[BwayDems] Fw: A Message From Eric Schneiderman, Candidate for Attorney General

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Mon Apr 19 22:07:32 EDT 2010

--- On Mon, 4/19/10, Eric Schneiderman <schneiderman at schneiderman.org> wrote:

From: Eric Schneiderman <schneiderman at schneiderman.org>
Subject: A Message From Eric Schneiderman, Candidate for Attorney General
To: valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Date: Monday, April 19, 2010, 10:27 PM

#yiv1518534407 {FONT-FAMILY:Arial;}

Dear Paula ,

On Saturday, April 10th, I announced my campaign to be New York’s next Attorney General with the support of some of our city and state’s greatest leaders and reformers. As the only progressive Democrat in this race with a real record of results, and, as the only candidate who represents New York City, I hope you will support me, too.

I am running for Attorney General because I believe there is no higher calling than the pursuit of justice. Equal Justice regardless of race, religion, gender, disability or sexual orientation; Independent Justice without regard to political or special interests; and Progressive Justice that takes an activist approach to protecting everyday New Yorkers.

My progressive values have been tested over and over again – and I’ve stood up for the Democratic Party when others looked the other way.

Early in my political career I became involved with my local Democratic club on the Upper West Side as a District Leader. I am proud to say that serving as a district leader really launched my career as a public servant, as it prepared me to stand up for the progressive values of the Democratic Party in the different roles that I would play in state politics. When it became clear that my heart was in public interest work, I ran for the state Senate. I was elected as a reformer and have fought for change ever since, even when the Republican leaders cut off my office supplies and then tried to redistrict me out of a job.

As a proud lifelong Democrat, I am strongly committed to building our party in every region of this state. I believe the Democratic Party is best served when we expand our base and represent the needs of all New Yorkers. As the Chair of the New York Democratic Senate Campaign Committee, I launched challenges against incumbent Republicans who had run unopposed for years, and sometimes decades. Those challenges set off a political earthquake for a complacent Republican majority that had felt free to ignore their constituents in moderate districts in favor of their right-wing base. Since then, I have been on the campaign trail every election for Democratic candidates, winning seats one by one and prodding the calcified Senate leadership to pass a raft of progressive bills that had previously languished.

As Attorney General, I will continue to fight for the values we believe in.

I will fight for equal justice to ensure that there is not one set of rules for the powerful and another for everyone else. Investor fraud, housing fraud, mortgage fraud, and insurance industry abuses are ripping off New Yorkers and devastating communities in every corner of our state. As a legislator, I have worked to pass a host of consumer protection and anti-fraud laws; and as Attorney General, I will enforce them.

New Yorkers have been fortunate to have Andrew Cuomo as our Attorney General. He has been tireless in protecting working New Yorkers against the banks, insurance companies and big corporations, and he’s waging the fight to root out government corruption and abuse. Next January, I believe our State will also be fortunate to have Governor Cuomo in the Executive Mansion.

Building on his record as Attorney General, I will take on corrupt businesses when they engage in crooked practices. I won’t simply play “whack a mole” when it comes to businesses that break our consumer protection laws – I will fight to achieve systemic reforms.

Independent Justice means rooting out corruption without regard to political or special interest influence. I believe that if you have faith in the public sector, as I do, you must be the harshest critic of corruption, waste and fraud in government. That’s why I’ve been a leader in fighting to change Albany’s culture of corruption by sponsoring and passing rules reforms and the most sweeping ethics reforms in a generation.

And Progressive Justice means taking an activist approach to protecting the rights of all New Yorkers. It means seizing an opportunity to transform our criminal justice system in this state, and in this nation. As Attorney General, I will advance a smart-on-crime agenda to keep our streets safe and our communities whole.

We’ve learned a lot about public safety since I was a Deputy Sheriff many years ago. We know that the three decade-long national experiment with mass incarceration has failed.

When no one said we could do it, I fought to end the unjust Rockefeller Drug Laws that were an economic and moral threat to every New Yorker. I fought to pass the toughest-in-the-nation laws against drunk driving and I’m leading the effort to strengthen our state’s protections for victims of domestic violence. As Attorney General, I will employ the most innovative ideas when it comes to public safety. That includes a high-tech, multi-state plan to fight illegal guns and gangs to protect our schools, streets and communities from violence. And I will establish an Actual Innocence office to ensure that innocent people are not locked up while the real criminals go free.

Out of the many challenges our state faces right now, we have an opportunity to set a progressive example here in New York and show the rest of the country what’s best about America. This is not the time for small ideas, sitting on the sidelines or going along to get along; it’s time for innovation and for thinking big.

This is our moment.

Let’s work together to deliver justice for all New Yorkers. I want to hear your ideas – sign up to receive updates from me at: www.EricSchneiderman.com or call my campaign at (212) 242-5301.

Thank you for your consideration. My experience, commitment to Democratic values and ability to unite the diverse coalition it takes to compete and win in every corner of this state make me the best candidate in the race for Attorney General. I would be honored to have your support and look forward to meeting with you in person as the campaign moves forward.

Sincerely,

Eric Schneiderman

Paid for by Schneiderman for Attorney General

131 Varick Street
Suite 924
New York, NY 10013

To unsubscribe from this mailing list, click here