[BwayDems] Aug/Sept E-News from Melissa Mark-Viverito

Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito newsfrommelissa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 16:55:25 EDT 2011

Having trouble viewing this email?
Click here
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=qyj9msgab&v=001TJF9TTZcRzXTiP84q7ML3YcsFv4SoyP3Vgc_BNm1OnS0ctUsVgQYKEQi0T_NcQGSQhVtKepomn_JBmunjUjMWXOVV5oE1ire4lhf7F1GC0PUerOuniv-EVS6-efjRoSv5ZU-TPffwjY7_E6PP3qcqxK4yN4_u6Tj

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

News from Melissa Mark-Viverito
Council Member, District 8

September 30, 2011
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

E-News | August-September
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Recent News & Updates

Participatory Budgeting, a New Groundbreaking Democratic Process, Launched in District
8

On September 14th, Melissa joined three of her colleagues in unveiling a new groundbreaking
budgeting process called Participatory Budgeting. Through this process, community
members will directly decide how to spend at least 1 million dollars in capital
funds in each of the four participating districts. Council Members Brad Lander,
Eric Ulrich and Jumaane Williams are the other three members participating in this
process. Typically, this funding is distributed at the exclusive discretion of
Council Members, but for the first time in New York City history, residents of these
four districts will have an opportunity to brainstorm, shape and vote on capital
projects in their district. For more information on the project, please visitwww.mmviverito.com/pbnyc
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTMLzjCqmVers7llByCmT0Y0UtNLy2jyk98smxh65yh8e2ICNCz9FhRwGETMZvKfZi_aL9MXmQFaYjywbVTtRW9Uo9jikBRZP4MZ7lk-4Kf5RMeDbsPLEmaI].
We are currently looking for volunteers to help with many aspects of the project.
To sign up as a volunteer, please visit http://tinyurl.com/pbvolunteer [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTPP8Q-AgQtDN7x3yN2CxQ-oOiVCpAQJb-6pyntSlG3QV0KK0R5-AsqBtVPggrTJmzfojaa7fLXZ-2jKZiea549b6l7mgbHliSUjMuM37IKRmQ==].

The process begins with a series of Neighborhood Assemblies, which will be held
throughout October. To find a Neighborhood Assembly near you, please visit www.mmviverito.com/pbnyc
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTMLzjCqmVers7llByCmT0Y0UtNLy2jyk98smxh65yh8e2ICNCz9FhRwGETMZvKfZi_aL9MXmQFaYjywbVTtRW9Uo9jikBRZP4MZ7lk-4Kf5RMeDbsPLEmaI].
Congressman Luis Gutierrez Coming to District 8 This Weekend

On Sunday, October 2nd, Congressman Luis Gutierrez will be joining Melissa, Speaker
Christine Quinn, Congressman Charlie Rangel and others at Ascension Church on West
107th Street. The Congressman will speak to Ascension congregants at the end of
the 9:30 a.m. mass and then hold a press conference outside the church at 10:45
a.m. with Council Members and advocates in support of the legislation Melissa has
introduced that will restrict the City's collaboration with federal immigration
authorities.

Elected Officials Stand in Support of NYPD's New Marijuana Policy

On Tuesday, September 27th, Melissa joined elected officials and advocates outside
of One Police Plaza to celebrate an internal order issued by NYPD Commissioner Raymond
Kelly to all precinct commanding officers to stop arresting New Yorkers for small
quantities of marijuana if the marijuana was not in plain view. On Monday, September
19th, responding to mounting public pressure from elected officials and advocates,
NYPD Police Commissioner Ray Kelly issued an operations order that clarified existing
marijuana possession laws, instructing officers not to arrest people for marijuana
in public view when complying with an officer's demand to "empty their pockets."

Earlier this year, Melissa questioned Commissioner Kelly [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTMT95vjayccw4-wxbb0iVWsC2LP5kUHekx6_DbaQMulAFkpgZ3OQaHsPI_LQOQHzinHUAkOji0vVcrUa9fPJaHln-eUJmXM6i2ryGuH60xKKmd7Uio0JEINDy1_dleZAt0F6jE4inA_vnLJjHrCjhWQe94JZLvDOtslmAOm8f5E-3LQoSCdeVRmhPSifhWkN1RuqN6hv6lNXGU3BAaPCY__]
at two City Council hearings on the NYPD's marijuana arrest policy, highlighting
the immense human and fiscal costs of this enforcement strategy. Melissa endorsed
Commissioner Kelly's operation order and stressed that this is "a huge victory for
communities of color in the city of New York." But the fight is not yet over. Kelly's
internal order can be made permanent, and apply to all of New York State, by passing
A.7620 (Jeffries) and S.5187 (Grisanti, R-Buffalo). This legislation would standardize
penalties for marijuana possession offences, protect New Yorkers from illegal searches,
save taxpayer dollars, and bring down the disproportionately high number of arrests
among black and Latino men for marijuana-related crimes by eliminating the misdemeanor
charge. Melissa has introduced a resolution supporting the state legislation and
emphasized that she and other advocates "will continue to closely monitor how stop
and frisk policies are carried out in our city and to advocate for the passage of
the State legislation."

Frederick Douglass Memorial Dedicated

On Tuesday, September 20th, Melissa, Congressman Rangel, Senator Perkins, Councilwoman
Dickens, and a direct descendant of Frederick Douglass gathered for the Frederick
Douglass Memorial Ribbon-cutting Ceremony. The memorial honors Douglass, an African
American abolitionist, orator, writer, and statesman. The portrait sculpture of
Douglass stands eight feet tall and is encircled by a large fountain with ornamental
and symbloic features.

Also in attendance at the event was Tony Award nominee Andre Deshields, who dressed
as Frederick Douglass, delivered excerpts from "Oration In Memory Of Abraham Lincoln
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTMA8gFPldwaY5k60Y-7ZPj8t3JRKJ1o_4Dwd32hiKlXjCA4vhIkfdariCqmb06rPjLbuKwYsf3YFV9fJ1brNpRV4QxdOsy6dg7H3hVEkv9jo2vKSVvOSa-cg_-gkWJgXesOln2FNjoEBAT-ZlPDrpsGNv9eRSZrfmnLdIDP5JtBFBan_GVdCjzz],"
which was made by Douglass originally in 1876 at the unveiling of Freedmen's Monument
in Washington D.C. Melissa was deeply moved by the speech and hopes that everyone
will read it patiently and with sincere appreciation: "The struggle against oppression
continues today and will endure for years to come. Douglass' words are an invaluable
inspiration to keep fighting for justice." For more information, visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-Kr
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTM0MuHVMWeJNmbD4h8YXBQt673vEyMBZL9ZYuhO80seD-k2xv5Oque0BAMT81JFvNC_E1Yef3vMgCaiVH2Cd1-qyC7S9ksDcoQ=].

Bike Lanes Coming to El Barrio/East Harlem!

Protected bike lanes are coming to El Barrio/East Harlem. Last week, Community Board
11's Transportation Committee endorsed a plan that would place bike lanes between
125th Street and 96th Street along 1st and 2nd Avenues. At the hearing, Melissa
spoke in favor of bike lanes, which are not only proven to reduce injuries to bikers
but also to improve the overall health of communities. Melissa also highlighted
the benefits to our senior residents who should have an easier time crossing the
street under the new layout.

It had previously appeared that El Barrio/East Harlem had been dropped from the
list of neighborhoods set to receive bike lanes, which was ironic since, outside
of lower Manhattan and northwestern Brooklyn, East Harlem boasts the most bikers
in the city. The community and advocacy groups engaged in a number of actions, including
sending 2,500 hand written letters to DOT officials and a rally on the steps of
City Hall to put pressure on city officials, which Melissa also attended.

Forceful demands from the community have succeeded. The lanes are on their way and
could appear along 2nd Avenue as early as Spring 2012. All that is left is approval
from Community Board 11 at its next full board meeting. We would like to thank
everyone who contributed to and were supportive of this important effort.

Fifth Annual Youth Fair!

On August 30th, Melissa and the El Barrio/East Harlem Youth Violence Task Force
[http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTOsdjW4KJ0QPyauAfKF2_TsnfeclhBh39ffIaWdMLmkKkXIDMhErxDDxzLhox98thgqw_71k383zJN4W_hAwKUsGL4DlqvP93vvWH9zUszf8hdBWwC_de83jF_UgZznnlA8Be-Soi5rmA==]
hosted the Fifth Annual Youth Fair. The event took place from 12noon to 4pm, featured
give aways, music, and a talent show, and highlighted the work we have been engaged
in to stop the violence in our community. It was a huge success and we will continue
to hold events throughout the coming year that will bring local youth together to
support them, connect them with services and work with them directly to reduce violence
in our community.

West Side and Bronx Office Hours Resume in New Locations

We are pleased to announce that we will be resuming Constituent Intake Hours for
residents of the Manhattan Valley/Upper West Side and the South Bronx parts of
our district! These office hours will now be held in new locations and at new times.
On the West Side, Intake Hours will be held at the Children's Aid Society's Frederick
Douglass Center (885 Columbus Avenue @ 104th Street) from 2-4 pm every other Friday
beginning on September 30, 2011. The Bronx intake Hours will be held at the Millbrook
Community Center (201 St. Ann's Avenue @ 137th Street) every other Tuesday between
the hours of 10 am-12:00 pm. in Mott Haven. The upcoming dates are as follows:

OCTOBER BRONX HOURS: Tuesday, October 11th and 25th from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

OCTOBER WEST SIDE HOURS: Tuesday, October 14th and 28th from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

We thank the Columbus Amsterdam BID and St. Benedict the Moor for generously hosting
us for a number of months, as well as the Children's Aid Society and Millbrook Community
Center for agreeing to offer us our new location. If you cannot make it to these
locations during these times, please feel free to call us at our District Office
for assistance, or you are welcome to come into the office at any time during Constituent
Walk-In Days (Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 10 am to 6 pm). Our District Office
is located at 105 East 116th Street between Lexington and Park Avenues and can be
reached by calling (212) 828-9800.

Expanding Services for Our Growing Chinese Population

We began offering Chinese language constituent hours this August and hope to continue
into the fall. The El Barrio/East Harlem community has seen a notable increase in
the number of Chinese residents. Melissa and her staff have set out to expand outreach
and services to ensure that these newer residents feel welcomed in the neighborhood
and have resources in their language that they can rely on locally. We are currently
determining the fall Chinese language constituent hours schedule, and will share
this information on our blog (www.mmviverito.com [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTOY7Wb32k8zg7BLFbsjthja90VJjWLUXfsduP9DiDfyERl-yBKBu1VEtNa2scDLuWgFMK3L4UkpcU7h3p75PHdf5Aw9_k_I6zun1rZxDZTtDw==])
when it becomes available.

Street Co-Named for Former Councilman Philip Reed

On Saturday, September 10th, the corner of E. 111th Street and 1st Avenue was co-named
Philip Reed Way, in recognition of the former Councilman's commitment to El Barrio/East
Harlem and New Yorkers across the City. Council Member Reed was elected to serve
City Council District 8 in 1997. He made history, being the first openly black gay
member of the Council.

Reed was a legend before his election. He had a long history of advocacy that included
participating in the original Stonewall riots and running a service program in Brooklyn
for people with H.I.V. Reed's advocacy continued after being elected to the Council,
where, as a member of the Health Committee, he fought to preserve HIV/AIDS funding
from cuts. He also championed asthma-related legislation, since District 8, which
covers El Barrio/East Harlem and part of the South Bronx, has some of the highest
rates of asthma in New York State.

Melissa Sends Letter to the New York State Department of Health Commissioner Calling
for a Public Hearing Regarding Jewish Home Lifecare (JHL's) Possible Relocation
to 97th Street

Melissa has sent another follow up letter to the New York State Department of Health
Commissioner Nirav Shah, MD, MPH. In the letter, Melissa wrote:

"I am writing to you on behalf of the constituents of my district, many of whom
continue to be deeply concerned about a newly-purported plan by Jewish Home and
Hospital (now known as Jewish Home Lifecare or JHL) to construct a residential healthcare
facility on West 97th Street in Manhattan. Before being able to continue with its
plans, I again call upon the State Department of Health to convene a public hearing,
where residents' concerns about the project can be heard and taken into account."
The full letter is available at: http://scr.bi/pgQv5G [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTNkQ8Ua1LxEHZsveRblI-3nxiG1cQgEWZL5MWv0wmsJUOa8S69XgKUtrzVIkQ-LMw69o5NakV9X8ZAdBxtawjsOLEnwctywfls=].

PARKS NEWS: Parks Chair Responds to Agreement between Boathouse Workers and Dean
Poll

Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito, Chair of the Parks & Recreation Committee
issued the following statement in response to the agreement reached between the
workers of the Central Park Boathouse and its owner Dean Poll: "The agreement that
has been reached at the Central Park Boathouse represents a major victory for workers'
rights in our city. I hope this sends a clear message to other owners, particularly
those operating on city-owned property, that labor protections must be respected.
I thank Dean Poll and the City for engaging in good faith negotiations with the
New York Hotel Trades Council. I also thank the HTC and all of the workers who have
courageously stood against unfair labor practices and congratulate them on their
incredible victory."

Melissa Joins LGBT Groups as They Mourn the Death of Camila Guzman

On Thursday, August 11th Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito gathered with LGBT
groups, community leaders, and Elected Officials in a candle light vigil mourning
the death of Camila Guzman, a transgender woman found stabbed to death in her New
York apartment. "It is important that we denounce any act of violence against the
transgender community and send the message that such violence will not be tolerated
in El Barrio/East Harlem or anywhere in this city,"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upcoming Events

El Taller Latino/Grady Alexis Gallery:9/11 Past, Present, Future

When: Until October 10th, 2011

Where: 2710 Broadway, New York, NY

East Harlem Taste Trolley 2011

When: Thursday, September 29th, Pick-ups at 4:00pm and 7:00pm

Where: Poets Den Gallery, 309 E. 108th Street, El Barrio, New York 10029 (Reception
in the Art Gallery Afterwards)

A delicious tour of the best Restaurants and Cafes in East Harlem. There will be
an evening filled with beautiful art, music and delicious food. Tickets $25.

"You Are More Than Enough": NYC Book Release and Reception

When: Thursday, September 29th, 6-9:00pm

Where: Poets Den Gallery, 309 E. 108th Street, El Barrio, New York 10029

A journey to freedom, joy and self expression. Written by Gloria Rodriguez. RSVP:
212.427.1445

Whole Foods Jazz Legends Series: Sugar Hill Quartet

When: Friday, September 30th, 5-7:00pm

Where: 808 Columbus Ave. & W. 97 St.

The Black Panther Party Film Festival

When: September 30th, October 1st, 7th, and 8th

Where: Malyes Cinema, 343 Malcolm X Boulevard btw 127th and 128th Street

Celebrating the 45th Anniversary of the founding of the Black Panther Party's and
their 10 Point Program #8 on Political Prisoners: "We want freedom for all black
men held in federal, state, county and city prisons and jails. We believe that
all black people should be released from the many jails and prisons because they
have not received a fair and impartial trial."

Los Padres Foundation Hosts First Annual Benefit Concert For Scholarship Fund

When: October 1st, 8:00pm

Where: Lehman Center for the Performing Arts, located at 250 Bedford Park Blvd.
in the Bronx

The Los Padres Foundation is pleased to present an inaugural benefit concert fundraiser
on October 1, 2011 at 8:00 pm at Lehman Center for the Performing Arts in support
of the Foundation's College Tuition and Assistance (CTA) Program, created for Puerto
Rican/Latino high school students in the New York City/New Jersey metropolitan area
who are interested in pursuing a post secondary education. Headlining this special
benefit concert are performances by Latin music legends, Eddie Palmieri, Huey Dunbar
IV, Dave Valentine, Ray Vega and Oskar Cartaya as the musical director and producer.

Special VIP tickets are available for $150 and include a pre-event reception at
6:30 pm and orchestra section seating. To purchase, please call either Fran Oyola,
804-986-8930 or Carmen Mercado, 917-841-3091.

Congressman Luis Gutierrez, joins Melissa, Speaker Quinn and Others in Support of
City Council Immigration Legislation

When: Sunday, October 2nd at 10:30 am

Where: Ascension Church, 221 W. 107th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam

Light the Night Walk

When: Wednesday, October 5th, 7pm

Where: From South Street Sea Port to the Brooklyn Bridge

A walk to create awareness about Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.

The Hip Hop Theatre Festival Presents A New Play by Radha Blank, Directed by Niegel
Smith

When: Through October 9, 2011, Time TBD

Where: The National Black Theatre, 2033 5th Avenue (btw 125th St. & 126th St.)

Burnt-out social worker Anne Colleen Simpson decides to leave the field on a high
note, with a book detailing her career, but when Chee-Chee, a gifted twelve-year-old
from the 'projects' collides into her life, she's forced to confront his young mother
and the shadows of her past. Infused with the vibrant rhythm and verse of Hip-Hop
culture, Seed weaves through the fault lines of a gentrified Harlem, begging the
question: How far are you willing to go to protect the future of a community and
its children?

Celebrating Boricuas in Hawaii: Past, Present, and Future

When: Friday, October 14, 6-8:00 pm

Where: Center for Puerto Rican Studies, Hunter College, 695 Park Avenue, Rm. E1442,
14th Floor, New York, NY 10065

Presenters: Dr. Iris López & Dr. David Forbes

Inauguration of Centro Library and Archives

When: Friday, October 21st, 2011, 5-8:00pm

Where: Center for Puerto Rican Studies, Hunter College, Centro Library and Archives,
2180 Third Avenue @ 119th Street.

5-6:00 pm: Remarks by Jennifer Raab, President, Hunter College Presentation of the
Centro Lifetime Achievement Award to Nélida Pérez, former Director of the Centro
Library and Archives

6-8:00 pm: Community Reception for exhibition Labor featuring artists Melissa Cálderon,
Miguel Luciano, Antonio Martorell, Juan Sánchez, Nitza Tufiño; co-Curators: Susana
Torruella Leval and Antonio Martorell

Join CIVITAS at the Kick-Off Event for Reimagining the Waterfront Design-Ideas Competition
with a lecture by award-winning author Phillip Lopate on his book Waterfront: A
Journey Around Manhattan When: Wednesday, October 26, 7pm
Where: Veterans Room, Park Avenue Armory, 643 Park Avenue (between 66th-67th streets)
The event is $10. There is no charge for CIVITAS members (to learn about CIVITAS
membership, visit http://ww.civitasnyc.org/get-involved)
Space is limited. Please RSVP to info at civitasnyc.org or 212.996.0745.

Understanding Afro-Puerto Rican and Other Afro-Latin@ Cultures

When: Wednesday, October 26, 6-8:00 pm

Where: Faculty Dining Room, Hunter College, 695 Park Avenue, West Building, 8th
floor

To have a local event featured in our Upcoming Events section, please send an email
to newsfrommelissa at gmail.com [mailto:newsfrommelissa at gmail.com] with the information.
Event info sent to other addresses may not be published in the newsletter.

This is only a selection of local events. Additional events in our district can
be found at http://www.eastharlempreservation.org/docs/events.htm [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTN6QKK5REgkZM2aUukAVM6-36S73bpsv9yvEoqitwtQ-0Dfgujm86_u_b42v_hVuXmZRsx1WylqPd2t5bkMOqLfZshfIluvamYoVrXDiVQK4djXeylKhh4i5DvgtS69yZY_Vx117mWa6Q99Wsounc4G]
(El Barrio/East Harlem) and http://www.columbusamsterdambid.org/events [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTPD8UAYDlkqifgYHFfoBw8P45b37lEiBnyyvJjchyKjaDZquOCUH86KJ860NJfXvCwhmvit5lfO5RDR_paf4hdtkCrkoHDyH7bu8wbZTbo6A0Px84HoutDlzv1gMiAOx1I=]
(the West Side).

Also, please see the following Community Boards' calendars for information on board
and committee meetings dealing with local issues:

* Community Board 11 [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTMmeOxXUVZs8MLVw86DV2THhHq4dyyYQde4aqYphTeJ0f8ZgAkWlYV6aOMN61UZzAjyUSIrReOCYHTau1ARrkfX0vlXzeWi_olixkN2ALv2NA==]
(El Barrio/East Harlem)
* Community Board 7 [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTP69MfS0ed6dv3lQGhBIXJDgHo3xy3C9dM4hzM6kq-ePBWpX0bWv5Uhzxu6_oaboYqBGWKV2Bz6g95piNsWIx63FNY_QPApPVZHcEh03aPEG_2TfEBdbLIR9Hjh7DWZvWeCBq_mp08MseOwaYdKzbM0nauANErZKXJ2m0MpJOhTxA==]
(Upper West Side)
* Community Board 1 [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTOT66SLTKKGXbtbhu6vFgoLN1PHakDTTAk3E9WeGvRDoXCy2V9CwhW5dsm0fZCFk3qzXFIc-zensaWduw4Mmrdk8f6Rp1fQCK4Lwg_wCqySHDrIwrs6vmtQ9oBXST02yX3TG5jieb6U0vdyzL4EyiUf]
(Bronx)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Getting Involved

The Youth Violence Task Force

Unfortunately, we are experiencing a rise in violence in the El Barrio/East Harlem
community, particularly among our youth. Melissa has created the East Harlem/ El
Barrio Youth Violence Task Force in response to the increase in violence among
youth. The task force has been meeting for over a month and we hope you all will
join in and be a part of this movement going forward. Only through working together
will this issue be at the forefront of our community's priorities. Below is some
information on our task force. If you are interested in being on our listserv,
please send an e-mail to eencarnacion at council.nyc.gov and you will be added immediately.
To read more about the Task Force visithttp://wp.me/PJ9TG-x9 [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTOsdjW4KJ0QPxM2C_w08vfY6SSU83Egx7uu8egSsbrc20AeGlK3dyRYOjl5ZR1zO6bXy2oMUTprJ6pTO8DYRP7uRNVRwwYOD_8=].

Anti-Displacement Task Force

The Task Force is a body comprised of Community Based Organization (CBOs), tenants,
activists, advocates and elected officials who collectively work, as a community,
to confront ruthless landlords, investors, and developers that are attempting to
displace members of our community. Their work brings visibility to the housing
crisis through community forums, marches, rallies and other initiatives. I am right
behind their efforts to empower tenants and community members by providing information
and a local support network. For more information, visit http://wp.me/PJ9TG-CJ [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTNgDYS4rAgGzQBBfuXRvjCvBPk_ybwJCanNkXS-RYeGz2UWd5Ss4FCQ7rHOSAoy_9GvAPA2lje904CSEhWU7a5yEIbBJfgviMY=].
To inquire about the next meeting call Joey Pressley at 212-828-9800.

District 8 Youth Council

The Youth Council provides a wonderful opportunity for the community's youth (ages
13 and up) to take part in local politics in their surrounding community. Young
people become involved with local entities that handle youth related issues such
as; the Youth & Education Committee meetings of Community Board 11 so as they can
see the importance of local politics both to the Community and to themselves. The
youth are currently working on a video project to compete in the New York Civil
Liberties Union "Freedom of Expression: What is the Change You Believe In?" contest.
The District 8 Youth Council meets on Tuesdays and Thursday from 5pm - 6pm weekly.
For more information visit http://wp.me/PJ9TG-CN [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTMcywv7uRZ0XHsXkwGx367A00UkpyEJZ839QIwZhTf66KFxnoh4M_ki22-ZpJdRWeDENC2KqAJpkz5xwNp_BLeZsbz2uatAkOc=]
or contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force is a group of concerned citizens who have
united to help the Elmendorf Reformed Church (ERC) to restore and memorialize its
historically and culturally significant colonial African Burial ground at 1st Avenue,
between 126th and 127th Streets. ERC was established in 1660. In 1665, the First
Church of Harlem, also known as the Dutch Reformed Church of Harlem (ERC), erected
a church building at the corner of First Avenue and 127th Street, and a quarter
acre of land connected with the church was set aside and became known as the "Negro
Burying Ground" (hereafter called the African Burial Ground). To learn more, visit
http://harlemafricanburialground.wordpress.com/ [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTNcQHX39RqwmhPGGnsGSw8V3OOuWKVdRRCw_YZw5g1Ij-jhrx9ffLsjsycc2TGPJqoZoGCjkDMdgPONEvWGdkzSQYx5s3RljhBAmpDwgY2TT5dTZQ7tJKxzrIky16r_d3IerOecTU536Q==].

East Harlem Immigration Task Force

The East Harlem Immigration Task Force meets twice during any given month. Planning
meetings are held on the first Thursday of each month from 9:30am until 11am. These
meetings are designed to design and schedule the Task Force's activities. The venue
for these meetings rotate. Full meetings are held of the third Thursday of each
month from 9:30am until 11am. The centerpiece for these meetings are presentations
on various topics. The September presentation was offered by Hot Bread Kitchen (HBK).
HBK, which is located in La Marqueta, spoke about how their services can be helpful
to immigrants from other countries. For more info, please contact Joey Pressley
at 212-828-9800 or jpressley at council.nyc.gov [mailto:jpressley at council.nyc.gov],
or visit http://wp.me/PJ9TG-CH [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTPoN7MU0BXTm5g5I3T7kiWkYtKKxH7Ui_HkR3YuQxEVA5WPhcT0w8ylVgdoxc9_mE853QjNn5xqk0pfb542pXmeM4KWHqf7Gjw=].
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Constituent Services Information

Our District Office is Located at:

105 East 116th Street

New York NY, 10029

Office Hours

Monday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Note that Constituent Walk-In Days fall on Mondays and Wednesdays (11:00am to 6:00pm),
Thursdays (10:00am to 6:00pm), and Saturdays (10:00am to 1:00pm). No appointment
is necessary.

Upcoming Bronx & West Side Constituent Intake Hours

Bronx

Millbrook Community Center

201 St. Ann's Avenue @ 137th Street

10:00 to 12:00 pm

October 11th and 25th

November 8th and 22nd

December 6th and 20th

West Side

Children's Aid Society's Frederick Douglass Center

885 Columbus Avenue @ 104th Street

2:00 to 4:00 pm

September 30, 2011

October 14th and 28th

November 4th and 18th

December 2nd and 16th

Inside this Update: Jump to A Specific Section

News & Updates
Upcoming Events
Getting Involved
Constituent Services Info

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Follow Our Work Online
Visit Our Blog [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTPu4pGPEXkKiKgDPcEoyjQS-sgCMH1YtI1ylVcdw9OSOze2qi80x-nid2phOahPJLZ7nqMKaooSCWpc0a8S7mMDgXyGxCtvnrQ=]
Find Us on Facebook [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTM5kiTgOX6NpFsedWZqHj9hV5TfbemDVfvTgH54imkGd24-e-aP1CmNuGxSn5nInVVjxojWBexrE_18ZBDI6agiV2uTQEleSFpGsiX5qoT4Cw==]
Follow Us on Twitter [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTOV3l0u_uuGBt4d5bZCUCV7dHtXgB2g0HzVvORvEhmMpv6Ra5EELjLqWnVeDgfJRH1Pj53R7AcXQjxJddDM23KbOO1C3-0aCCiQthhoVS4EH4lo-BHmfKnp]
Visit Our Video Page [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTNfuP1vRQTiXG5tM8X0ildNoM61fxGVcNEYRn9PHU1-_gI0n5QnBUxc-_G9A4gx5Sf48mbSLtT4EklB-pbEvEojVZ75-eoNP_8=]
Join Our E-mail List [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&et=1107906101449&s=119&e=001hDd9BQxBBTPkALJO9PxtgNgIYy5jmbtM1El00fHFDZ2KMGEucGkALWyqaU1T8D7ktljFTro3Evuf8D7kE19MQF1Yh4PEdj0thNdYJqf0DSOFN7qHJZyJXw==]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Contact Our Office

DISTRICT OFFICE:

105 East 116th Street

New York, NY 10029

P: (212) 828-9800

F: (212) 722-6378

CITY HALL OFFICE:

250 Broadway

Room 1882

New York, NY 10007

P: (212) 788-6960

F: (212) 442-1564
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forward email
http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=qyj9msgab&m=1106571503376&ea=bwdupdates@broadwaydemocrats.org&a=1107906101449

This email was sent to bwdupdates at broadwaydemocrats.org by newsfrommelissa at gmail.com.

Update Profile/Email Address
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&mse=0010vBUOKjX8d2pbMgvxvNpWHDQYBgKjIxY&t=001zqsxcQqOjqFfzUPissm99A%3D%3D&llr=qyj9msgab

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=0010vBUOKjX8d2pbMgvxvNpWHDQYBgKjIxY&t=001zqsxcQqOjqFfzUPissm99A%3D%3D&llr=qyj9msgab

Privacy Policy:
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp

Online Marketing by
Constant Contact(R)
www.constantcontact.com

Office of Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito | 105 East 116th Street | New York | NY | 10029