[BwayDems] E-News - Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito - October/November 2010

Taranto, Joseph JTaranto at council.nyc.gov
Mon Nov 1 10:23:02 EDT 2010

October/November 2010

Inside this Newsletter:

* Keep Up With Our Work Online
* Recent News and Events
* Updates on Legislation
* Opportunities
* Upcoming Events
* Getting Involved
* District Office Information

Keep Up With Our Work Online

Subscribe to Our Blog: http://newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com <https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com>

Become a Fan on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/mmvfb <https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/mmvfb>

Follow Us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NewsFromMelissa <https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://twitter.com/NewsFromMelissa>

Watch the Latest on Our Video Channel: http://mmv.vodspot.tv <https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://mmv.vodspot.tv/>

Recent News and Events

Reminder: Election Day is TOMORROW!

Please remember to vote in tomorrow's election! To find your polling site, please visit http://gis.nyc.gov/vote/ps/index.htm.

The Latest on the Julia de Burgos Latino Cultural Center

Melissa has released several statements on the new developments surrounding EDC and the Julia de Burgos Latino Cultural Center. They are available at the following links:

* http://wp.me/pJ9TG-p7
* http://wp.me/pJ9TG-pT
* http://wp.me/pJ9TG-qC

Domestic Violence Awareness Month

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Our office has sponsored a range of special activities in the community and in the City Council on this important topic. On Friday, October 15th, we sponsored an event in conjunction with Violence Intervention Program (VIP), Marshalls and Senator Serrano's office that set up an outdoor exhibit to raise awareness on the issue of domestic violence in front of the Ponce de Leon Federal Bank on 3rd Avenue and 106th Street. This month, we also worked with two El Barrio/East Harlem schools, the Renaissance School of the Arts and the Young Women's Leadership Academy, in sponsoring an art contest, where students submitted artwork that seeks to raise awareness about the devastating effects of domestic violence. Winners will be selected from each of the two schools and prizes will be awarded. Check our blog for the winners soon!

Meanwhile, downtown, the City Council passed a bill sponsored by Melissa that will require the reporting of data on domestic violence incidents on the My Neighborhood Statistics <http://www.nyc.gov/html/ops/html/mns/my_stats.shtml> website. After the bill is enacted, local residents will be able to track the number of these incidents in their community district, police precinct and citywide. Additionally, the Women's Caucus of the City Council held a special ceremonial event before this week's Stated Meeting to honor domestic violence service providers throughout the five boroughs. Melissa also honored the founders of the Brides' March on their 10th Anniversary.

Updates on Jewish Home Lifecare (JHL)

Melissa presented a statement on Jewish Home Lifecare (JHL) at the October Community Board 7 meeting, where a number of local residents spoke during the public session in opposition to JHL's move from W. 106th Street to W. 100th Street. She also shared a letter she wrote to the State Hospital Review and Planning Council (SHRPC) calling for a public hearing on JHL's amended application to build its new facility on 100th Street, given that there have been substantial changes from the previous plans for W. 106th Street. The statement and letter are both available at http://wp.me/pJ9TG-pK.

An Introduction to the Youth Violence Task Force

Unfortunately, we are experiencing a rise in violence in the El Barrio/East Harlem community, particularly among our youth. Melissa has created the East Harlem/ El Barrio Youth Violence Task Force in response to the increase in violence among youth. The task force has been meeting for over a month and we hope you all will join in and be a part of this movement going forward. Only through working together will this issue be at the forefront of our community's priorities. Below is some information on our task force. If you are interested in being on our listserv, please send an e-mail to eencarnacion at council.nyc.gov and you will be added immediately. To read more about the Task Force visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-qb.

Melissa Gets an A+ on 2010 Human Rights Report Card

Melissa has received the highest grade in a new report card published by the Urban Justice Center that looks at City Council Members' voting and sponsorship records on key pieces of legislation that advance human rights in our city in the areas of housing, health, workers' rights, criminal justice and government accountability. She will be presented with the 2010 New York City Human Rights Award, along with fellow honoree Council Member Jumaane Williams, who also received an A+ on the report card. The report card looks at 43 pieces of legislation and votes on land use, as well as a questionnaire, to tabulate each member's score. Melissa is the lead sponsor on three of the bills used to measure Council Members' commitment to human rights.

The Cheyenne Baez Memorial Fund

The El Barrio/East Harlem community has seen yet another victim of gun violence on our streets. On Sunday, October 3rd, 2010, Cheyenne Baez, a 17 year old young woman was a victim of a fatal drive-by shooting in the East Harlem neighborhood. The Cheyenne Baez Memorial Fund will support the Baez family through these extremely trying times. The goal of the memorial fund is to raise the $3,000 necessary to defray the cost of homegoing services scheduled for Tuesday, October 12th, 2010. We encourage everyone who can to donate to this fund, as 100% of donations go directly to Cheyenne's family. To donate, visit http://cheyennebaezmemorialfund.com/.

Melissa's Office Launches New Parks & Recreation Committee Blog

We have launched a new blog focused on the NYC Council's Parks & Recreation Committee. The blog will feature regular postings on parks issues citywide as well as information on legislation and upcoming hearings. You can view the blog anytime at www.parksnyc.wordpress.com <http://www.parksnyc.wordpress.com/> .

Updates on Legislation

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­Council Adopts Two of Melissa's Bills Requiring Publication of Domestic Violence and Hate Crimes Statistics on the City's Website

In an effort to continue to bring attention to the important issues of domestic violence and hate crimes, the City Council passed two pieces of legislation sponsored by Melissa, which will require the publication of statistics on these two crimes on the City's My Neighborhood Statistics <http://www.nyc.gov/html/ops/html/mns/my_stats.shtml> website. Under these local laws, NYC residents will be able to track the number of domestic violence incidents and hate crimes in their communities, local police precincts and throughout the city in a more user-friendly way. These pieces of legislation help get the City closer to an earlier proposal by Melissa that domestic violence statistics appear in the Police Department's CompStat report <http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cscity.pdf> . While this is a step in the right direction, the advocacy will continue to elevate the seriousness with which both domestic violence and hate crimes are treated in New York City. The Mayor is expected to sign these two bills into law in the coming weeks.

Melissa Introduces Legislation to Require Reporting of Shelter Inspection Results

Melissa has introduced a new piece of legislation to require the Department of Homeless Services (DHS) to report the outcomes of inspections performed on new transitional housing shelters to the local Council Member and Community Board. Earlier this year, DHS opened a transitional housing shelter <http://westsidespirit.com/2010/02/23/hostel-takeover-violations-landlord-questions-on-w-107th-st/> on West 107th Street in District 8, and many constituents raised questions about the quality of the housing and what level of inspection had been performed. If enacted, this bill would enable members of the public to learn about inspection results before DHS enters into an agreement to open a housing shelter.

Legislation Recently Introduced by Melissa:

Int 310 <http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=718906&GUID=F445A984-4EA0-4BCC-9FD8-20F2DBE899CE&Options=ID|Text|&Search=0310> : Creating a new licensing category for alternative fuel powered classic cars.

Int 392 <http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=784584&GUID=C0AFD12E-76E9-43F9-9517-981B9A621FDA&Options=Advanced&Search=> : A Local Law to amend the administrative code of the city of New York, in relation to clarifying the rights of pet owners in multiple dwellings.

Opportunities

Love Your Block Grant Awards - Application Available

NYC Service and Citizens Committee invites volunteer-led neighborhood groups to apply for block transformation grants. Awards range from $500 to $1,000, and also include support from city agencies and assistance with garnering local media coverage. To learn more about this grant, please contact Saleen Shah at 212-822-9566 or sshah at citizensnyc.org. Applications are available at http://www.citizensnyc.org/projects/love_your_block.html.

Upcoming Events

District 8 Youth Council
When: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Where: District Office

For more information: Contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800

Anti-Displacement Task Force

For more information: Contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800

Outdoor Fresh Produce Market at La Marqueta - Every Saturday

When: Saturdays, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Where: 115th Street and Park Avenue

Union Settlement Presents 15th Annual Día de los Muertos Celebration

When: Monday, November 1st from 11:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Where: 237 E. 104th Street (between 2nd and 3rd Avenues)

For more information, visit www.unionsettlement.org <http://www.unionsettlement.org/> .

Casa de las Americas Presents: Lolita, A Tribute in Photographs

When: Opening Friday, November 12th from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Where: 182 E. 111th Street (between Lexington and 3rd Avenues)

For more information, call 917-945-9877.

Lecture by Roberta Gratz, Author of The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs

When: Tuesday, November 16th from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Where: Trinity Lutheran Church, 160 W. 100th Street

Sponsored by the Park West Negbhborhood History Group. For more info 212-666-9774.

East Harlem Community Thanksgiving Dinner

When: Wednesday, November 24th, opens at 12:00 p.m.

Where: Creole Restaurant, 2167 3rd Avenue (@ 118th Street)

Annual Community Thanksgiving Dinner

When: Thursday, November 25th at 11:00 a.m.

Where: Trinity Lutheran Church, 164 W. 100th Street

For more information, call 212-222-7045.

To have a local event featured in our Upcoming Events section, please send an email to newsfrommelissa at gmail.com with the information. Event info sent to other addresses may not be published in the newsletter.

Additional events in our district can be found at http://www.eastharlempreservation.org/docs/events.htm (El Barrio/East Harlem) and http://www.columbusamsterdambid.org/events (the West Side).

Getting Involved

District 8 Youth Council

The Youth Council provides a wonderful opportunity for the community's youth (ages 13 and up) to take part in local politics in their surrounding community. Young people become involved with local entities that handle youth related issues such as; the Youth & Education Committee meetings of Community Board 11 so as they can see the importance of local politics both to the Community and to themselves. The youth are currently working on a video project to compete in the New York Civil Liberties Union "Freedom of Expression: What is the Change You Believe In?" contest. The District 8 Youth Council meets on Tuesdays and Thursday from 5pm - 6pm weekly. For more information contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Anti-Displacement Task Force

The Task Force is a body comprised of Community Based Organization (CBOs), tenants, activists, advocates and elected officials who collectively work, as a community, to confront ruthless landlords, investors, and developers that are attempting to displace members of our community. Their work brings visibility to the housing crisis through community forums, marches, rallies and other initiatives. I am right behind their efforts to empower tenants and community members by providing information and a local support network. To inquire about the next meeting call Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force is a group of concerned citizens who have united to help the Elmendorf Reformed Church (ERC) to restore and memorialize its historically and culturally significant colonial African Burial ground at 1st Avenue, between 126th and 127th Streets. ERC was established in 1660. In 1665, the First Church of Harlem, also known as the Dutch Reformed Church of Harlem (ERC), erected a church building at the corner of First Avenue and 127th Street, and a quarter acre of land connected with the church was set aside and became known as the "Negro Burying Ground" (hereafter called the African Burial Ground). To learn more, or join and help, please contact: Deborah Gibson at

(212) 534-5856 or dig1214 at aim.com.

District Office Information

105 East 116th Street

New York NY, 10029

Office Hours

Monday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Note that Constituent Walk-In Days fall on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:00am to 6:00pm, as well as Saturdays from 10:00am to 1:00pm. No appointment is necessary.

Upcoming West Side Office Hours

November 8th and November 22nd from 2pm to 4pm

991 Amsterdam Ave (btwn. W 108th and W 109th Streets)

Upcoming South Bronx Office Hours

November 3rd and November 17th from 2pm to 4pm

283 Saint Ann's Avenue