[BwayDems] October 2011 - Monthly Update from Assembly Member O'Donnell

Daniel O'Donnell odonned at assembly.state.ny.us
Wed Oct 12 14:45:59 EDT 2011

O'DONNELL NEWS -- October 2011
Community Office: 245 West 104th Street • (212) 866-3970

A MESSAGE FROM ASSEMBLY MEMBER DANIEL O'DONNELL
Colder weather is upon us! With this change in the seasons comes the
start of the “heating season.” As a reminder, during the day (between
6AM and 10PM), your landlord must keep your apartment at least 68
degrees Fahrenheit if the outside temperature is below 55 degrees. At
night (between 10PM and 6AM), the apartment must be kept at least 55
degrees Fahrenheit when the outside temperature falls below 40 degrees.

On a related note, serious pollution from the burning of heating oil
continues to threaten the health of our community’s children and
ourselves. The worst of this pollution comes from the usage of numbers 4
and 6 grade heating fuel oils. While the city government recently
implemented a new regulation that would stop usage of these heavy
heating oils over time, this phase-out would not be complete for 19
years. I believe this is far too long to wait for cleaner air; indeed,
our youngest children will have grown up by the time it is complete,
suffering the effects of this pollution all the meanwhile. As a result,
I have reintroduced my bill, A7623, which would establish a ban on these
dirtier heating fuel oils on a shorter timetable.

I am also excited to share that later this month I am sponsoring my
annual Douglass Houses Community Health Fair, where you’ll be able to
receive a wide variety of different health services and information. It
will take place on October 29th at the Children’s Aid Society, Frederick
Douglass Center (885 Columbus Ave. at West 104th Street). Additionally,
I am co-sponsoring a flu shot clinic with other local elected officials
on November 1st, and I encourage you to stop by to get your yearly
vaccine before the flu starts making the rounds. See below for more
information on both events!

Finally, as always, my Community Office is open and available to help
from 9AM – 5:30PM should you need assistance or information. I look
forward to seeing many of you out in the community this month.

ASSEMBLY MEMBER O’DONNELL'S ANNUAL COMMUNITY HEALTH FAIR
Receive important health information and free services including free
HIV and STD screenings, and information on diabetes prevention, organ
donation, foot health, and dental hygiene.

**Saturday, October 29th; 11:00 AM–3:00 PM**

**Children's Aid Society, Frederick Douglass Center** (885 Columbus Ave.
@ West 104th Street)

Attending organizations include:
- American Diabetes Society - Amsterdam Nursing Home Adult Day Care -
Center for Comprehensive Care - Dental Hygienists' Association of the
City of New York - Harlem Hospital - Manhattan District Attorney's
Office - Medicare Rights Center - Narcotics Anonymous - New York Organ
Donor Network - Valley Drugs Pharmacy - Vision Services for the Blind -
William H. Ryan Community Health Center - And more!

ASSEMBLY MEMBER O'DONNELL'S UPCOMING FREE LEGAL CLINIC FOR TENANTS
An opportunity for constituents with housing issues to consult with a
volunteer attorney.

Call Joyce at (212) 866-3970 to make an appointment.

**Thursday, October 27th**

FREE FLU SHOT CLINIC
Get your flu shot before the coming flu season! Assembly Member
O'Donnell is co-sponsoring a Free Flu Shot Clinic with other local
elected officials on **Tuesday, November 1st**.

The event will be held at Church of the Ascension (221 West 107th
Street, between Amsterdam Avenue and Broadway).

To make an appointment, please call (212) 544-0173 and ask for Liz.

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY
Assembly Member O'Donnell's Community Office is accepting now
applications for the fall internship program from individuals who are
high school age or older.

To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé by email to
eliasm at assembly.state.ny.us or by fax to (212) 864-1095.

For more information, please call (212) 866-3970 and ask for Michael.

NEW LIBRARY FINE-WAIVER PROGRAM FOR CHILDREN
Do you know a child who has lost borrowing privileges at their local
library because of overdue books or fines? The New York Public Library
(NYPL) recently initiated the “New Chapter” program to waive all fines
for children under the age of 18 and to reinstate their borrowing
privileges if they return their overdue books.

The program is designed to get kids back to their libraries and reading
again. The program began on September 22nd and will run until October
31st, 2011.

For more information on the program and how children can qualify, go to
the “New Chapter” website at www.nypl.org/newchapter

Atención!
La oficina comunicaría del Asambleísta Daniel O'Donnell ahora tiene
empleados que hablan español para asistir al publico, tiempo completo de
lunes a viernes desde 9:00 AM -5:30 PM. La oficina comunicaría esta
localizada en el 245 West 104th, con la calle Broadway. También pueden
contactar la oficina en horario de trabajo al 212-866-3970.

Attention!
Assembly Member O'Donnell's community office has full-time
Spanish-speaking staff available to assist you, Monday through Friday
from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM. The office is located at 245 West 104th Street,
just off Broadway. You can also call 212-866-3970 during business hours.

--
Office of Assembly Member Daniel O'Donnell
245 W. 104th Street
odonnelld at assembly.state.ny.us
http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=069

you were forwarded this e-mail and would like to be added to Assembly
Member O'Donnell's e-mail list, please send an email to
odonnelld at assembly.state.ny.us with 'subscribe' as the subject.