[BwayDems] E-News - Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito - June 2010

Taranto, Joseph JTaranto at council.nyc.gov
Mon Jun 21 11:04:38 EDT 2010

June 2010

Inside this Newsletter:

* Keep Up With Our Work Online
* Recent News and Events
* Updates on Legislation
* Opportunities
* Upcoming Events
* Getting Involved
* District Office Information

Keep Up With Our Work Online

Subscribe to Our Blog: http://newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com

Become a Fan on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/mmvfb

Follow Us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NewsFromMelissa

NEW! Watch the Latest on Our Video Channel: http://mmv.vodspot.tv <http://mmv.vodspot.tv/>

Recent News and Events

A Brief Budget Update

The City Council is currently in the height of budget negotiations. While some cuts will inevitably have to be made, Melissa is fighting to save so many of the core services and programs that have been placed on the chopping block. Shortly after budget adoption (which will take place sometime before June 30th), we will send out a special e-newsletter with a report on the outcomes for this year.

Osvaldo Ríos Declines Invitation to Serve as Padrino Internacional at the Puerto Rican Day Parade

Following sustained pressure from elected officials and community members, led in large part by Melissa, actor Osvaldo Ríos withdrew as Padrino Internacional of this year's Puerto Rican Day Parade. Ríos has been convicted and served jail time for domestic violence charges. For a statement from Latina elected officials on this victory, visit: http://wp.me/pJ9TG-fQ. You can also catch an interview on the ABC program "Tiempo," where Melissa and the director of the National Organization for Women lay out the case as to why Ríos was the wrong choice to represent the Puerto Rican community in the parade: http://wp.me/pJ9TG-fy.

Progressive Caucus Releases Budget Survey Results

Last week, the Council's Progressive Caucus released the results of its budget survey just before thousands gathered at the "Save Our City" Rally outside City Hall to demand that the Mayor find alternative solutions to budget cuts. Among the nearly 2,000 New Yorkers that responded, 89% supported protecting vital services by asking those who can afford to pay to put in their fair share. The survey indicated that New Yorkers support a number of new, progressive revenue options, including closing a tax loophole for hedge fund and private equity managers and fair share reforms to our tax structure. More detailed results can be viewed in the report, which is available at this link: http://wp.me/pJ9TG-gW. Melissa has also published a joint Op-Ed with Caucus Co-Chair Brad Lander in the Gotham Gazette, which you can read here: http://ow.ly/21bUg.

Help Promote Clean Streets in El Barrio/East Harlem by Becoming the Next My NY Local Celebrity - The Deadline is June 22nd!

My NY is a neighborhood improvement program initiated by Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito focusing on promoting clean streets in El Barrio. We need local heroes from East Harlem/El Barrio to tell the world why these issues are important to them. These representatives will urge others to maintain clean streets, clean up after their pets, and be vigilant about litter and other quality of life issues in East Harlem/El Barrio.

If you, or someone you know, would be a good candidate to champion this cause, please submit the name, contact information, and occupation of the person to ngarcia at council.nyc.gov and a My NY representative will contact you shortly. That person will be featured in this campaign in print ads, the internet, and other media. Please note the deadline for submission has been extended until June 22nd. Please help us maintain a cleaner East Harlem/El Barrio!

Melissa Participates in Civil Disobedience for Immigration Reform, Renews Call for the City to End its Collaboration with ICE

In recent weeks and months, immigrant communities have been engaging in a national escalation in support of immigration reform. Melissa joined immigrant advocates and religious and labor leaders in one of a series of civil disobedience actions last month. Several of her Council colleagues were also arrested in these actions. She also recently attended an event held by Make the Road New York, whose members were engaging in a three-day fast for immigration reform. The event focused specifically on ICE's presence at Rikers Island. To watch Melissa speak at the event, visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-fh.

Hot Bread Kitchen Selected to Run New Kitchen Incubator at La Marqueta

This week, the City Council and the Economic Development Corporation (EDC) announced that the organization Hot Bread Kitchen has been selected to run the new kitchen incubator coming to the historic La Marqueta site in El Barrio/East Harlem. The kitchen incubator will provide an exciting opportunity for local food entrepreneurs to rent affordable commercial kitchen space to continue to grow their businesses. The site will also have general workforce development services available, primarily for immigrant women. Many of the details on the commercial kitchen are still forthcoming. To be kept updated on the status of the incubator, please e-mail your name, phone number and e-mail address to newsfrommelissa at gmail.com, indicating your interest in the project.

The Fight for Prevailing and Living Wage Standards on City Development Projects Continues

Melissa is continuing to push forward on Intro 18, a bill that would require that prevailing wages be paid to building service workers in buildings that have received significant subsidies from the City or where the City rents space. She recently served on the panel of a Drum Major Institute Market Place of Ideas event on wage policies and published Op-Eds in El Diario, West Side Spirit and Our Town (links available at http://wp.me/pJ9TG-fF), urging the passage of this legislation. Videos from the DMI event can be found on our new video channel at http://mmv.vodspot.tv <http://mmv.vodspot.tv/> under the "Featured" section.

CCCADI Launches Mi Querido Barrio, an Oral History Project

On June 11th, Caribbean Cultural Center African Diaspora Institute (CCCADI) launched a new oral history project entitled Mi Querido Barrio, in partnership with Story Corps. El Barrio/East Harlem residents will have the opportunity to record their recollections of the neighborhood. These recordings will be part of the opening exhibit of CCCADI's new cultural space, to be opened in 2013. All participants will receive a copy of their interview and can have it archived in the Library of Congress. We hope local residents will join in the opportunity to shape the history of El Barrio that we leave for future generations. To schedule an interview or for more information, please e-mail mmvega at cccadi.org.

Male Council Members and Staff Make a Pledge Against Domestic Violence

Last week, male City Council Members and Staff took part in a first annual pledge against domestic violence, as Father's Day was approaching. This event was organized by Council Member Julissa Ferreras, Chair of the Council's Women's Issues Committee. Joe Taranto from our office attended and joined with the other men of the Council in making the pledge to neither commit nor condone violence against women, and to always speak out against domestic violence. The pledge was intended to continue to bring attention to the issue of violence against women in a city where at least one third of female victims of homicide are killed by an intimate partner. The men who took the pledge demonstrated that they are serious about stopping the tragic cycle of domestic violence by setting a positive example in the community.

Updates on Legislation

Mayor Bloomberg Signs Playground and Athletic Field Safety Legislation

Mayor Bloomberg signed Intro 123-A, Melissa's Playground and Athletic Field Safety legislation. This new local law will create an advisory committee to examine any new surface materials put into our parks. Artificial turf is known to retain high levels of heat which can cause severe burns, and in some cases, has been found to contain toxic substances (such as Thomas Jefferson Field in East Harlem). Going forward, whenever the Parks Department introduces new surface materials in our athletic fields and playgrounds, an advisory committee will evaluate those materials for health, safety and environmental risks, and provide the Department with recommendations on the materials' usage. You can read more about the bill on the New York Times' Green Blog: http://ow.ly/20lzG.

Resolution in Support of the Wage Theft Prevention Act

Melissa recently introduced a resolution with Council Member Brad Lander in support of the Wage Theft Prevention Act, a bill in the State Legislature. Recent studies have estimated that each week, more than 300,000 workers in New York City are victims of wage theft, which typically involves employers denying workers minimum wage and overtime pay, taking back tips and misclassifying employees as independent contractors. If passed by the Senate and Assembly, the Wage Theft Prevention Act would expand enforcement and increase penalties for underpayment and nonpayment of wages.

For a complete list of Melissa's legislation, visit http://newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com/legislation.

Opportunities

The MillionTreesNYC Training Program - Deadline Extended to July 1, 2010

The Department of Parks is offering a paid training opportunity as part of the MillionTreesNYC Initiative. The deadline to apply for this program has been extended to July 1, 2010. Receive specialized training in areas related to tree planting, while earning money and greening our city! Participants will be paid $11.11 per hour for both class and work time. Information on the program and the application can be found at the following address: http://www.milliontreesnyc.org/html/programs/training_programs.shtml

Upcoming Events

District 8 Youth Council
When: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Where: District Office

For more information: Contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800

Anti-Displacement Task Force

For more information: Contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800

Public Hearing on Expansion of Harlem Success Academy Charter School #3

When: Monday, June 21, 2010, 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Where: 141 East 111th Street

Come to learn about the proposal to expand the school's enrollment. There will be opportunities to testify. Speakers must register in advance. Written comments will also be collected on the day of the hearing and via email (charterschools at schools.nyc.gov).

The Power of Aging Well Annual Health Festival (Co-Sponsored by Our Office)

When: Thursday, June 24, 2010, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Where: Thomas Jefferson Recreational Center and Park, 2180 First Avenue

For more information, contact Metropolitan Hospital-Outreach at (646) 672-3203

Savvy Cyclist: Introduction to Cycling (FREE)

When: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Where: American Youth Hostel, 891 Amsterdam Avenue

Sponsored by Bike New York

Free Family Fishing Celebration at Central Park (FREE)

When: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Where: Inside Central Park, 110th Street between Fifth and Lenox Avenues

Celebrate fish and learn about aquatic ecology at this FREE family event. Featuring storytelling performances, an ongoing fish mobile-making craft, catch-and-release fishing, bamboo rod give-aways, microscopic explorations of the Meer, and more! No advance registration. For more information about this event, call (212) 860-1370.

The Dream Ballet Workshop with American Ballet Theater (FREE)

When: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Where: Central Park, the Great Hill (Central Park West and 106th Street)

Part of the Central Park Conservancy's "A Clearing in the Forest" events for families. For more information, contact 212-860-1370.

Casting a New Ballot: Learn about New Voting Machines NYC Will Be Using in the September 14th Primary Elecion

When: Monday, June 28, 2010, 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Where: Second Presbyterian Church, 6 W. 96th Street

Event held by Westsiders for Public Participation

Great Jazz on the Great Hill with Jazzmobile (FREE)

When: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Where: Central Park, the Great Hill (Central Park West and 106th Street)

Part of the Central Park Conservancy's "A Clearing in the Forest" events for families. For more information, contact 212-860-1370.

To have a local event featured in our Upcoming Events section, please send an email to newsfrommelissa at gmail.com with the information.

Getting Involved

District 8 Youth Council

The Youth Council provides a wonderful opportunity for the community's youth (ages 13 and up) to take part in local politics in their surrounding community. Young people become involved with local entities that handle youth related issues such as; the Youth & Education Committee meetings of Community Board 11 so as they can see the importance of local politics both to the Community and to themselves. The youth are currently working on a video project to compete in the New York Civil Liberties Union "Freedom of Expression: What is the Change You Believe In?" contest. The District 8 Youth Council meets on Tuesdays and Thursday from 5pm - 6pm weekly. For more information contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Anti-Displacement Task Force

The Task Force is a body comprised of Community Based Organization (CBOs), tenants, activists, advocates and elected officials who collectively work, as a community, to confront ruthless landlords, investors, and developers that are attempting to displace members of our community. Their work brings visibility to the housing crisis through community forums, marches, rallies and other initiatives. I am right behind their efforts to empower tenants and community members by providing information and a local support network. To inquire about the next meeting call Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force is a group of concerned citizens who have united to help the Elmendorf Reformed Church (ERC) to restore and memorialize its historically and culturally significant colonial African Burial ground at 1st Avenue, between 126th and 127th Streets. ERC was established in 1660. In 1665, the First Church of Harlem, also known as the Dutch Reformed Church of Harlem (ERC), erected a church building at the corner of First Avenue and 127th Street, and a quarter acre of land connected with the church was set aside and became known as the "Negro Burying Ground" (hereafter called the African Burial Ground). To learn more, or join and help, please contact: Deborah Gibson at

(212) 534-5856 or dig1214 at aim.com.

District Office Information

105 East 116th Street

New York NY, 10029

Office Hours

Monday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Note that Constituent Walk-In Days fall on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:00am to 6:00pm, as well as Saturdays from 10:00am to 1:00pm. No appointment is necessary.

Upcoming West Side Office Hours

June 21st, July 5th and July 19th from 2pm to 4pm

991 Amsterdam Ave (btwn. W 108th and W 109th Streets)

Upcoming South Bronx Office Hours

June 30th and July 14th from 2pm to 4pm

283 Saint Ann's Avenue