060.
Free- via Nancercize and Outdoor Fest. *Sunday, May 31st, 9am – 2pm *
*(approximate)*

*A Celebration of Dominican Mother's Day* Enjoy food, beverage and music.
Brought to you by the Washington Heights Business Improvement District, 181
Urgent Care Center and United Oxford. At 181 Urgent Care Center, 521 W. 181
st St. *Sunday, May 31st, 2pm to 4pm.*

****LOOKING AHEAD / SAVE-THE-DATES!*** (5 items)*

*Dyckman Farmhouse Reopens June 1st. *Get a sneak peak of our new exhibit! We
will be opening our doors and garden during the best season. Come see our
wonderful farmhouse and beautiful blooming flowers. *Monday,* *June 1st,
11am – 4pm.* Then join us when we open up our Dutch doors and kick off with
a new exhibit, *Carbon Contrast*. Local artist, Ben-Christo
<http://dyckmanfarmhouse.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=69fcf0deae5fbb21297354220&id=3fe160ca64&e=3333a22bbb>,
will showcase his pieces featuring the Dyckman Farmhouse and the
neighborhood of Inwood. Jazz music by Upper Manhattan jazz Collective. *RSVP
here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/exhibit-opening-carbon-contrast-tickets-16883806921
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/exhibit-opening-carbon-contrast-tickets-16883806921>.
**Thursday, **June 4th**, **6:30pm - 8pm.*

*The Emperor’s New Clothes Join the Scandia Symphony Orchestra for a
family-friendly FREE concert *Script adapted from Hans Christian Andersen’s
classic fairy tale and musical arrangement by Alyssa Reit. Carl Nielsen:
“The Fog is Lifting” for Flute and Harp. Medley of Scandinavian Folk Tunes.
The children will have an opportunity to try the harp and learn about the
trombone, flute and percussion instruments. For more information visit
www.nyscandia.org @nyscandia. In the Anne Loftus Playground (Broadway &
Dyckman St.).* Saturday, June 6th at 2pm.  *

*Uptown Games *At Riverbank State Park, 145th St. at Riverside Drive. For
more information call 212-544-0173 or email
eventsRSVP at adrianoespaillat.org. *Sunday,
June 14th, 8am - noon.*

*Health & Wellness Fair* Free classes, food, activities and lots of
resources and information about physical, emotional, spiritual and mental
health – for individuals and our community. We’re giving away bike helmets
to the first 350 visitors! Sponsored by Councilmember Mark Levine. At
Riverbank State Park, WRiverside Drive at W. 145th St. For more information
call 212-928-6814 or email district7 at council.nyc.gov. *Sunday, June 14th,
11am – 4pm.*

*The People Storm the Palace *is People's Theatre Project's annual benefit
event featuring performance highlights from the current season of
community-created art. Honoring *Zabryna Guevar, **Captain Sarah Essen on
TV's “Gotham” a*nd *Monica Klehr, **Founding Principal of Harbor Heights
Middle School.* At the United Palace Theater, 4140 Broadway (at W. 175th St.
) $25 admission (kids/teens free; $10 for adult family members). Join us
for a VIP reception at 6pm, $50. Buy tickets at:
http://www.peoplestheatreproject.org/#!storm-2015-tickets/cr4d; call
646-398-9062 or email info at peoplestheatreproject.org for more
information. *Tuesday,
June 16th at 7pm*

--------

Elizabeth Lorris Ritter

Community Liaison

State Senator Adriano Espaillat, 31st SD

5030 Broadway, Suite 701 NYC 10034

(212) 544-0173 (ph)

(212) 544-0256 (fx)