[BwayDems] New York City's Rent Regulations

Daniel J. O'Donnell odonnelld at assembly.state.ny.us
Fri Jun 17 15:42:12 EDT 2011

Dear Friends and Neighbors,

As you may be aware, the laws governing New York City’s rent regulations
have now expired. This is simply an unacceptable situation. While I
strongly believe this issue should have been taken up months ago by the
State Senate, as it was in the Assembly, negotiations are unfortunately
still ongoing as to how the laws will be continued.

For this reason, shortly before the sunset of the laws Wednesday night,
I voted with my Assembly colleagues to briefly extend the current
regulations so there would be no gap in coverage. I strongly believe
tenants should not be left without the protections afforded by these
crucial laws for one second, let alone days, and would never vote to let
them expire.

Additionally, I do not believe that the laws as previously written do
enough to protect our community’s housing. I will continue to push for
rent regulation to not only be extended, but also expanded. I have
spoken with Speaker Silver on this issue and expressed to him that this
is my top priority.

People’s housing is not a political football and should not be treated
as such.

Very truly yours,

Daniel O’Donnell
Assembly Member