[BwayDems] Fwd: Rally/March to Hold Cuomo Accountable and Save Public Education Tomorrow...

LizSostre at aol.com LizSostre at aol.com
Wed Apr 9 19:18:08 EDT 2014

THIS IS A REMINDER TO ATTEND THIS VERY IMPORTANT RALLY ON BEHALF OF ALL
THE PUBLIC SCHOOL CHILDREN IN THE CITY AND THEIR RIGHT TO A QUALITY EDUCATION.

Dear Public Education Supporter:

The CEC/Citywide Working Group is a coalition of elected District and
Citywide Education Councils across New York City. In an unprecedented show of
unity and action we - along with numerous other public school parent and
pro public education groups including the Alliance for Quality Education
(AQE), New York Lawyers for the Public Interest, NAACP, New York Communities
for Change (NYCC), Change the Stakes, NYCPublic, ParentVoicesNY, the
Partnership for Student Advocacy, Class Size Matters, and many others - will be
convening a rally on the steps of the New York Public Library on 5th Avenue
and 41st Street at 4:00PM this Thursday, April 10th. We will then march to
Governor Cuomo's office, 633 Third Ave at 40th Street. (See attachments.
This is the corrected time and location)

The rally and march have been called in the face of provisions in last week
’s budget which promote the pitting of parents against parents and the
willful destruction of public education in New York City by Governor Cuomo and
the New York State Senate, all at the direction of the hedge fund-run
charter school lobby.

Specifically, Governor Cuomo and the State Senate-led budget provide for
the following:

- The de Blasio administration MUST offer space to EVERY charter
school rubber-stamped in the final weeks of the Bloomberg administration.
Mayor de Blasio previously approved 14 of 17 charters; now he MUST move
forward with all 17 – regardless of the fact that autistic and severely
emotionally disturbed children will be moved out of their own buildings, or
public high schools must step aside to make room for elementary charters.

- EVERY charter now located in public school buildings MUST be
allowed to EXPAND as much as the charter wishes. If public school class sizes
and building enrollment increase to unsustainable levels, too bad. If it
means giving control of entire buildings to charters by pushing out all
public school students, so be it.

- ALL new charter schools requesting NYC public school space – and
there will be dozens and potentially hundreds more - MUST be provided it
or must pay for private space for the charters. No rent can be charged in
public or private spaces. Public schools have no such rights.

- The Mayor, the City Council, the CEC’s and the Community are
effectively removed from space decisions, giving the charter lobby more say over
our public school buildings (and capital budget) than any of our elected
officials.

- Per pupil funding will be increased to ALL charter schools
despite the millions they receive from Wall Street and the fact that collocated
charters already receive thousands of dollars more per pupil than our
public schools. Meanwhile the State refused to fund the court ordered CFE
decision whereby billions are owed to New York City schools. Instead the budget
provides tax cuts to millionaires.

For the first time, parent leaders across the City have united to make our
collective voice heard. We seek to ensure that the 94% of New York City
students in public schools are treated fairly and equally to the 6% in
charters. We ask that you mobilize your parents, your students, your elected
officials, your teachers and community members to attend this historic rally.
Attached is a flyer with information, and multiple ways of reaching rally
organizers, as well as some points of interest about our cause. Please
contact us with any questions or information at _SaveNYCSchools at gmail.com_
(mailto:SaveNYCSchools at gmail.com) as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance for your support of public education and all our
children. We know you are bombarded with many invitations, but this rally
will prove to our legislators that we stand as one.

The CEC/Citywide Council Working Group

email: _SaveNYCSchools at gmail.com_ (mailto:SaveNYCSchools at gmail.com)

Like us on FaceBook: http: _www.facebook.com/www.facebook.com/<WBR>_
(http://www.facebook.com/SaveNYCPublicEducation)

noah eliot gotbaum

community education council district 3 (cec3)

_noah at gotbaum.com_ (mailto:noah at gotbaum.com)

twitter: @noahegotbaum