[BwayDems] Christine C Quinn for Mayor

Scott Melvin scottmelvin at quinnfornewyork.com
Tue May 7 14:30:08 EDT 2013

Dear Broadway Democrats’ Member:

I am running to become the Mayor of the City of New York, and am writing to
ask for the Broadway Democrats’ endorsement.

As a community organizer, anti-violence advocate and now as the leader of
the City Council, I have created thousands of new jobs, balanced the budget
while protecting vital services, cracked down on bad landlords, protected
the middle class, increased access to health care, improved early childhood
education, and helped keep our streets safe while fighting for one system
of justice in all communities.

I first came to New York City to become a community organizer and run the
Housing Justice Campaign. In 1991, I managed the campaign of Tom Duane and
then served as his Chief of Staff in the City Council. I then became the
Executive Director of the New York City Gay and Lesbian Anti-Violence
Project where I worked closely with local communities and the New York City
Police Department to reduce hate crimes. Since 1999, I have proudly served
as the City Council Member for the 3rd Councilmanic District which includes
Chelsea. And in 2006 I was elected by my colleagues as Speaker, which made
me the highest-ranking woman and highest-ranking openly gay elected
official in the City’s history.

Some of my accomplishments that I hope to build on as Mayor include:

● Passed seven on-time, balanced budgets that protected critical social
services, firehouses and libraries.

● Stopped 4,000 teachers from being laid-off and fought against
overcrowding and for greater parental involvement in our schools.

● Created thousands of new jobs, helping diversify the City’s
economy and reduce our dependence on Wall Street.

● Wrote the law banning smoking in bars and the workplace.

● Passed the Climate Protection Act, requiring the City to reduce
greenhouse emissions 30% citywide by 2030.

● Cracked down on bad landlords and built thousands of new units of
affordable housing for the middle class.

● Passed the Tenant Protection Act that gives tenants the power to sue
their landlords for a pattern of harassment.

● Helped keep our neighborhoods safe by putting more cops on the
street, adding funding for more bulletproof vests for every officer while
also working to improve police-community relations.

● Reformed the City Council by making it more transparent, tightening
lobbying restrictions and passing one of the toughest campaign finance laws
in the country.

I am incredibly proud of my tenure in the City Council and would like to
continue to serve the City of New York in a progressive and effective way.
I would sincerely appreciate your support in my run for Mayor. I hope you
can come and vote for me at the Club’s endorsement meeting on Thursday, May
9th at the Bank Street College, 610 West 112th Street at 8pm.

If you would like additional information about my campaign, please visit my
website at: www.quinnfornewyork.com Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Christine C. Quinn