[BwayDems] John Liu For Mayor 2013

Matt Bitz matthewrbitz at gmail.com
Tue May 7 17:19:24 EDT 2013

Dear Broadway Democrats,

Thank you for your time and attention at the Broadway Democrats Mayoral
Forum. The Broadway Democrats have been at the forefront of so many issues
critical to New York’s future and at the core of Democratic ideals. I
would be honored to have your support for Mayor when you vote on May 9th.

We know that when you go after powerful people and rich corporations,
they’re going to come after you. They have certainly made my life
difficult. But let me be clear – we are not backing down. I have done no
wrong. I will continue to stand by the positions that distinguish me from
the others in this race.

1. As Mayor I will end “Stop and Frisk”. Last year, stops
approached half a million. Eighty-nine percent of the people were innocent.
This program cannot be “improved” or “done right” as some of my opponents
suggest. I will end it.

2. I will appoint a Police Commissioner who is more
respectful of civil rights and civil liberties.

3. I will advocate for a City minimum wage of $11.50 an
hour. This is not an arbitrary number, it is the amount needed to raise a
family of four to just above the poverty line. I believe that someone who
works forty hours a week should not live in poverty.

4. I will change the City’s policy toward charter
schools. While I believe it can be useful for local community organizations
to sponsor charter schools, I am not for the unlimited expansion of charter
school chains, I do not believe in for-profit charters and I will put a
halt to co-location.

As Comptroller, my office has produced more than $3 billion in cost
savings. As the City’s fiscal watchdog, I have aggressively rooted out
waste, fraud and abuse from the City’s coffers, especially spending on
outside consultants. My audit of the Office of Payroll Administration led t
o recapturing half a billion dollars from Bloomberg’s infamous
technological fiasco, the City Time Project, an attempt to track every City
employee. I have identified even more opportunities to recoup money from
other mismanaged and over-budgeted projects such as the 911 Call Center.

As mayor, I’ll do what I've always done—as a Councilmember and as
Comptroller—stand up to every powerful person or entrenched interest who’s
standing in the way of what’s right. I will be a mayor not of the one per
cent—but of the one hundred per cent. My vision for New York City’s future
is deeply rooted in what I consider the greatest privilege – engaging in
public service. I share your passion and commitment for a more inclusive,
innovative and efficient City government.

My family emigrated from Taiwan when I was five years old, looking for the
same thing countless families have: opportunity. Because that’s the
sacred promise New York City made with us. Come here. Work hard. Dream
big. And then work even harder. If you do all that, you have the
opportunity to make good. But, Mayor Bloomberg and his enablers have made
life harder for seniors, working mothers, immigrant breadwinners,
struggling teachers and students, while making it easier for the wealthiest
New Yorkers to leave the rest of us behind. This is not the New York I
want to represent. With your help, I’ll be a mayor who fights not only for
every borough—but for every block in every neighborhood.

Together, we will:

· Make sure that the promised benefits to the public – such as
jobs, housing and parks – are actually delivered.

· Restore the learning environment in NYC public schools; stop
operating NYC schools as a business division of the Department of
Education; and halt school closings.

· Build fair and affordable housing for all and establish housing
policies that protect rent stabilization and rent assistance.

· Restructure NYCHA management and preserve and expand public
housing.

· Reform our tax code, close corporate loopholes and finally have
tax relief for working families.

· Enact my Green and Sustainability program that promotes the use
of renewable energy sources in housing and beyond.

· Institute land use policies with the input of empowered
communities that preserve the context and character of our City's
neighborhoods.

· Establish a homeless policy that is both compassionate and able
to move people from temporary to permanent housing.

Seeing our vision for New York City realized over the next four years
starts with your endorsement vote on May 9. Together we can do great
things for our beloved New York City and bring the much needed change. I
sincerely hope I can count on your support for Mayor of New York City.

Sincerely,

[image: Inline image 1]

John C. Liu

PS: If you have further questions, please call Chung Seto at my campaign
office at 646-490-9818.