[BwayDems] Upcoming events, meetings & opportunit​ies from Sen. Espaillat <8/1/14 edition / 83+ items>

Elizabeth Lorris Ritter elritter at adrianoespaillat.org
Fri Aug 1 01:16:13 EDT 2014

*Friday, August 1st, 2014*

*Dear Neighbor,*

*As always, there’s so much going on all over the District. Lots of
fitness, recreation and cultural programs in many of our parks – many of
them ongoing throughout the summer. (Check out the new Zumba and sunset
yoga programs in Ft. Tryon Park!) Don’t miss this Sunday’s 6th annual
Stanley Michels Jazz Concert in Ft. Tryon Park, and next Sunday’s Dominican
Heritage Breakfast. Save the date for our Job Fair at the Malcolm X / Dr.
Betty L. Shabazz Center on August 21st. Scroll down for information on the
NYPD’s Citizens Police Academy 14-week course, as well as the latest on the
campaign to Save the Palisades from LG’s proposed development. *

*NOTE: the new 25mph speed limit on Broadway (W. 59th to W. 220th Streets)
goes into effect on Monday!*

*Scroll down for information about things happening:*

   -

   *Friday (3 items)*
   -

   *This weekend (20 items)*
   -

   *Next week (12 items)*
   -

   *Next weekend (8 items)*
   -

   *Looking ahead / Save-the-Date! (10 items)*
   -

   *Educational & vocational opportunities (4 items)*
   -

   *Health, Recreation & Fitness (10 items)*
   -

   *How You Can Help (3 items): **share your money / stuff / time*
   -

   *Road & transit information (5 items) **including lane closures and
   public transit service interruptions*
   -

   *Ongoing events & opportunities (7 items)*
   -

   *LG / Palisades update*

*Please share this e-mail with friends/neighbors. If you know someone who’d
like to subscribe, have them e-mail me with their ZIP code. If you have an
event you’d like to list here, email me the details (text or .doc format,
please, not .pdf or .jpg).*

*Lastly, I am on vacation, so there will be no eblast next week. *

*Best,*

*Liz Ritter*

**** FRIDAY*** (3 items)*

*Rock Those Reads! *If you're in Harlem and it's the first day of the
month, remember to "#RockThoseReads"--carry reading materials publicly and
proudly, outside of your bag, everywhere you go. Spark reading-related
conversations with other community members, and show our young people that
reading is at the heart of who we are and what we do as Harlemites. For 90
minutes we will hand out Literacy Across Harlem Day flyers; ask passersby
to jot down their current and recommended "reads"; tell folks why we love
reading, and listen to their reading-related stories; encourage others to
carry their "reads" outside of their bags! If you can’t make it, tweet or
instagram a selfie of your "read" of the day to @TotalEquityNow
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001DOoNoVD_DBw3u6R3mW0xdQzrp98P6aW1BTh4YP0U6pVcoKbH-4p-UNVeq2ybTdLhL337VRqZj98wnc2q3_QrefnPA-0HiL5ddE_15djUCERueKdHkaF_5XaE4G5upcI6kklkHxlyBUsgbioXfagyZzyNett_BcNt4c8rsD01Ae_x_nnoXlRul2inFwDo2_fO&c=XQaKurNpFO2ggHfucF8d64S_6LoKpyw4lW65P_lJUK3HfB_znz4evg==&ch=WP-_GQ1KH6f_HXl7btrjbVnwrNfUBfUfYZ_Rd0ykFh4zJKGcDCy0CQ==>
and
#RockThoseReads. On the corner of 116th Street and Lexington Avenue, just
outside the 6-train stop. *Friday, August 1st, 6pm - 7:30 pm.*

*Moose Hall Theater Company / Inwood Shakespeare Festival *presents
*Rhinoceros* by Eugene Ionesco. On the Inwood Hill Park Peninsula;
entrances at W. 218th St. / Indian Road and at Isham St. / Seaman Ave. For
more information, visit www.inwoodshakespearefestival.com. Produced in
partnership with the NYC Parks Department of Parks & Recreation. FREE!
Bring a blanket and we’ll see you there! Note: While these productions are
free, your contributions when the hat is passed at the end are vital to
keeping the company going. http://www.moosehallisf.org/homepage.htm.
*Wednesdays
– Saturdays, July 23rd – August 2nd, at 7:30pm.*

*Romeo & Juliet at Riverbank State Park* Pulse theatre is already painting
backdrops in the amphitheater for this summer’s Shakespeare: *Romeo &
Juliet. *We’ll see what New York surprises director Alexa has in store for
us this year. Don’t forget to bring a pillow for your bum! At Riverbank
State Park, W. 145th Street @ Riverside Drive. Rain or shine: if we’re not
outside, we’re in the theatre. *Wednesdays-Sundays through August 17th at
8pm.*

****THIS WEEKEND*** (20 items)*

*SATURDAY (8 items) *

*The Colors that Brighten My Life Mario Tavarez *exhibit with twenty
acrylic paintings. At the Inwood Library (4790 Broadway), 1st floor. Info:
212-942-2445. *Through August 2nd. *

*Net Fishing in Inwood: Go In-Seine! *Join naturalists from the Hudson
River Estuary Program as they pull a seine net through the waters of the
tidal basin at Inwood Hill Park, identifying and counting their catch for
the annual Great Hudson River Estuary Fish Count. During this free family
program, participants may volunteer to put on waterproof boots and help
collect a variety of wriggly and fascinating creatures usually hidden below
the surface of the water. On the Inwood Hill Park Peninsula. For more
information: hrep at dec.ny.gov / 845-256-3016.* Saturday, August 2nd, 10am –
11:30am.*

*Explore Your Neighborhood Forest *Did you know that there's a real-life
FOREST in Inwood Hill Park? Did you know it has a pretty awesome name:
Shorakapok Reserve? Have you ever really (and we mean really) *explored*
it? Join Scribble Art Workshop and Bread & Yoga for a FREE Guided
Exploration lead by Chris Whitney, local nature enthusiast, educator, and
the Studios Summer Camp + After-School teacher. Meet us at the Isham +
Seaman entrance of the park. (First 30 to arrive will receive a free
Studios beach bag!) *Saturday, Agusut 2nd; tours leaving at 10am & 11am. *

*RCTA Sunset Concerts *featuring Side B (1960s rock & roll). Bring your
picnic basket and blanket and join the Riverside Clay Tennis Association
for this very popular music series. On the tennis courts in Riverside Park
(Hudson River @ W. 97th St.) In the event of inclement weather, call the
hotline, 212-978-0277, to see whether a concert has been postponed. Rain
date is typically the next day at 7pm. Info:
http://www.rcta.info/rcta-concert-calendar.cfm. *Saturday, August 2nd at
7pm (‘til around 9pm). *(Series runs through August 16th.)

*Nature Discovery for Kids: Firefly Pajama Party *
<http://forttryonparktrust.org/events/events_calendar.php?qs=2014/08/02/nature-adventure-for-kids-firefly-pajama-party>Join
educator and local mom, Julia Attaway, to catch the last fireflies of the
season. During this hands-on program, kids will have a chance to learn
about fireflies in a playful atmosphere. Come in your pajamas and chase
fireflies throughout the park. Designed for children 4 to 8, so bring the
whole family. Children must be accompanied by an adult. At the Jacob Javits
Playground (Ft. Washington Ave. at Margaret Corbin Circle.)

*Saturday, August 2nd, 7:30p.m.-8:15p.m.  *

*Moose Hall Theater Company / Inwood Shakespeare Festival *presents
*Rhinoceros* by Eugene Ionesco. On the Inwood Hill Park Peninsula;
entrances at W. 218th St. / Indian Road and at Isham St. / Seaman Ave.
FREE! Info: http://www.moosehallisf.org/homepage.htm. *Wednesdays –
Saturdays, July 23rd – August 2nd, at 7:30pm.*

*Romeo & Juliet at Riverbank State Park* W. 145th Street @ Riverside Drive.
Rain or shine: if we’re not outside, we’re in the theatre. *Wednesdays-Sundays
through August 17th at 8pm.*

*Howard Better: Refracted Light *in Bruce’s Garden (Isham Park, between
Park Terrace East & West, near W. 215th St.). FREE! *Saturday, August 2nd
at 8pm.*

*SUNDAY (12 items)*

*Free Kayaking with the Inwood Canoe Club* The Inwood Canoe Club invites
members of the public who can swim to join us for a guided, 20-25 minute
kayak tour of the Hudson River just north of the George Washington Bridge.
No prior experience is needed, and all equipment is provided. For more
information, visit www.inwoodcanoenyc.org. *Every Sunday through Labor Day
weekend, 10am – noon*; arrive between 9:30am and 11:15am to ensure you get
a spot.

*Foraging in Inwood Hill Park *'Wildman' Steve Brill will be leading a
foraging tour of Inwood Park. These hands-on programs teach about the
environment and help you get back in touch with Nature. One neighbor
writes, “My girlfriend and I have gone on several of his tours. He's an
interesting character, and we've learned a lot on his short tours, and had
a lot of fun too!” Here's a link for more info:
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/. Call 914-835-2153 at least 24 hours in
advance to reserve a place. Meet at the Anne Loftus Playground (Dyckman /
Riverside / Broadway). The tour lasts approximately 4 hours. *Sunday,
August 3rd, beginning at 11:45am.*

*Sixth Annual Stan Michels Jazz Concert *
<http://forttryonparktrust.org/events/events_calendar.php?qs=2014/08/03/6th-annual-stan-michels-memorial-concert>Stan
Michels represented Northern Manhattan in the city council for 24 years in
a multitude of roles, including the allocation of 50 million dollars for
the improvement of parks in Washington Heights, Inwood, and Harlem. Known
for their Sunday Parlor Jazz sessions in Harlem, Marjorie Eliot and her
ensemble will perform. Join the Fort Tryon Park Trust, NYC Parks, and the
Michels Family for jazz under the American Elms, as we celebrate the late
Stan Michels. On the Stan Michels Promenade in Fort Tryon Park. (Enter
through the Heather Garden, at Margaret Corbin Circle on Ft. Washington
Ave., just north of W. 190th St.)* Sunday, August 3rd, 1pm – 3pm. *

*Garden Walking Tour in Fort Tryon Park *
<http://forttryonparktrust.org/events/events_calendar.php?qs=2014/08/03/garden-walking-tour-in-fort-tryon-park>Take
a tour of the "Park for All Seasons." Take a walking tour of the Heather
and Alpine Gardens of Fort Tryon Park. Learn about the gardens' history,
future, and secrets from a member of Fort Tryon's expert horticulture
staff. In the Heather Garden in Fort Tryon Park.

* Sunday, August 3rd, 1pm-2pm. *

*REACT to FILM Fundraiser *REACT to FILM is a nonprofit organization that
uses documentaries to help people become socially aware and take action,
with the particular hope of inspiring young people to engage in the real
issues of today. This fundraiser will support the future WHEELS (Washington
Heights Expeditionary Learning School) REACT to FILM club, which will allow
more students to explore social issues and take a stand. There will be live
music and more, and a $1 bake sale—cupcakes, cake, pies, and more!
Suggested donation is $5, and all are invited! At Word Up Community
Bookshop, Amsterdam Ave. @ W. 165th St. *Sunday, August 3rd, 1:30–2:30pm.*

*Moliere's "The Miser" *Performed by the UP Theater Company, in Bruce’s
Garden (Isham Park, between Park Terrace East & West, near W. 215th St.).
FREE! Reception To Follow. *Sunday, August 3rd, 5pm-7pm.*

*Remembering Sacco & Vanzetti with Artwork by Marc Shanker* The exhibit
consists of selections from seven years of prison letters written while the
Italian anarchists. On view until September 1st at Word Up Community
Bookshop, 2113 Amsterdam Ave. @ 165th St. There will be a discussion of the
historical period surrounding the case, led by Prof George Stevens & Mr.
Shanker, and a dramatic reading on *Sunday, August 24th at 3pm. Exhibit
opens Sunday, August 3rd at 3pm*.

*Summer Intensive Showcase *An evening of songs, contemporary and classical
monologues and scenes, dance numbers, stage combat, and more! Presented by
the Pied Piper Children’s Theatre at the Theatre Space at Holy Trinity
Church Inwood 20 Cumming Street (one block north of Dyckman). Admission:
$12 for Adults, $10 for children <16 & seniors 62+. Advanced Ticket Sales
Available For Purchase Online with Credit or Debit Card at:
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/781370, or at the door beginning 45
minutes prior to performance (cash/check only; subject to availability). All
seating is GENERAL SEATING; doors open approximately 15 minutes prior to
curtain. *Sunday, August 3rd at 4pm*

*Gaga pa’l Pueblo* traditional Dominican art including music, singing,
dancing, visual and culinary art. Anne Loftus Playground, Intersection of
Dyckman St. & Broadway. For more info: http://vimeo.com/56492294.* Sundays
through September 21st, 3-7pm*.

*Tribute Concert to Pete “El Conde” Rodriguez *Featuring The Cita Rodriguez
Orchestra with special guests Pete Rodriguez, Johnny Pacheco, Tito Allen,
Willie Torres, Eddie Montalvo, Karen Joseph, Ray Martinez and the Alma
Moyo Drummers. Presented in association with Lincoln Center Out of Doors.
At Damrosch Park Bandshell (Amsterdam Ave. & W. 62nd St.). Free! *Sunday,
August 3rd at 7pm.*

*Moose Hall Theater Company / Inwood Shakespeare Festival *presents
*Rhinoceros* by Eugene Ionesco. On the Inwood Hill Park Peninsula;
entrances at W. 218th St. / Indian Road and at Isham St. / Seaman Ave.
FREE! Info: http://www.moosehallisf.org/homepage.htm. *Wednesdays –
Saturdays, July 23rd – August 2nd, at 7:30pm.*

*Romeo & Juliet at Riverbank State Park* W. 145th Street @ Riverside Drive.
Rain or shine: if we’re not outside, we’re in the theatre. *Wednesdays-Sundays
through August 17th at 8pm.*

****NEXT WEEK*** (12 items)*

*Movie Monday* Tired of the heat? Come to the St. Agnes Branch Library and
watch some of our favorite movies this summer. The movies will begin at 3pm
and you will still have enough time to check out your summer reading books.
August 4: Mary Poppins (139 min., G); August 11: Rio (96 min., G); August
18 & 25 – TBA. At the St. Agnes Branch Library, 444 Amsterdam Ave. @ W.
81st St.; 212-621-0619. *Mondays at 3pm.*

*Hey knitters (or crocheters),* come to the library on Tuesday mornings and
join our new knitting circle! A great way to meet your neighbors! At the
Inwood Branch Public Library, 4790 Broadway. *Every Tuesday at 11:30am.*

*Cool Flicks: *Kids and families come chill out and watch great movies this
summer.  Join us every Tuesday in the basement Community Room for a great
family friendly flick. At the Washington Heights Branch Library, 1000 St.
Nicholas Ave. (@ W. 162nd St.); info: 212-923-6054. Free! *Tuesdays at 2pm.*

*The 20th Annual Interfaith Peace Gathering Commemoration.* Ceremony of
Hiroshima and Nagasaki Atomic Bombings. Messages from the Mayor of
Hiroshima and mayor of Nagasaki. Music performances and keynote speeches.
Date: At the West Park Presbyterian Church, 165 W. 86th St. at Amsterdam
Ave. *Tuesday, August 5th,  5:30pm - 9:30pm. *

 *National Night Out Against Crime *Join your local Precinct for an
entertaining and informative event for the entire family. Meet with various
community leaders and organizations. Learn about the variety of public
safety and other resources that are available in your community. Many
events also have free food, games, music and live entertainment.

   -

   34th Precinct: Raoul Wallenberg Playground (Amsterdam @ W. 189th St.),
   3pm – 7pm
   -

   33rd Precinct: Highbridge Park (Amsterdam @ W. 172nd St.), 2pm – 7pm
   -

   30th Precinct: W. 137th Street btw. Broadway & Riverside Drive,
   beginning at 3pm
   -

   26th Precinct: Morningside Ave. from W. 125th – W. 127th Streets, 5pm
   –9pm
   -

   24th Precinct: Happy Warrior Playground (Amsterdam Ave. btw. W. 98th &
   W. 99th Streets), 6:30pm – 9pm
   -

   20th Precinct: Verdi Square (Broadway btw. W. 72nd & W. 73rd Streets),
   5pm – 8pm
   -

   Midtown North: Hell’s Kitchen Park (Tenth Ave. btw. W. 48th & W. 49th
   Streets)
   -

   10th Precinct: W. 17th St. btw. Ninth & Tenth Aves., 5pm – 8pm

*Outdoor Movies at Swindler Cove *New York Restoration Project is pleased
to announce that free summer movies are back! Bring a picnic and blanket,
and enjoy an evening under the stars. Complimentary hot popcorn will be
served. For more information, call 212-333-2552 or email ddoroski at nyrp.org.
Tonight’s feature is *Big* (PG, 104 min). *Tuesday, August 5**th; movie
begins at sunset (between 8 and 9pm).*

*Delving Into Highbridge Park's Past *Sidney Horenstein is back to show us
the history, the rock exposures, and the trees within Highbridge Park that
allows it to flourish. Join us for this walk as Sidney Horenstein reveals
the historical significance of Highbridge Park. W. 155th Street
and Edgecomb Avenue.
<http://forttryonparktrust.org/events/events_calendar.php?qs=2014/08/06/delving-into-highbridge-parks-past-with-sidney-horenstein1>

*Wednesday, August 6th, 6pm - 8pm. *

*Romeo & Juliet at Riverbank State Park* W. 145th Street @ Riverside Drive.
Rain or shine: if we’re not outside, we’re in the theatre. *Wednesdays-Sundays
through August 17th at 8pm.*

*Aging & the Mind: Brain Health Through the Golden Years *An NYC Economic
Development Day Harlem Week Health Conference . Featuring presentations by
Dr. Jennifer Manly, Columbia University’s Taub Institute for Research on
Alzheimer’s Disease and the Aging Brain, and Dr. Ursula Staudinger, CU
Mailman School of Public Health. At Alfred Lerner Hall, 5th floor Satow
Conference Room, 2920 Broadway @ W. 115th St. Free. *Thursday, August 7th,
9:30am – 11:30am.*

*District 7 Summer Fair with Councilmember Mark Levine* Meet with a diverse
collection of city agencies and fantastic community organizations who will
have tables set up out on the street. We will also have music, food for
kids, activities and other fun planned as part of the evening.  If you want
to learn more about health, culture, immigration, employment, housing and
other resources available in your neighborhood, you won’t want to miss out
on this! 141st Street between Hamilton Place and Amsterdam Avenue. *Thursday,
August 7th, 5pm – 8pm.*

*Hudson Warehouse/Riverside Park plays *Free performances of William
Shakespeare’s *The Winter’s Tale. *On the North Patio of the Soldiers’ &
Sailors’ Monument, Riverside Park, W. 89th St. & Riverside Drive. Note:
While these productions are free, your contributions when the hat is passed
at the end are vital to keeping the company going:
http://hudsonwarehouse.net/season.htm. *Thursdays – Sundays, **July 31st -
August 24th, at 6:30.*

*Peace Concert "Global Harmony" by Shinji Harada. *Recording Artist,
Hiroshima Peace Culture Ambassador. Live Cast Peace Program from Nagasaki.
For more information, contact Rev. Dr. T. Kenjitsu Nakagaki at 646-797-7982
or tknakagaki at gmail.com.  Location: West Park Presbyterian Church, 165 W. 86
th St. at Amsterdam Ave. *Friday, August 8th,  6pm - 10:30pm*.

****NEXT WEEKEND*** (8 items)*

*Get Up and Go! Family Adventure Race *Sign up for an exciting parent-child
race, which incorporates basic exercises and sporting skills wrapped up in
a one-hour dose of fun for all. Upon completion, all finishers receive
medals, with special awards given to the top finishers in age groups 8-10
and 11-13. Indian Road/ W 218 St Entrance to Inwood Hill Park Entries are
limited, so click here now to register:
http://www.cityparksfoundation.org/sports/kids-fitness/. *Saturday, August
9th.*

*Highbridge Nature Exploration with Mike Feller *Come on a morning nature
walk through Highbridge Park, an ideal spot to see many species of animals,
insects, and birds. Join expert naturalist Mike Feller for an exploration
of the flora and fauna along the Highbridge Park sections of the Old Croton
Aqueduct Trail. Meet at Southern Corner of Dyckman St and Nagle Ave in
Highbridge Park. *Saturday, August 9th, 9am - 10am.*

<http://forttryonparktrust.org/events/events_calendar.php?qs=2014/08/09/nature-exploration-with-mike-feller>

*Dance Theater of Harlem*. Annual Street Festival with free performances.
W. 152nd St. btw. Amsterdam & St. Nicholas Ave. For more information, visit
http://www.dancetheatreofharlem.org/. *Saturday, August 9th, noon-7pm*.

*Weekend Poetry Slam *Hosted by Symphoni Sobers, featuring original poetry
and song. In Bruce’s Garden (Isham Park, between Park Terrace East & West,
near W. 215th St.). *Saturday – Monday, August 9th, 10th & 11th , time TBA.*

*NoMAA Atelier* *Rhetoric vs. Reality*. Conversation, 4pm with NoMAA
artists: Adalky Capellan, Marcie Revens, Arleen Santana, Mariel Santana &
Reynaldo Vargas who will talk & present individual projects done during
their residency. Sugar Hill, 155th St. & St. Nicholas Ave. Part of If You
Build It exhibit by No Longer Empty & Broadway Housing Communities. *Saturday,
August 9th, 3pm - 6pm*.

*Northern Manhattan Neighbors for Peace & Justice* will be screening the
film, “My Brooklyn,” a documentary about Director Kelly Anderson’s personal
journey, as a Brooklyn “gentrifier,” to understand the forces reshaping her
neighborhood along lines of race and class. Link to the trailer here:
http://www.mybrooklynmovie.com/?page_id=4. At the Holyrood Church, Ft.
Washington Ave. & W. 179th St. *Sunday, August 10th at 6:30pm.*

*RCTA Sunset Concerts *featuring Dave Glasser (jazz). Bring your picnic
basket and blanket and join the Riverside Clay Tennis Association for this
very popular music series. On the tennis courts in Riverside Park (Hudson
River @ W. 97th St.) In the event of inclement weather, call the hotline,
212-978-0277, to see whether a concert has been postponed. Rain date is
typically the next day at 7pm. Info:
http://www.rcta.info/rcta-concert-calendar.cfm. *Saturday, August 9th at
7pm (‘til around 9pm).* (Series runs through August 16th.)

*Dominican Parade Breakfast *Please save the date for the annual Northern
Manhattan Democrats for Change Dominican Parade Breakfast. Join Sen.
Espaillat, Councilmember Ydanis Rodriguez, the UFT, NYSUT, 32BJ and
1199/SEIU at District 12 Restaurant, 4892 Broadway (btw. W. 204th & W. 207th
Streets.). RSVP to eventsRSVP at adrianoespaillat.org. *Sunday, August 10th,
8am to 10am.*

****LOOKING AHEAD / SAVE THE DATE*** (10 items)*

*Movie Monday* Tired of the heat? Come to the St. Agnes Branch Library and
watch some of our favorite movies this summer. The movies will begin at 3pm and
you will still have enough time to check out your summer reading books.
August 11: Rio (96 min., G); August 18 & 25 – TBA. At the St. Agnes Branch
Library, 444 Amsterdam Ave. @ W. 81st St.; 212-621-0619. *Mondays at 3pm.*

*Cool Flicks *Kids and families come chill out and watch great movies this
summer.  Join us every Tuesday in the Community Room in the basement for a
great family friendly flick. At the Washington Heights Branch Library, 1000
St. Nicholas Ave. (@ W. 162nd St.); info: 212-923-6054. Free! *Tuesdays at
2pm.*

*Romeo & Juliet at Riverbank State Park* W. 145th Street @ Riverside Drive.
Rain or shine: if we’re not outside, we’re in the theatre. *Wednesdays-Sundays
through August 17th at 8pm.*

*10th Annual Dominican Festival of Manhattan Valley & Health Fair *Complete
medical screenings of blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, vision, and
dental. Music bands, folkloric dance, face painting, clowns, voter
registration, citizenship classes, ESL, GED, computer training and Spanish
classes. W. 107th St. btw. Amsterdam & Columbus. Free! For more
information, call 212-749-0781 or 718-663-9546. *Saturday, August 16th,
10am - 6pm.*

*RCTA Sunset Concerts *featuring Sabor Brasil (samba) and Gilad Bloom Band
(rock/blues). Bring your picnic basket and blanket and join the Riverside
Clay Tennis Association for this very popular music series. On the tennis
courts in Riverside Park (Hudson River @ W. 97th St.) In the event of
inclement weather, call the hotline, 212-978-0277, to see whether a concert
has been postponed. Rain date is typically the next day at 7pm. Info:
http://www.rcta.info/rcta-concert-calendar.cfm. *Saturdays, August 16th &
23rd at 7pm (‘til around 9pm).*

*Hudson Warehouse/Riverside Park plays *Free performances of William
Shakespeare’s *The Winter’s Tale. *On the North Patio of the Soldiers’ &
Sailors’ Monument, Riverside Park, W. 89th St. & Riverside Drive. Note:
While these productions are free, your contributions when the hat is passed
at the end are vital to keeping the company going:
http://hudsonwarehouse.net/season.htm. *Thursdays – Sundays through **August
24th at 6:30.*

*Shorakapok Summer Celebration* Details to follow. In Bruce’s Garden (Isham
Park, between Park Terrace East & West, near W. 215th St.). *Saturday,
August 16th, noon – 6pm*

*The Union Offensive of 1864 *The National Park Service presents a FREE
program detailing the Union offensive of 1864 – including Grant’s Overland
Campaign, Sherman’s March to the Sea, and Sheridan’s Valley Campaign –

which helped to secure victory for the North. At the NPS Visitors’ Center
at Grants’ Tomb, on Riverside Drive at W. 122nd St. Free! Call 212-666-1640
for more information. *Saturday, August 16th at 2pm. *

*Summer on the Hudson: West Coast Swing Outdoors *West coast swing, a
partner dance fusing elements of slow lindy hop, salsa, and booty-shakin’,
can be danced to R&B, pop, rock, hip hop, and blues. At W. 125th & Marginal
Streets, West Harlem Piers Park. For more information, visit
www.nyc.gov/parks/soh. *Saturday, August 30th & September 20th, 6pm-9pm;
lesson at 7pm.*

*The NYPD Citizen’s Police Academy *course shares training and tactics used
by the NYPD as well as helps to foster a working relationship with the
NYPD. This is a 14-week training at the Police Academy, located at 235 E. 20
th St. (btw 2nd & 3rd Aves.) The curriculum will include penal law and
patrol guide procedures, stop/question/frisk, firearms simulation training,
CCRB, counterterrorism, and hands-on training. All applicants will be
screened; if selected, you register on the first day of class. If you are
selected for training, please wear business casual; no jeans or sneakers.
The course is limited, so residents of the 34th Precinct please submit your
application to the precinct. For more information, contact Det. Pabey or
P/O Perez at 212-927-0576 / 212-927-0287 or email pct034ca at nypd.org. (If
you live outside of the 34th Pct., contact your precinct’s Community
Afffairs Office.) *Class begins September 10th, and meets Tuesdays at 6pm. *

****EDUCATIONAL & VOCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES *** (4 items)*

*Second Annual Michael Perelstein Memorial Scholarship Fund: *a $20,000
Scholarship fund created to support New York City school children (grades
2-8) to pursue their unique passions and talents. Michael Perelstein was a
devoted dad who watched his children pursue their passions in
nontraditional fields while simultaneously achieving financial security.
Observing the paths of his kids, he realized the importance of nurturing
passion and talent and even switched careers himself to support his own
interests. Perelstein passed away at age 56; the scholarship fund
established in his honor by his wife, Elizabeth Perelstein, is built around
the concept of supporting the passions and talents of children. The
Discover Your Passion Competition will award the grand prize winner $5,000
toward his or her pursuit; three second place winners will receive $3,500,
and three third place winners will receive $1,500, for a total of $20,000.
Finalists will be selected from each of two age categories: 2nd - 5th grade;
6th -8th grade. The scholarship winners will be announced and awarded their
prizes in October in New York City. For complete information about the
scholarship and to apply see schoolchoicegroup.com. To read about the 2013
scholarship winners, visit
http://findingschools.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2014-01-02T11:13:00-05:00&max-results=3.
*Application deadline is September 8th;* for more info, go to
http://www.schoolsearchsolutions.com/discoveryourpassion/.

*High School Directories Notice* Students applying to a NYC public high
school for the 2015-2016 school year can access the *2014-2015 High School
Directory*. Visit
http://schools.nyc.gov/ChoicesEnrollment/High/Resources/default.htm for
complete information and the English directory. You can also find the
directory online in 9 languages: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian
Creole, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Urdu; click on “Translations” in the
pull down menu at the right of the screen.

Questions regarding the *2014-2015 High School Directory* may be directed
to the High School Admissions Team at HS_Enrollment at schools.nyc.gov.

*Calling all education students!* Apply for a special academic year-long
internship in a prestigious and innovative school in San Francisco de
Macorís, Dominican Republic. The school is seeking interns to serve as
elementary teaching assistancs for the 2014-15 academic year. The placement
is for a full academic year, and includes housing and a stipend provided by
the school. To apply for this and other positions, please fill out the
InteRDom Applicatino Form and include your resumé and cover letter. For