[BwayDems] March 2011 - Monthly Update from Assembly Member O'Donnell

Daniel O'Donnell odonnelld at assembly.state.ny.us
Tue Mar 1 17:34:03 EST 2011

O'DONNELL NEWS -- March 2011
Community Office: 245 West 104th Street • (212) 866-3970

A MESSAGE FROM ASSEMBLY MEMBER O’DONNELL
On February 23rd, President Obama announced his decision to no longer
defend the so-called ‘Defense of Marriage Act’ (DOMA), which defines
marriage as solely between a man and a woman for federal purposes. I
commend him for taking a stand on this important issue. Without this
sort of leadership at the highest levels, our country cannot, and will
not, move forward on issues so central to what it means to be an
American. While this is by no means the end of DOMA, the President’s
action was an important first step in the process of dismantling this
unconstitutional law. Here in New York, I will continue to lead the
fight for Marriage Equality until this right becomes a reality for all
New Yorkers.

On February 3rd, I was also pleased to speak in strong support of rent
regulations at the Real Rent Reform town hall meeting at Goddard
Riverside Community Center. With the current rent regulation laws about
to sunset in June, I believe that maintaining and extending these
regulations is essential. Without these vital protections for tenants,
our city will be unable to retain any sense of economic diversity and
lose a key part of what makes our community great.

Finally, the Assembly is currently in the middle of budget negotiations.
Like last year, our government is facing an imposingly large deficit,
and I am concerned about the proposed cuts to education, health care,
and other essential state services. I do not believe the currently
proposed allocation of these cuts is fair, given that they are occurring
at the same time as the continuation of the income tax surcharge on our
wealthiest citizens is being debated, even though it would supply
billions of dollars to help plug the budget gap. I promise to continue
to fight to ensure that the sacrifice is not concentrated on our state’s
most vulnerable and is instead shared across the economic spectrum.

RESOURCES FOR HELP WITH TAX FILING
Do you need help filing your taxes? Assembly Member O’Donnell has
compiled a list of community organizations that can help you work
through this complicated and often stressful process.

For a copy of this resource, call Assembly Member O’Donnell’s Community
Office at (212) 866-3970 or email odonnelld at assembly.state.ny.us.

ASSEMBLY MEMBER O’DONNELL’S UPCOMING FREE LEGAL CLINIC FOR TENANTS
An opportunity for constituents with housing issues to consult with a
volunteer attorney.
Call Joyce at (212) 866-3970 to make an appointment.

**Thursday, March 31st**

FAST-APPROACHING KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION DEADLINE
REMINDER: The NYC Department of Education is currently accepting
Kindergarten applications. The deadline for all applications is **March
4th**. For more information, call (718) 935‐2009 or visit
www.nyc.gov/Schools/ChoicesEnrollment/Elementary.

LOBBY AGAINST CUTS TO PUBLIC EDUCATION
Alliance for Quality Education is organizing parents and education
advocates to travel to Albany on **Wednesday, March 9th** to speak with
legislators about the potentially devastating effects of the proposed
$565 million in cuts to New York City public schools.

Budget cuts of this size will result in increased class size; the
elimination of programs such as after-school, arts, college prep,
sports, tutoring, career and technical education; and letting go of
guidance counselors and school librarians.

Buses will be leaving from two locations in Manhattan: the Upper West
Side at 230 West 72nd Street in front of Assembly Member Linda
Rosenthal's office, leaving at 6am and returning at 5:30pm; and
Washington Heights at P.S. 192, 500 West 138th Street between Amsterdam
& Broadway, leaving at 6am and returning at 5:30pm.

Please contact Julian Vinocur at julian at aqeny.org or (212) 328-9268 to
save a seat on the bus.

FREE LECTURE SERIES
the Westside Crime Prevention Program and Jewish Association for
Services for the Aged, began in February and lectures will continue
until the beginning on May.

For more information on lecture location, dates, and topics, go to:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/mancb7/downloads/pdf/announce_1960s_flyer.pdf

SUPPORT FOR WOMEN WITH BREAST AND OVARIAN CANCER
SHARE, an organization of breast and ovarian cancer survivors dedicated
to helping women with breast or ovarian cancer, offers free telephone
support, education programs, support groups, and advocacy opportunities.
For more information, go to SHARE’s website at www.sharecancersupport.org

To speak with a cancer survivor for support, call a SHARE hotline:
Breast: (212) 382-2111 or (866) 891-2392
Ovarian: (212) 719-1204 or (866) 53-SHARE

COLLEGE FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION
As graduation approaches for current high school seniors who plan to go
to college, the costs of continuing their education can be a large
concern. However, there are resources available that can help make
financing college less of a worry.

For information on financial aid programs, including grant, scholarship,
and loan programs, as well college and career planning advice and many
other helpful resources, go to HESC.org, the website of the New York
State Higher Education Services Corporation.

Atención!
La oficina comunicaría del Asambleísta Daniel O'Donnell ahora tiene
empleados que hablan español para asistir al publico, tiempo completo de
lunes a viernes desde 9:00 AM -5:30 PM. La oficina comunicaría esta
localizada en el 245 West 104th, con la calle Broadway. También pueden
contactar la oficina en horario de trabajo al 212-866-3970.

Attention!
Assembly Member O'Donnell's community office has full-time
Spanish-speaking staff available to assist you, Monday through Friday
from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM. The office is located at 245 West 104th Street,
just off Broadway. You can also call 212-866-3970 during business hours.

--
Office of Assembly Member Daniel O'Donnell
245 W. 104th Street
odonned at assembly.state.ny.us
http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=069

you were forwarded this e-mail and would like to be added to Assembly
Member O'Donnell's e-mail list, please send an email to
odonnelld at assembly.state.ny.us with 'subscribe' as the subject.