[BwayDems] An Update on This Year's City Budget and Its Impact on Our District from Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito

Taranto, Joseph JTaranto at council.nyc.gov
Wed Jun 30 13:28:09 EDT 2010

A Message from Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito

Dear Constituents and Friends,

I am writing to provide an update on the outcome of this year's budget
negotiations. I hope you will take a moment to read a report prepared by
my office to update you all on the budget, particularly regarding the
resources that I have been able to secure for District 8. The report
can be accessed at http://www.newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com/budget.

The Fiscal Year 2011 Budget, which was adopted by the City Council
yesterday, has some of the deepest cuts this city has seen in recent
memory, including reductions to basic municipal and social services.

Over the past few months, the Council's Progressive Caucus, which I
co-chair, has sought to push the conversation forward on the need for
Wall Street and our wealthiest residents to contribute their fair share
in order to close the budget gap. Ultimately, the administration
remained opposed to even having a discussion on these proposals, again
asking working New Yorkers to bear the largest burden of these painful
cuts.

Fortunately, the Council was able to restore some of the deepest cuts to
services proposed by the Mayor and also preserve the City Council
initiatives that help provide services to New Yorkers across the City.
Additionally, I am very pleased to report that I have secured millions
of dollars in funding for organizations and capital projects in our
district. This report provides breakdowns of the Council restorations
as well as the discretionary funding I have allocated to District 8 in
the Fiscal Year 2011 budget.

So many of you have called my office or sent letters to register your
concerns regarding the budget. I truly appreciate your involvement in
this process. I hope that you will keep up with the work of my office
by visiting and subscribing to our blog:
http://www.newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com.

Sincerely,

Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito