[BwayDems] Sunday, Father's Day, March Against Stop and Frisk

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Fri Jun 15 12:42:14 EDT 2012

Having trouble viewing this email?
Click here

Dear Paula Diamond Roman,

This week we got great news when Governor Cuomo endorsed decriminalizing marijuana possession in public view. Although marijuana possession has been decriminalized since 1977, the "in public view" loophole has allowed the NYPD to unjustly arrest tens of thousands of mostly black and Latino young people each year after asking them to take marijuana out of their pocket during a stop-and-frisk. The new law will make marijuana possession merely a violation, like a traffic ticket, and not a crime that the police can arrest people for committing. Since there are currently over 50,000 annual stop and frisks arrests for small-quantity marijuana possession in NYC, this will dramatically reduce the unjust criminalization of our youth.You can watch a video I filmed with the Drug Policy Alliance about this issue.

However, stop and frisk is still a major issue for our young people and we're going to take our protest to Mayor Bloomberg's house on Father's Day, next Sunday with a silent march.

Stop and frisk is discriminatory, ineffective and out of control! East Harlem's 23rd Precinct has the highest number of stops in Manhattan and one of the highest numbers citywide. Every day, hundreds of young black and Latino men are subjected to stop and frisk, even though the vast majority of them are completely innocent. They are, nevertheless, forced to endure a traumatic and humiliating experience that would never be tolerated in well-to-do white neighborhoods.

We need to show that we aren't going to stand for this, by turning out for the Silent March to End Stop & Frisk.

Join Us on Father's Day
Sunday, June 17th, 2012
March steps off at 3PM
110th Street east of Fifth Ave
Join civil rights, faith, labor and community groups including the El Barrio/East Harlem Youth Violence Task Force, Community Voices Heard, and New York Communities for Change on Father's Day to show that we refuse to let our children be victimized by racial profiling.

See you next Sunday!

Melissa

P.S. We'll be flyering on Monday to get the word out about the march. Meet at 3 PM at our office (105 East 116th Street, at Park). Let us know you'll be there.

Forward email

Office of Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito | 105 East 116th Street | New York | NY | 10029