[BwayDems] Restricting Local Immigration Enforcement and Pushing Back on Marijuana Arrests

Joe Paradise jpfound at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 02:47:18 EDT 2011

Dear Council Member Mark-Viverito,
These are two excellent bills and I commend you for both of them.
The behavior of ICE and the Secure Communities policies are shameful
in their unfair treatment of immigrants in our city and nation.
Your proposal for the state to close the loopholes in marijuana policy
makes excelllent sense. I have more than once been on the basketball courts
in our neighborhood where I have witnessed young people, Black and
Hispanic, not disturbing anyone, handcuffed and harshly harassed by the
police over presumably smoking marijuana. these people should not be
unfairly arrested for a crime of dubious merit to begin with.
Once again, I commend you.:
Sincerely yours,
Joe Nunley
President
The Broadway Democrats

> Having trouble viewing this email? Click here

> <http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=qyj9msgab&v=001avab2lDATeNfvFMbpUyToL3WCmpecDvzNeDL_SSjpvq6KZnXA3zfROql1-jCI_Nqs_cbILK7u5CHXG0tkV3O_pPgIkRSLult1EsgtTa_QJmP7F6I3k0hE6pjFMD2ZW5LIRtvjR-ym8pwtaTlo9eXozM2mugnjDPp>

> *News from Melissa Mark-Viverito

> Council Member, District 8 *

> August 17, 2011

> *Restricting Local Immigration Enforcement & Pushing Back on

> Marijuana Arrests*

> *Dear Friend:*

> Today, I was proud to introduce a new piece of legislation as well as a

> resolution in the City Council that focus on critical issues in our city's

> criminal justice system: the presence of U.S. Immigration and Customs

> Enforcement (ICE) in our city's jails and the rampant arrests for the

> possession of small amounts of marijuana.

> Changing policies that unnecessarily criminalize vulnerable groups such as

> immigrants and youth should be a cornerstone of what we strive for as a

> city. Between 3,000 and 4,000 New Yorkers are detained and deported each

> year as a result of ICE's collaboration with the City Department of

> Corrections (DOC). Nearly half of all immigrants who were detained by ICE

> at City jails last year had no previous convictions, and 38% of those

> individuals had a misdemeanor as their highest immediate charge. In a city

> that is so welcoming to immigrants, it is unacceptable that our local

> resources be used to facilitate the separation of families, particularly

> when it comes to those immigrants that have no criminal records and have

> committed minor offenses. The legislation I have sponsored along with

> Council Member Danny Dromm and Speaker Christine Quinn will, for the first

> time, place restrictions on the relationship between the City and ICE.

> Meanwhile, the Police Department engages in tens of thousands of arrests

> for small-time marijuana possession each year. This has a staggering fiscal

> cost to the city -- an estimated $75 million -- not to mention the human

> costs of these overzealous enforcement policies. The possession of small

> amounts of marijuana has already been de-criminalized, but a loophole in the

> current State law allows police to arrest individuals who possess marijuana

> in public view, even when police ask those individuals to take the marijuana

> out of their pockets. The resolution I have introduced calls upon the State

> to pass legislation that would close that loophole.

> I hope you will take a moment to read the additional information below on

> each of these issues.

> Sincerely,

> *Melissa Mark-Viverito*

> *Restricting the City's Collaboration with ICE*

> [...]

*Joe Paradise*
King Lear Enterprise LLC

*Whatever you work on - you need to fall in love with the process and
the outcome will come.*

jpfound at gmail.com
www.joeparadisestudio.com

☎ ny +1 212 316 2963

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION:

This message is intended only for the use of the party to whom it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged and
confidential. Unauthorized use, disclosure or reproduction is strictly
prohibited, and unlawful. You should not use, copy, disseminate or
distribute it for any purpose, or otherwise disclose its contents to
any other person. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete
the message and notify us immediately by return email.