[BwayDems] Fix the Future

Debra Cooper debra at debracooper2013.com
Tue May 7 14:29:57 EDT 2013

Dear Broadway Democrat,

As a volunteer, Democratic Club President and elected State Committee
member, we have fought together for human rights, basic justice, equality
and fairness. We have worked together to stop the West Side Stadium,
misguided hyper-development projects and to ban fracking. Now as a
candidate for the open City Council seat on the Upper West Side, I ask for
your help, support and vote at the Broadway Democratic Club.

*The Upper West Side has been on the frontline of every major civil rights
and progressive reform movement of the past century. We’re accustomed to
leading — our city, state, nation and even world. With your support, I’ll
work tirelessly to continue that tradition of progressive advocacy as well
as preserving the livability and affordability of our neighborhood.*

We need to see the West Side and our City once again as a place where the
middle class can prosper, where newcomers can rise up, where our schools
educate all children and our infrastructure is solid and
functioning. These are dangerous times for democracy. The unequal
distribution of economic and political power has accelerated. We need to
work hard to reverse the inequality. We need to return to that era which
kept reaching for the common good.

*The child of Holocaust survivors, I raised my family on West End Avenue.* I
served on the board of the Stephen Wise Free Synagogue and as president of
my co-op board. I’ve been an active Board Member of NARAL ProChoiceNY for
more than 20 years and fought for women’s rights, reproductive freedom and
healthcare, including working on the landmark New York City and State
Clinic Access bills.

*With the support of Jerry Nadler, Scott Stringer, Eric Schneiderman and
Linda Rosenthal, I was elected to the Democratic State Committee *where
I’ve been a strong progressive voice -- sponsoring the resolution
supporting the Millionaires Tax, championing women’s rights and marriage
equality and banning fracking. And I’ve joined with other West Siders to
fight for the right of local workers to unionize, help deliverymen earn
fair pay, stop the West Side Stadium and protect “Mom and Pop” stores.

I am ready to be a strong voice on the City Council, listening to your
concerns and fighting for our shared values, needs and priorities. I am
running on an agenda to “Fix the Future” -- – working to make sure every
child has the opportunity to get a quality education, protecting tenants
and providing for seniors, creating good jobs at living wages, fighting
discrimination, promoting fairness and developing creative solutions to
combat the plague of rats, improve our infrastructure, address traffic and
transportation needs and build a better future for all of us.

*I ask you for your support at the Broadway Democrats vote. *Just as
important, I want you with me when I become a City Council member --
providing ideas, letting me know what you need and telling me when you
disagree. Together, we can make a difference for families today, and for
generations to come.

Thank you for your time and consideration!
Debra Cooper
P.S. To learn more, please got to my web site:
www.DebraCooper2013.com<http://www.debracooper2013.com/>