[BwayDems] The Time Is Now

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Wed Jun 15 17:52:28 EDT 2011

Dear Friends,

At midnight tonight, rent regulations protecting over two and half million
tenants expire. As you may know, I've been working alongside tenant advocates to
pass legislation that extends and strengthens rent regulations.

Unfortunately, Senate Republicans have blocked my pro-tenant legislation,
instead offering up bills that will squeeze families out of affordable housing.

That's simply unacceptable.

Following my meeting with Governor Cuomo yesterday, I have once again rejected
Republican moves to further weaken rent laws and allow landlords to raise rents
and harass tenants.  Speaking at a rent rally yesterday, I promised that we will
not leave Albany until we pass a strong rent regulations bill (Please see
today's story in the New York Times).

I know that New York, as we know it, will cease to exist if we drive middle
class and working-families out of the City. That's exactly what will happen if
we lose the remaining units of affordable housing in New York.

For the next 12 hours - and beyond - I will continue to fight to make sure
millions of tenants are protected. I am working closely with Governor Cuomo who
has joined us in our call for the extension and strengthening of rent
regulations.

We will stay in the capitol as long as it takes. We will pass strong rent
regulations. Period.

Sincerely,

Adriano Espaillat
State Senator, 31st District

Find me on Facebook and Twitter!

State Senator Adriano Espaillat| 5030 Broadway| Suite 701| New York| NY| 10034