[BwayDems] Vote for Letitia “Tish” James for Public Advocate in the Runoff Tomorrow (October 1st.)

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Mon Sep 30 22:12:29 EDT 2013

Dear Broadway Democrats,

We are writing to urge you to vote for
Letitia “Tish” James for Public Advocate in the Run-off election this Tuesday,
October 1st.  Even though Tish was the front
runner on primary night in the election for Public Advocate, because of a
crowded field she didn't get 40% of the vote. So now we need to get back to our
polling sites and vote for her again on October 1st and encourage our neighbors
to do the same.  Letitia “Tish” James has been a true
public servant and an advocate throughout her career.

The job of the Public
Advocate is exactly what it sounds like.  The Public Advocate speaks for all New Yorkers, working to provide us
with a voice in shaping the policies of our government, guaranteeing that we
receive the City services we deserve, and making our government more
accountable.  In every one of
her career choices, Letitia
“Tish” Jameshas sought opportunities to give voice
to those who struggle to be heard.
* As a public defender for the Legal Aid Society, representing young individuals whose families couldn’t afford a lawyer.
* As a Counsel and Chief of Staff for the State Legislature, negotiating legislation on childcare, health care, and the protection of transit workers.
* As an Assistant Attorney General for New York State, resolving consumer complaints, probing predatory lenders, cracking down on firms engaged in deceptive business practices, and investigating the NYPD’s stop-and-frisk policy.
* As a City Council member, advocating for women’s rights and civil rights, working to pass legislation reforming the NYPD’s stop-and-frisk policy, cracking down on deceptive “limited care” health centers that denied women the right to choose, and battling for families by opposing the closing of daycare centers and working to help tenants get prompt repairs for their apartments.
In every
one of her decisions as a City Council member, Letitia
“Tish” Jameshas been fearless and tireless
advocating for those in need of an advocate.

As Public
Advocate, Tish will be an effective, articulate, and persuasive voicefor those with no
voice in government and for those losing their voice
who are being driven from the city.  Tish will advocate for fair wages and
benefits for workers and local communities.  Tish will advocate for Minority and
Women Owned Businesses (MWBE’s). Tish will
advocate for tenants and others in need of legal help. Letitia “Tish” James will advocate for all of us!

See you at the polls this
Tuesday, October 1st!  Join us at the playground on the downtown side of 109th Street, between Broadway and Amsterdam.  We'll be there for most of the day (except for a break in the middle).
Curtis Arluck     Paula Diamond Román
917-757-6058