[BwayDems] Upcoming events, meetings & opportunities from Sen. Espaillat <3/12/15 supplemental; 10 items>

Elizabeth Lorris Ritter elritter at adrianoespaillat.org
Thu Mar 12 16:20:05 EDT 2015

[image: Inline image 1]

*Thursday, March 12th, 2015*

*Dear Neighbor,*

*Please note several items of news or events happening this weekend or next
week which came in after I sent out the weekly blast on Tuesday. *

*Please join us for the Our Schools / Our Voices Rally this Sunday at City
Hall. (Details below.)*

*Best,*

*Liz Ritter*

*CEC application deadline extended to Monday, March 16th *Click here for
more information or to apply visit http://nycparentleaders.org/.

*Urbano’s Circus, the Irish-Italian Edition* Inspired by Alexander Calder’s
“Circus of Wire”. Performed in broken Blarney Italian by Richard Grunn and
his sons Dylan & Sheridan, Urbano’s Circus will amaze and entertain the
entire family with its hilarious trash-constructed puppets as they perform
their death-defying and suspenseful acts! Free focaccia soda bread!
Sponsored Sponsored by UP Theater Company, at Inwood UpstART, 93 Cooper
St., btw. Isham & W. 207th St. *Saturday, March 14th at 8pm.*

*Our Schools / Our Voices Rally *This Sunday our city will come together in
support of increased funding for our schools, providing teachers with the
necessary tools to ensure our students can obtain a sound, basic education.
Join Public Advocate Tisch James for a rally to fund our schools and
respect our teachers. We know the future of our city and our state rests on
the investments we make in our schools, and NYC must get its fair share.
Years after a court ruling mandating that New York State fully fund our
schools, we still don’t have the educations funding our schools were
promised. The to reclaim education in New York City is NOW! At City Hall
Park. RSVP at http://bit.ly/1B1MCKq or email rsvp at pubadvocate.nyc.gov. *Sunday,
March 15th at 1:30pm.*

*The Craic: Word & Song with a Touch of the Blarney* Bagpipes, for the love
of Pete! Fiddles! A guy singing in a kilt! Maybe even some Guiness! More
fiddles! And people with very Irish names. What more could you want for the
St. Paddy’s edition of “half-baked and brand-spankin’!” At Inwood UpstART,
93 Cooper St., btw. Isham & W. 207th St. *Sunday, March 15th at 6pm *(note
earlier start).

*Community Brain Expo: A Celebration of Science & the Brain *Families,
students and teachers are invited to test, trick and learn about their
brains at the 3rd annual Community Brain Expo. Featuring demonstrations by
scientists and activities for all ages. Sponsored by Columbia University’s
Zuckerman Institute. Free and open to the public. RSVP encourage (but not
required): http://brainexpo2015.eventbrite.com. Question? Email
zuckermanoutreach at columbia.edu. At the NYS Psychiatric Institute, 40 Haven
Ave., 1 block west of W. 168th St. & Ft. Washington Ave. *Wednesday, March
18th, 2pm-5pm.*

*District 6 Community Education Council Public Meeting *At the D6 offices,
4360 Broadway (between W. 185th & W. 187th Streets), room 531. *Thursday,
March 19th, 7pm – 10pm.*

*Housing and Rent Regulations in NYC *with Delsenia Glover, Campaign
Manager, Alliance for Tenant Power, and Rent Regulation Lead Organizer,
Tenant & Neighbors Alliance for Tenant Power; and Kennyu Schaeffer,
Vice-Chair, Metropolitan Council on Housing and Housing Attorney, Legal Aid
Society. At the Bank Street College of Education, 610 W. 112th Street
(between Broadway and Riverside Drive). *Thursday, March 19thth* *at 8pm.*

*191st Street Tunnel Street Beautification RQF *Are you an artist who
creates large-scale murals in the public realm, but aren’t sure how to
partner with the City to present your artwork? Apply to the 191st Street
Tunnel Beautification Request for Qualification to present a mural within
the 900’ 191st Street Tunnel Street in Washington Heights. DoT will select
up to four artists to present murals on two 200’ long x 10’ high walls.
Visit www.nyc.gov/dotart to learn more about this opportunity and download
the application. *Deadline is Friday, March 20th. *

*You CAN’T Cross That Bridge When You Get To It! *This just in from the
Parks Department: “We have a massive sink hole in Inwood Hill Park on the
walkway bridge that leads from the nature center's boat storage building
southward towards Gaelic Field. Alert park visitors, residents and dog
walkers/owners that the bridge will be closed? We are putting up barricades
and setting down plywood, but want to be sure people, especially those who
are out walking after dark perhaps with their dogs avoid the bridge. Work
orders have been put in for repairs, and the bridge will be closed until
they are made. We'd love your help in protecting the public so please do
help us get the word out. With thanks, Jennifer M. Hoppa, Administrator
Northern Manhattan Parks

*Improving the Tree Health of Isham Park *NYC Parks has planted over 13,000
trees in Northern Manhattan Parks and our street network since the start of
MillionTreesNYC. As part of NYC Parks’ overall effort to improve tree
health and public safety, trained NYC Parks foresters surveyed every tree
in Northern Manhattan parks to identify trees in poor health and those
severely impacted by storms. At Isham Park, 35 trees are slated for removal
and replanting. Tree removals are set to begin March 23rd. A fall planting
contract will follow, which will include shade trees, understory native
trees, conifers and trees evocative of the park’s estate period. The Isham
Park water service capital project, which will be completed later this
spring, will help NYC Parks sustain the new trees. For more information,
contact Jennifer.Hoppa at parks.nyc.gov.

Feel free to share this e-mail with friends/neighbors.

Best,

Liz Ritter

--------

Elizabeth Lorris Ritter

Community Liaison

State Senator Adriano Espaillat, 31st SD

5030 Broadway, Suite 701 NYC 10034

(212) 544-0173 (ph)

(212) 544-0256 (fx)