[BwayDems] FW: House Unanimously Approves Rangel Haiti Bill

Solano, Socrates Socrates.Solano at mail.house.gov
Wed Jan 20 16:35:15 EST 2010

VERY IMPORTANT.. PLEASE SEND OUT TO YOUR NETWORKS

PRESS RELEASE

CONGRESSMAN CHARLES RANGEL

Contact: Emile Milne/Robin M. Peguero 202 225-4365
January 20, 2009

Elbert Garcia 212 663-3900

House Unanimously Approves Bill to Allow Taxpayers

to Claim Charitable Deduction in 2009 for Haiti Relief

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The House of Representatives on Wednesday unanimously
passed H.R. 4462, bipartisan legislation that would allow individuals
who make charitable contributions to victims of the earthquake in Haiti
to claim an itemized charitable deduction on their 2009 tax return
instead of having to wait until next year to claim these deductions on
their 2010 tax return. The legislation, introduced by Ways and Means
Chairman Charles B. Rangel and co-sponsored by 155 other members, also
includes a provision allowing those who text messaged a donation the
ability to use a phone bill as proof of donation.

"We all witnessed the horrendous event that took place in our hemisphere
last week and have united in a bipartisan way to do what we can to ease
the pain of those who are suffering in Haiti," said Ways and Means
Committee Chairman Charles B. Rangel (D-NY). "Working together with Ways
and Means Ranking Member Dave Camp (R-MI), House Majority Whip James E.
Clyburn (D-SC), House Republican Whip Eric Cantor (R-VA), we developed
this legislation to make it easier, and encourage people, to donate to
the relief efforts in Haiti and I thank my colleagues for their strong
support in the House today."

In January of 2005, Congress enacted this type of relief for individuals
that made charitable contributions to victims of the Indian Ocean
tsunami that occurred in late December of 2004. That bill (H.R. 241 in
the 109th Congress) passed the House of Representatives without
objection and subsequently passed the Senate by unanimous consent.

The bill now moves to the Senate, where it must be passed before it can
be signed by President Barack Obama.

* For a copy of the legislation, please visit
http://waysandmeans.house.gov/media/pdf/111/RANGEL_080.pdf

* For a list of the legislation's original co-sponsors, please visit
http://waysandmeans.house.gov/media/pdf/111/Cosponsors_4462.pdf

* To find out more information on relief efforts in Haiti, please visit
http://rangel.house.gov/helping-haiti.html

###