[BwayDems] Daniel Squadron for Public Advocate

Daniel Squadron daniel at squadronfornewyork.com
Thu May 9 17:57:55 EDT 2013

Dear Broadway Democrat: It has been a pleasure getting to know you and the entire membership of the Broadway Democrats. Your forum and event were dynamic and I enjoyed engaging with many of you. I hope that based on my record and our conversations, you will consider supporting my campaign for Public Advocate. I would be honored to earn your endorsement tonight and your vote in September. I’ve spent my life in public service, inspired by my family. My paternal grandfather came through Ellis Island and was raised on the Lower East Side; my father, Howard Squadron, rose from poverty to become the Chairman of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations. My mother worked for the ACLU. I have tried to travel in their footsteps. Elected to the State Senate in a grassroots campaign for change in 2008, I’ve gotten results as a progressive reformer, including by:Helping to lead the campaign to ban hydrofracking in our state and earning the highest environmental rating in the New York State Senate;Writing the law that made it harder for landlords to jack up rents in rent-regulated apartments;Negotiating an end to the City’s outrageous policy of charging rent to homeless families in shelters;Making the public school admissions process more parent-friendly for families in my district;Authoring and passing ethics reform legislation, and leading the fight for state campaign finance reform; andWorking with the MTA to institute new “full-line reviews” that have improved frequency, reliability and cleanliness on three subway lines.Based on these achievements, I'm proud to have earned the endorsement of former Public Advocates Mark Green and Betsy Gotbaum, Assemblymembers Deborah Glick, Brian Kavanagh, Micah Kellner, Joan Millman, Dan Quart, and Nily Rozic and State Senators Joseph Addabbo, Martin Malave Dilan, Michael Gianaris, Brad Hoylman, Gustavo Rivera, and Jose M. Serrano.As Public Advocate, I will focus on making our city government work better for all New Yorkers. For New York to work, its government must work -- from the fundamentals of public education, public protection, public transit, and open space that keeps our city livable, to the innovation that will keep us moving forward for the next generation. As Public Advocate, I will continue my record of delivering results that improve life for everyday New Yorkers and continue to build a city that we can all be proud to call home. I hope you will consider supporting my campaign. Sincerely, Daniel Squadron