[BwayDems] Upcoming events, meetings & opportunities from Sen. Espaillat <5/20/15 edition; 55 items>

Elizabeth Lorris Ritter elritter at adrianoespaillat.org
Wed May 20 22:41:00 EDT 2015

[image: Inline image 1]

*Wednesday, May 20th, 2015*

*Dear Neighbor,*

*Tomorrow morning you have the opportunity to help inform nail salon
workers about their rights, and help New Yorkers learn how they can avoid
taking advantage of unfair labor practices in the industry. There are also
many important events upcoming, including Housing/Rent Reg Town Halls, an
important meeting with the USPS on postal services, new phone support for
caregivers through the Nagle Y, and of course a Memorial Day parade &
wreath laying ceremony. And you can help design a park, learn how to be a
hike leader, or celebrate the warm weather with some conoeing!*

*May is Mental Health Month.** For information on resources, scroll down to
the “Health…” section below. *

*Registration is open for the Outdoor Uptown Games on June 14th at
Riverbank State Park. **It’s a great way for District 6 3rd – 8th graders
to get some exercise and learn about competitive track in a fun
environment. Everyone’s a winner, with medals for all participants and
ribbons for place winners in each of 4 events. Free! T-shirts and snacks
are also provided. Sunday, June 14th, 8am-noon. (Onsite registration closes
at 8:45am.) Call 212-544-0173 or email eventsRSVP at adrianoespaillat.org
<eventsRSVP at adrianoespaillat.org> for more information. *

*Scroll down for information about things happening:*

·         *Tomorrow (Thursday) & Friday (5 items)*

·         *This weekend (7 items)*

·         *Next week (14 items)*

·         *Next weekend (9 items)*

·         *Looking ahead / save-the-Dates! (4 item)*

·         *Arts opportunities & exhibits (3 items)*

·         *Health, environment, recreation & parks (5 items)*

·         *Jobs, training & adult ed (3 items)*

·         *Roads & Transit (1 items)*

·         *How you can help (3 items) **donate your time / money / stuff*

*Please share this e-mail with friends/neighbors. If you know someone who’d
like to subscribe, have them e-mail me with their ZIP code. If you have an
event you’d like to list here, email me the details (PLEASE: text or .doc
format, not .pdf or .jpg).*

*Best,*

*Liz Ritter*

****TOMORROW (THURSDAY) & FRIDAY*** (5 items)*

*Nail Salon Day of Action *Last week, Mayor de Blasio announced an
aggressive advocacy and educational initiative to immediately address labor
and health issues faced by many low-wage immigrant workers at our city's
nail salons. Our first step is to educate salon workers on their rights, so
they know they can reach out for help if their labor rights are being
violated or if their safety or health is being compromised. We also want to
empower consumers to know what to look for and how to report violations.
That's why, tomorrow, we're leading a Nail Salon Day of Action to
distribute educational materials to salon workers, owners, and consumers
all across the five boroughs. The more volunteers we have, the more people
we can reach, and the faster we can improve conditions for some of our
City's most vulnerable workers. Can you join us for the Day of Action
tomorrow morning? Yes, give me the details on how I can get involved:
http://www1.nyc.gov/…/consume…/nail-salon-day-of-action.page
<http://www1.nyc.gov/site/dca/consumers/nail-salon-day-of-action.page>. No,
but please send me updates on how I can support workers' rights and be a
more informed consumer:
http://www1.nyc.gov/site/dca/consumers/more-updates.page. With thanks from
Julie Menin, Commissioner, NYC Department of Consumer Affairs, for
protecting the health and worker rights of our fellow New Yorkers. Meet at
168th St. A/C/1 train. *Thursday, May 21st, 7:30am-9am.*

*How to Start and Run a Successful Retail Business* With Princess Jenkins,
founder of The Brownstone, and special training by Square. You will learn:
legal forms of business; company logo and trademarks; how to buy
merchandise; store finances; merchandise and price-points; finding the
right location; retail interiors; app market place; how to sell online.
Sponsored by the NY Women’s Chamber of Commerce. Free, but you must
purchase a $25 textbook. At City College, W. 137th St. & Amsterdam Ave. For
more information/RSVP: Lawrence Miles (lmiles at nywcc.org / 212-491-6940).
Still a few seats left; register now!* Thursdays, May 21st, 28th & June
4th, 6pm – 9pm.*

*FACE OUT: Yo, Miss by Lisa Wilde *Author Lisa Wilde and Wildcat alumni
will be presenting *Yo, Miss: A Graphic Look at High School*, Wilde’s
graphic book about the NYC second-chance high school, Wildcat Academy,
where she’s taught for the past seventeen years. Described by the *Miami
Herald *as “breathtaking,” *Yo, Miss* gives voice to the students who
attend Wildcat, challenges preconceptions about who they are, and shows the
importance of these kinds of schools. There will be a reading with images
from the book, followed by discussion and Q&A with the Wildcat alumni,
including some who have become longtime volunteers at Word Up! 2113 Amsterdam
Ave. at W. 165th St.; 347-688-4456. *Thursday, May 21st, 6:30pm–8:30pm.*

*District 6 Community Education Council *Meets in the D6 offices at 4360
Broadway at W. 184th St (in PS48, at the southern entrance of the
building), room 430. Call 917-521-3793 for information. *Thursday, May 21st
at 7pm.*

*NYC Prevention Resource Center “Brown Bag Series” / Session 4: Strategic
Prevention Framework (Part III: Implementation & Evaluation) *Pack your
lunch and come to the NYC PRC’s monthly “mini-trainings” that will cover a
variety of topics. Session 2 will be 90 minutes devoted to Strategic
Prevention Framework- Part 1 (Assessment and Capacity). Being involved in a
coalition means being fluent in the SPF. Implementation and evaluation will
be the last sections covered of the SPF. Over the course of 90 minutes we
look at implementation strategies and tools that can be used for
evaluations. A final session will cover sustainability, and will be held at
the same time on June 19th. At 105 E. 22nd St., suite 517. RSVP to Karla
Bueno (kbueno at childrensaidsociety.org / 917-286-1540) by the previous
Wednesday. Registration will be limited to approximately 10-15 people.
Light refreshments will be provided to accompany your lunch. *Friday, May
22nd, noon – 1:30pm.*

****THIS WEEKEND*** (7 items)*

*Be a Hike Leader for “Hike the Heights” or “big Green Gym” Day! *Dear hike
leaders past, present, and future: we need you! What is a Hike leader? Hike
leaders have the opportunity to learn the trails of the giraffe path so you
can help guide hikers on Green Gym Day (May 31st) or the day of Hike the
Heights 11 (June 6th). We are holding hike leader trainings on the
following dates: *Saturday May 23rd* Hike leader training with Lourdes
Rodriguez from the North to the South Route.  Meet at the Ring Garden on
Dyckman Street between Seaman and Broadway at 10am. Please contact: Lourdes at
Rodriguez at nyshealth.org, 917-582-4114. *Sunday May 24th* Hike leader
training with Nancy Bruning from the South to the North route. This will
start at 110th St. & Central Park West, outside Cafe Amrita. We will meet
at 9am and depart by 9:30am. Please contact Nancy Bruning: nbruning at aol.com,
646-318-8544.

*Redesign Javits Playground with Fort Tryon Park Trust and Storefront
Science's Dr. A* You love playing in Javits Playground, but do you want it
to offer more adventure, more climbing, more basketball, more modern play
equipment or gardening? Whatever your vision, we need your help to guide
its upcoming capital reconstruction. Come spend some time with Dr. A
exploring the math, engineering and physics of the playground, and then get
creative about what would your future Javits look like? Javits has received
$1.6 million in capital funding from Councilmember Rodriguez and Borough
President Brewer. Fundraising is underway for the additional $1 million
needed for the project. Space is limited. Appropriate for ages 5-12.
Children must be accompanied by an adult. You must pre-register by emailing
info at FortTryonPark.org. Meet at Javits' northern Cabrini entrance. *Saturday
May 23rd, 10am -11:30am.*

*Soft Sculpture Creation for Children with Autism/Fashion Plate Family
Workshop* Morris-Jumel Mansion hosts two family-friendly arts workshops.
First, Morris-Jumel's team of educators will conduct a soft-sculpture
creation class designed specifically for children with autism. Attendees
will use a variety of media -- which MJM will provide, though attendees are
welcome to bring their own -- to create plush, colorful sculptures that
will be theirs to keep. Then educators and curatorial staff will lead a
family workshop in which participants will learn about and make fashion
plates (the pre-camera-period illustrations that documented and dictated
the latest in *haute couture*). The workshop is being held in conjunction
with "Yinka Shonibare MBE: Colonial Arrangements," Morris-Jumel's
site-specific exhibition of new and recent work by world-renowned artist
and Turner Prize finalist Yinka Shonibare MBE. Both workshops are free for
children. There is a $10 suggested donation for adults. Reservations are
recommended. To RSVP, call 212-923-8008 or email marketing at morrisjumel.org. At
the Morris-Jumel Mansion, 65 Jumel Place at W. 160th St., one block east of
St. Nicholas Ave. *Saturday, May 23rd* *at 10am *(Soft Sculpture) &
*1pm *(Fashion
Plates).

*Compost Crew *Every Saturday, the Compost Crew processes food scraps
collected at the Inwood Greenmarket and organic waste recovered from New
York Restoration Project's landscaping operations. Learn about the process
of composting and the dynamic range of current projects in New York City
while making a contribution to local waste reduction and greening efforts.
All participants are provided with monthly training sessions and asked to
commit to at least three work days. Ongoing trainings and orientations are
scheduled for the first work day of every month. For more information about
New York Restoration Project crews or to register, email volunteer at nyrp.org.
At Sherman Creek Park, 10 Ave. btw. Academy St. & the Harlem River. *Every
Saturday, 1pm – 3:30pm*, through October 24th.

*Macy's Sunday Story Time at the New York Historical Society.* Hear a
different tale every Sunday of NYC and the people who made it great from
the seventeenth century to present day. Ages 3-7. Free with Family pass
from cool culture (to obtain info on how to register your family for the
family pass reach out to your school's staff). The New York Historical
Society is located at 170 Central Park West at W. 77th St. *Sundays at
11:30am.*

*Inwood Canoeing *Few experiences compare with being on the open water in
New York City. Our trained Urban Park Rangers will lead you on canoe
adventures that range from the gentle waters of protected lakes to the
challenging open waters of rivers and bays. Basic canoe programs are great
for all skill levels. This program is for ages 8 and up. For more
information, contact the Urban Park Rangers at 212-628-2345. Meet on the
Peninsula in Inwood Hill Park. *Sunday, May 24th, 1:30pm – 4:30pm.*

*Marjorie Eliot & Parlor Entertainment Present* The 3:30 pm Sunday
Concerts, a series of jazz concerts in Marjorie Elliot's apartment which
have taken place for the past 23 years. Marjorie has now added Theatre-At-
Six-Thirty, Plays Written by Marjorie Eliot at 6:30 pm. Both jazz and
theatre performances will take place every Sunday through the end of the
year. No charge, but donations are appreciated. 555 Edgecombe Avenue, 3F
(Ring #107). Info: 212-781-6595. *Sundays at 3:30p, & 6:30pm. *

****NEXT WEEK*** (14 items)*

*Memorial Day Parade *Stepping off from Dyckman/Broadway/Riverside Drive,
northbound on Broadway to Isham St.; west to Seaman Ave.; right into the
park to the flagpole for a brief wreath-laying ceremony. Sponsored by the
Inwood American Legion Post #581. *Monday, May 25th at noon.*

*Memorial Day Music Marathon *Riverbank is opening our summer season with
our annual Memorial Day concert and we’re counting on you “staycationers”
to get down and boogie on the river with us! R&B Soul SensationJamaica
Rebirth, hot-hot-hot Orquesta Fuerza Gigante, and DJ/house party. It’s
going to be a glorious summer and we look forward to seeing your faces. Get
out the hat, the chair, the sunscreen and Come On Down! Free! At Riverbank
State Park, 145th Street at Riverside Drive. *Monday, May 25th, 1:30pm –
5pm. *Rain or shine!

*The Taming of the Shrew* New York Classical Theatre presents the William
Shakespeare classic. No tickets required—just show up! All Performances
begin at 7pm. In Central Park, enter at W. 103rd St. & Central Park West.
Note: the productions move around a bit through surrounding areas of the
park. Free, though contributions gratefully accepted. *Tuesday & Wednesday,
May 26th & 27th; Thursdays – Sundays through June 28th at 7pm. *There will
also be FREE family workshops *Saturdays & Sundays, **June 6th/**7th and
13th/14th at **5pm.*

*Community Board 12 General Meeting *At the Russ Berrie Pavilion, 1150 St.
Nicholas Ave., at W. 167th St. *Tuesday, May 26th, at 7pm.*

*Rally for Parks Funding *on the steps of City Hall. Join City Council
Parks Committee Chair Mark Levine, New Yorkers for Parks, community
gardeners and open space advocates from every borough as we call upon the
Mayor and City Council to commit much-needed funding for our city’s parks
and gardens. *Wednesday, May 27th at 11am.*

*Community Postal Forum* Come share your concerns with representatives from
the US Postal Service on issues affecting Harlem, Washington Heights and
Inwood, in particular the 10027, 10033 and 10034 Post Offices. At the Seymour
Milstein Family Heart Center, 173 Ft. Washington Avenue (near W. 168th
Street). *Wednesday, May 27th, 6pm – 8pm.*

*Park West Policy Forum: the Roots of the Affordable Housing Crisis *Featuring
Professor Richard Wolff, noted economist, author and radio host. Scarce
affordable housing in New York City, excessive housing costs in most
Americans' budgets, explosions from Ferguson to Baltimore and beyond are
all symptoms of global economic change. As capitalism's center shifts away
to Asia, South America, etc., the US economy "adjusts." Business and the
rich are best positioned to adjust and so become richer. The "middle class"
evaporates and sinks into the 99% whose bottom layers are increasingly
marginalized and desperate. Prof. Wolff's talk will explain the causes and
consequences of capitalism's shift and the problems it poses. At Saint
Michaels Episcopal Church, corner of 99th Street and Amsterdam Avenue. All
are welcome. For further information: call 917-338-6415 or email
PWPolicyForum at gmail.com. *Wednesday May 27th, 6:30pm – 9pm.*

*34th Precinct Community Council *meets at Isabella Geriatric Center, 515
Audubon Ave. @ W. 190th St. *Wednesday, May 27th at 7pm.*

*How to Start and Run a Successful Retail Business* With Princess Jenkins,
founder of The Brownstone, and special training by Square. You will learn:
legal forms of business; company logo and trademarks; how to buy
merchandise; store finances; merchandise and price-points; finding the
right location; retail interiors; app market place; how to sell online.
Sponsored by the NY Women’s Chamber of Commerce. Free, but you must
purchase a $25 textbook. At City College, W. 137th St. & Amsterdam Ave. For
more information/RSVP: Lawrence Miles (lmiles at nywcc.org / 212-491-6940).
Still a few seats left; register now!* Thursdays, May 28th & June 4th, 6pm
– 9pm.*

*Town Hall Meetings on Rent Regulation *Join Senator Espaillat and other
elected officials and advocates as we discuss how to strengthen rent laws.
Already 35,000 regulated units have been lost under current rent laws since
their passage in 2011. More than 200,000 have been lost since the early
1990's. New York is in the midst of a housing crisis, we cannot hope to
climb out of if we continue losing affordable housing. It is imperative we
expand rent regulations to stop sharp rent increases that are forcing
working New Yorkers out of their homes. With less than one month remaining
until the expiration of rent laws, I will be hosting two town hall meetings
so residents are informed about how these laws affect them, and to talk
about specific proposals for how the rent laws can be improved. The two
town hall meetings will be held in Inwood at the Washington Heights Academy
(202 Sherman Ave. at W. 204th St.) on *Thursday, May 28th at 6:30pm* and in
Washington Heights at Fort George Presbyterian Church (1525 St. Nicholas
Ave. at W. 186th St.) on *Thursday, June 4th at 6:30pm.*

*Save the Date for Sunset on the Hudson, The Fort Tryon Park Trust's Annual
Gala* *Honoring Lynden Miller. *Lynden Miller has been a tireless advocate
for and designer of beautiful gardens throughout New York City and beyond.
The Fort Tryon Park Trust is excited to celebrate Lynden's extensive
contributions to the green spaces of NYC, and hope you'll consider joining
them. Benefit proceeds will help sustain this historic park, underwriting
horticultural staff; free environmental, cultural and fitness programs, and
targeted capital improvements. Purchase tickets online (
https://www.forttryonparktrust.org/sunset_on_the_hudson_gala.html); call
212-795-1388 x300 for event/ticket info. For a short but inspiring video on
Ms. Miller’s work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab6V_00YqKI&app=desktop. *Thursday,
May 28th **(6:30pm cocktails in the Heather Garden; 7:30pm dinner on the
David Rockefeller Linden Terrace). W/C acc.*

*33rd Precinct Community Council *meets at the Precinct, 2207 Amsterdam
Ave. @ W. 171st St. *Thursday, May 28th at 6:30pm.*

*A universe of Borders: An Evening of Short Stories & Spoken Word *The
philosopher Julia Kristeva describes the world of literature as "a universe
of borders, seesaws, fragile and mingled identities." Come explore this
universe with four New York–based artists— ePRHYME, Matthue Roth, Daniel
"Majesty" Sanchez, and Samantha Turk—during an evening of short stories and
spoken word, in conjunction with Dream Uptown, a project of the Fort Tryon
Jewish Center. At Word Up! 2113 Amsterdam Ave. at W. 165th St.;
347-688-4456. *Thursday, May 28th, 6:30pm–8:30pm.*

*12th Annual ArtStroll Opening Reception *honoring Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ty
Jones, Andrea Arroyo and Eduardo Gomez, will kick off a month-long
festival, celebrating arts and culture in Washington Heights-Inwood and
West Harlem. Hosted by the Sugar Hill Children’s Museum of Art &
Storytelling, Broadway Housing Communities and the Northern Manhattan Arts
Alliance. At the Children’s Museum of Art & Storytelling, 898 St. Nicholas
Avenue (btw. W. 154th & W. 155th Streets.)Please email
artstroll at nomaanyc.org or visit www.artstroll.com for more
information. *Friday,
May 29th, 6:30pm**-8:30pm.*

****NEXT WEEKEND*** (9 items)*

*Festival & Carnival del Boulevard *An event for the whole family: music,
folk dancing, food kiosks, games for children, and much more!On St.
Nicholas Avenue / Juan Pablo Duarte Blvd. from W. 181st to W. 185th
Streets. Presented by the Juan Pablo Duarte Foundation; call 917-270-4987
or email laura at jpdfoundation.org. *Saturday, May 30th, 10am – 6pm.*

*Crime Prevention Fair *Bring your bikes, cell phones, laptops and iPads!
Bikes will be marked with an identification number using an engraver. A
decal, which is difficult to removes, is affixed to the bike; in the event
that it’s removed, “VOID” appears on what remains. If the bike is stolen
and recovered, it can be traced. You can also register your electronics
with the NYPD so they can be recovered if stolen. You may also enjoy
refreshments, and the beautiful RING Garden. At the Riverside/Inwood
Community Garden at the confluence of Riverside Drive, Dyckman Street &
Broadway. For more information, contact P/O Erik Rodriguez: 212-927-9301 /
erik.rodriguez at nypd.org. *Saturday, May 30th, 10am – 2pm.*

*PS/MS278 Spring Fair *We are expanding our annual Spring Fair this year.
We have received our permit to allow us to have 219th Street blocked off
and we will be having several new activities and events there from rock
climbing, basketball, obstacle courses, arts and crafts, a DJ and more.
Free and open to the public, even if you don’t have a kid in the
school! *Saturday,
May 30th, 11am – 5pm.*

*Multicultural Festival: Celebrate Diversity; Celebrate You *New York City
is "home to the world". Join us for a celebration of our diverse cultural
traditions. There will be live performances; food; a fashion show;
activites for children; health, safety & wellness activities; and
information resources. Free and open to the public! For more information,
or to register to perform, be a vendor, or exhibit, please visit
www.multiculturalfestival.nyc, email info at multiculturalfestival.nyc or call
212-862-4858. On St. Nicholas Ave., btw. W. 141st & W. 145th Streets.
*Saturday,
May 30th, noon - 7pm.*

[...]

park. Free, though contributions gratefully accepted. *Thursdays – Sundays
through June 28th at 7pm. *There will also be FREE family workshops *Saturdays
& Sundays, **June 6th/**7th and 13th/14th at **5pm.*

*Green Gym Day 2015 *Come explore the cliff-side parks of northern
Manhattan, traversing a total of six parks over six miles of breathtaking
views of both the East and Hudson Rivers. Participants may choose to hike a
portion, or all of the inspiring trek. Join Green Gym Day's magical journey
through New York City's finest green spaces with Hiking-For-Life NYC 2015,
an optional fundraiser benefiting Moving For Life and their dance exercise
and wellness programs for cancer prevention and recovery. Along the way,
Moving For Life will lead health-giving stretches, and Green Gym Day will
teach participants how to turn any park into a green gym.
http://movingforlife.org/. Sign up registration
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hiking-for-life-nyc-2015-tickets-16685928060.
Free- via Nancercize and Outdoor Fest. *Sunday, May 31st, 9am – 2pm *
*(approximate)*

[...]

****LOOKING AHEAD / SAVE-THE-DATES!*** (4 items)*

*Dyckman Farmhouse Reopens June 1st; watch this space for details!*

*Young People’s Performance Series* Treat your students to the magic,
pantomime and eccentric dances of Geist and his many characters, including
”The Wacky Waiter” and “The Bell Boy”. His interactive, Buster
Keaton-inspired artistry has thrilled children across nation. We saved the
best for last – we wanted to send you out on a “high” note, something
breezy and carefree, so we booked “Geist,” a children’s mime and comic
performer who always brings the house down. No child can resist this guy!
Tickets are $3 per person for this. You can call to reserve, but we prefer
email: patricia.vitucci at parks.ny.gov. *At Riverbank State Park, 145th St.
at Riverside Drive. For more information call 212-694-3656. **Wednesday,
June 3rd at 10am.* (If there is enough demand, we may add a second show at
11:30am.)

*Health & Wellness Fair* Free classes, food, activities and lots of
resources and information about physical, emotional, spiritual and mental
health – for individuals and our community. We’re giving away bike helmets
to the first 350 visitors! Sponsored by Councilmember Mark Levine. At
Riverbank State Park, WRiverside Drive at W. 145th St. For more information
call 212-928-6814 or email district7 at council.nyc.gov. *Sunday, June 14th,
11am – 4pm.*

*The People Storm the Palace *is People's Theatre Project's annual benefit
event featuring performance highlights from the current season of
community-created art. Honoring *Zabryna Guevar, **Captain Sarah Essen on
TV's “Gotham” a*nd *Monica Klehr, **Founding Principal of Harbor Heights
Middle School.* At the United Palace Theater, 4140 Broadway (at W. 175th St.
) $25 admission (kids/teens free; $10 for adult family members). Join us
for a VIP reception at 6pm, $50. Buy tickets at:
http://www.peoplestheatreproject.org/#!storm-2015-tickets/cr4d; call
646-398-9062 or email info at peoplestheatreproject.org for more
information. *Tuesday,
June 16th at 7pm*

****ARTS OPPORTUNITIES & EXHIBITS (3 items)****

*The Hebrew Tabernacle's Gold Wing Gallery* *Presents *the artwork of
American Painter, Jan Johnson (1918-2014) to our gallery for a May-June,
2015 Art Exhibit, Two Worlds.  Ms. Johnson was an internationally known
fine artist and teacher, working in oils on canvas in an Impressionist
style and on rice paper with watercolors in a Chinese Art style*. *Her
works, many of which are for sale, were chosen by her daughter, Inwood
resident, Maggie Clarke. This free exhibit runs through the end of June. The
Gold Wing is located in Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation's Art Deco building
at 551 Fort Washington Avenue at W. 185th St, a few blocks south of Fort
Tryon Park and the Cloisters. Call 212-568-8301 or visit
hebrewtabernacle.org

*Yinka Shonibare: **Colonial Arrangements*
<http://morrisjumel.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=83da5349053bd232ec84f9304&id=295a4d17fc&e=b45f5617f0>
On
May 1st, the Morris-Jumel Mansion opened the most ambitious art exhibition
in its 250-year history. *Colonial Arrangements* will feature new and
established work by world-renowned British-Nigerian artist Yinka Shonibare.
Celebrated for his extensive use of Dutch wax textiles, Shonibare makes art
that’s at once colorful, invigorating, fantastical and thought-provoking.
In *Colonial Arrangements*, Morris-Jumel will place in several of its
period rooms classic Shonibare sculptures taken from the series “Mother and
Father Worked Hard So I Can Play” and “Planets In My Head,” as well as an
entirely new work, commissioned by the Mansion, which uses
19th-century-inspired
theatrical techniques to create a ghostly apparition of Eliza Jumel, MJM’s
longest resident. The general opening is free; tickets to the VIP Preview
Hour are $50. Reservations are required for both. Call 212-923-8008 or email
marketing at morrisjumel.org to reserve. *On display through August 31st. *W/C
acc.

*Frida Kahlo’s New York *Works on paper and sequential art by Felipe
Galindo/Feggo. This award-winning cartoonist and illustrator presents
humorous works on paper and sequential artworks from his project “Frida
Kahlo’s New York,” as well as preparatory drawings and storyboards for the
animation in progress of the same title. For more info, visit
www.felipegalindo.com <http://www.felipegalindo.comf/> or call
212-253-9479. Free and open to the public. At the Mark Miller Gallery, 92
Orchard St. (Not uptown, but Feggo is our very own uptown artist!) Main
exhibit is W/C acc (additional works on a second level accessible only with
by stairs). *On view Weds-Sun, noon-6 and by appointment, through June 7th.*

****HEALTH, ENVIRONMENT, RECREATION & PARKS (5 items)****

*Free Zumba Demos from NMIC* The Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation
(NMIC) will be hosting free community Zumba classes and cooking demos! Free
Zumba classes will be held at the United Palace of Cultural Arts located at
4140 Broadway (at 175th St.) beginning Monday March 16th. All fitness and
experience levels are invited to this fun dance-inspired workout to great
music! Please register in advance online at:
http://emblemhealthlivehealthy.com/upcoming-events/. Children ages 13- 16
years old are welcome if accompanied by parent or guardian; children under 13
may not attend. This program is presented to you by NMIC and Inwood
Community Services, Inc. with support provided by EmblemHealth. *Mondays &*
*Thursdays* *at* *7pm** ***sharp*.*

*Awesome Asana Yoga *It’s Spring. As the city’s energy hums with radiance
and signs of life begin to blink open their sleeping eyes, apartment-bound
New Yorkers, restless with cabin fever, step into the light. Join us for
classes this week at the Morris-Jumel Mansion (65 Jumel Terrace, btw. W. 160
th & 162nd Streets, one block east of St. Nicholas Ave.) Classes are free
with museum admission. For more information, email Chelsea Best at
awesomeasanayoga at gmail.com. *Thursdays & Sundays, 1pm – 2pm.*

*Stay Fit This Spring with CityParks Seniors Fitness* Get out of the house
and into your local park. *NYC seniors can register for free fitness
programs in all five boroughs! *Even in moderate amounts, exercise can help
us feel better, maintain or lose weight, reduce risk of heart disease and
diabetes, and minimize the symptoms of arthritis. No matter how old we are,
our bodies always benefit from physical activity. *There’s something for
everyone from Yoga to Tennis and even Fitness Walking. *All activities are
free and include free use of equipment. Activities take place twice a week
for an hour unless otherwise stated. Participants are encouraged to
register for multiple activities, if available, and to maintain regular
attendance. Class sizes for yoga are limited and open on a first-come
basis. Registration is available online
<http://cityparksfoundation.us9.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d6c71d6bcb551b80c31cbd087&id=7d57fda497&e=6749ff47a8>
or
on-site the first day of programming. If you have questions about the
program email sports at cityparksfoundation.org
<sports at cityparksfoundation.org?subject=Spring%20Seniors%20Fitness> or call
718-760-6999.

*May is Mental Health Month *Every year more than 40,000 Americans commit
suicide; in New York State, there’s a suicide every five hours. Suicide in
the 2nd leading cause of death for adults aged 25-34 and the 3rd leading
cause of death for young people aged 10-24 in New York State. Senator
Espaillat has sponsored legislation (S3561) that would require that the NYS
Commissioner of Office of Mental Health publish materials online educating
the public about signs and symptoms of depression, warning signs, how
depression manifests in different cultural contexts, appropriate actions to
take if suicide risk is suspected, and websites with youth suicide
prevention resources. Sen. Espaillat also sponsored S4261 requiring OMH to
develop and make available online resources to teach students about both
suicide prevention and signs of depression. For more information and
resources, visit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (
www.afsp.org), the New York State Office of Mental Health (www.omh.ny.gov),
and/or the National Alliance on Mental Illness (www.nami.org)

*Telephone Support Group for Caregivers *Do you care for an aging parent,
spouse, relative or friend? Are you looking for an opportunity to share
experiences? Resource information? Productive strategies for handling your
needs? Please join the YM&YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood for a brand
new telephone support group for caregivers in the NYC area. The group will
be facilitated by licensed social workers from the Y. Topics will include
communication, self-care, dealing with stress, coping with loss, burn-out,
and more. For more information or to register, please call Chevi
<Cmarks at ywashhts.org> at 212-569-6200 x251 or Rina at x233. *E**very other
Tuesday at noon, starting May 19th *

****JOBS, TRAINING & ADULT ED (3 items)****

*Grace Outreach College Prep Program* seeks young women, ages 18-24, who
have either a high school diploma or a GED/TASC/high school equivalency
diploma, and want to attend CUNY in fall 2015. Some stipend support is
available via this scholarship. Students who begin their college work with
zero or only one remedial class have a MUCH better chance statistically of
graduating within 3 years for an associate's degree. Grace Outreach
operates this special summer program as a member of the Bronx Opportunity
Network (BON) consortium. The program is from mid June to the end of July. For
more information, please call Lisa DeMun at 718-382-0580 or email Lauren
Calderon: lcalderon at graceoutreachbronx.org. Applications are *due June 1st
at 4pm, *although we urge potential students to get it in earlier due to
high demand for these seats.

*Money Matters: Gratis y en Español (Free and in Spanish) **Información
financiera básica, gratuita, que se ofrece en 6 talleres y sesiones
individuales a través de nuestro serviceo de coaching de finanzas del
programa. Usted Elige. Talleres, sesiones individuales de coaching, or
cualquier combinación de lo anterior. Coaching de finanzas: las sesiones
deberán reservarse por adelantado. Por favor visite **www.nypl.org/money*
<http://www.nypl.org/money> *para hacer una reservación en linea. *Money
Matters: free, basic financial information covered in 6 workshops, plus
one-on-one help through our Money Matters coaching Service. It's your
choice. Workshops, one-on-one coaching, or any combination of the two.
Financial Coaching sessions must be books ahead of time. Please visit our
website at www.nypl.org/money to book online. *Inwood Library, 4790
Broadway. W/C acc. Info: **212-942-2445.*

·         *Vivienda / Housing:* 1 Junio, 5:30pm-6:30pm

·         *Bancos / Banking:* 30 Mayo, 12:30pm-1:30pm, 15 Junio,
5:30pm-6:30pm

·         *Creditio / Credit: *13 Junio, 12:30pm-1:30 pm

·         *Deuda / Debt: *27 Junio, 12:30pm-1:30pm

*Custodian Wanted* Hebrew Tabernacle, 551 Ft. Washington Ave. at W. 185th
St., is looking for part-time custodial help. The hours would be on Sundays
and during the week in the afternoon/evening on Mondays, Wednesdays and
Fridays. There would be an opportunity to work additional hours for special
events. If you are interested, please contact Sheldon Koy and send a resume
to skhspr at gmail.com or call 212 568-8304 and leave your name and contact
info.

****ROADS & TRANSIT (1 item)****

*Attention Motorists Using the George Washington Bridge During the
Overnight Hours *Beginning Monday, May 4th, The Port Authority of New York
and New Jersey will resume a steel deck improvement project on the upper
level of the George Washington Bridge that may cause significant overnight
delays. Three of four Upper Level bridge lanes will be closed during the
hours below: Monday to Thursday from 9pm - 5am the following morning; Friday
& Saturday nights from 10pm - 10am the following morning. Passenger
vehicles should use the lower level to avoid delays, but also check
electronic signs on the approach route which will provide the latest travel
times across the upper and lower levels. Motorists may also choose to
consider seeking an alternate route. The lower level will be fully open to
both cash and E-ZPass customers when work is occurring in the eastbound
direction to New York. Trucks are required to use the upper level at all
times. *Beginning May 4th.*

****HOW YOU CAN HELP (3 items)****

*Volunteers needed at the United Palace *The Concert! This is the annual
event featuring 6 El Sistema-inspired youth orchestras. (12:30pm arrival;
1:30pm doors; 2pm concert; 4pm done). Please email Mike Fitelson (
mikef at unitedpalace.org) if you are available to pitch in for any of these
dates. The two priorities we will have are concession stand and a welcome
table for donations/information. *Saturday, May 30th**, 12:30-4pm.*

*Support New York’s Public Libraries! *An investment in libraries is an
investment in kids like these Inwood kids! This is Social Media week for
library advocacy. Tweet and post your support to the City Council and to
your local Councilmember. ‪#‎investinlibraries
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/investinlibraries?source=feed_text>

*#WHIN & DINE Needs Your Feedback** Restaurant Week is Over. *Every year we
work hard to organized a bigger and better restaurant week for you and
participating restaurants. Therefore, your feedback is essential in the
growth of #WHIN & DINE. Please take a few minutes to complete our survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/77RK92N?c=788f3ea5be

--------

Elizabeth Lorris Ritter

Community Liaison

State Senator Adriano Espaillat, 31st SD

5030 Broadway, Suite 701 NYC 10034

(212) 544-0173 (ph)

(212) 544-0256 (fx)