[BwayDems] Park 51 Islamic Cultural Center

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Sun Sep 26 18:25:50 EDT 2010

Hi y'all --

On September 21st, we held a forum/discussion featuring speaker Debbie Almontaser, titled "What do you think about the Islamic Community Center to be built near the WTC site?" It was very well attended which made me feel quite hopeful. As part of the meeting, we passed the following resolution to be distributed to elected officials and the media:

"Broadway Democrats supports the building of the Park 51 Islamic Cultural Center at is present site, as well as its goals of cooperation and understanding."

We also discussed other ways to support the Park 51 Islamic Cultural Center as it begins to fundraise and build. Ms. Almontaser mentioned that CB 7 was seeing to make its community board district a "hate-free zone" and one of our members offered to reach out to her community board, CB 10. We hope to reach out to CB as well.

If anyone want to assist or has any other ideas, please let us know!

Paula Diamond Roman
Democratic District Leader, AD 69 part C

P.S. We apologize if anyone was offended that we held the meeting on the second night of Sukkot. September presented a lot of scheduling challenges and required us to find an alternate location.